Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak recoil not keeping up with trigger presses  (Read 1834 times)

lilcheeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2018, 03:23:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Aimtrak recoil not keeping up with trigger presses
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:53:42 pm »
I purchased an Aimtrak gun with recoil installed from Ultimarc, and just finished setting it up today.  Everything works but the recoil will only work every 2-3 seconds.  So if I'm playing Time Crises, the first shot will trigger the recoil but if I shoot 5 times in a row the recoil will only work on shots 1 and 4.  Does this seem right?  I'm using a 36v 3 amp power supply which is what Ultimarc suggests using so I don't think it's a power issue.

Edit:  I may have figured it out, if i turn down the recoil force it goes fast, it's when i have it turned on the highest force that it can't keep up.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:52:17 pm by lilcheeks »

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Re: Aimtrak recoil not keeping up with trigger presses
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:05:31 am »
The power supply is likely cutting out and taking time to reset and power back on. So this might indicate the supply is not the specification stated.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:13:47 pm »

Im no electrical genius...  but it would seem to me,  that adding a Capacitor to store enough energy in reserves,  would be the desired solution.
Which capacitor to use,  and where to install it... is up to the true electrical wizards.   I have a good guess about it,  but Id never trust ruining something of value over a guess.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »

Im no electrical genius...  but it would seem to me,  that adding a Capacitor to store enough energy in reserves,  would be the desired solution.
Which capacitor to use,  and where to install it... is up to the true electrical wizards.   I have a good guess about it,  but Id never trust ruining something of value over a guess.

Capacitor discharge was the first method I researched when designing the recoil but it doesnt add anything to the solution. The best way ended up with a power supply which is current-rated to be able to deliver full current into the recoil solenoid, limited by the resistance of the solenoid and the connecting wire, for an unlimited time. Then, limit the actual firing time to 40 milliseconds max, in order to prevent the solenoid from overheating. That gives the biggest "bang for the buck".

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:42:19 am »
Interesting solution.

I have a feeling that many power supplies Amp ratings are more based on maximum draw potentials... rather than a nearly continuous stream.

I think you should offer the correct supply as a package deal.   Or at very least... give people a solid source link to specific model(s).

(Excuse me if you have done this already...  have not visited the site it a bit due to life being upside down,  and sadly, losing the encoder
in the move that I had purchased long ago.   :(   )

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 07:31:16 am »

The rating of a power supply definitely should be continuous otherwise it is not a valid figure. Most examples of powered units such as laptops charging would consume a fairly even load.

We do have links to examples.

We dont sell direct owing to no liability insurance is available when selling AC powered units within the USA. We checked thoroughly!