Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ideas about building Atari cabaret cabinet - suggestions?  (Read 2198 times)

joeycuda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2011, 02:11:50 pm
Ideas about building Atari cabaret cabinet - suggestions?
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:40:40 am »
I've followed RGVAC for 10yrs, but just got on this forum.  Maybe you guys have some opinions about this:

I have a Battlezone mini project and the, while the front of the mini cab looks fine, the sides are very rough around the edges.  Top of the cabinet (3/4" presswood) is crumbling. .  I've owned 2 of the full size Bzones, and while the art and periscope are cool, they are a beast to move.  BTW - I'm usually a freak about originality, minimal restoration needed, etc..

I recently bought a Grizzly cabinet saw and I've built speaker cabinets out of 3/4" MDF.  I know this will be challenging, but I think a replacement cabinet is in the works.  My thoughts so far:

-disassemble old cabinet
-use as many of the original interior braces as possible
-use a cabinet side as a template, if possible, using flush trim bit
-make all replacement pcs (sides, top, etc) from 3/4 MDF, since much of that will be painted black
-instead of staples, use pocket joinery and Titebond glue
-premium woodgrain laminate

I'm thinking I could cut the cabinet pieces in a weekend.  I realize MDF will be heavy, but I can seal it, then spray it black, so that it looks very similar to the original cabinet.

The front will be very tricky.  Would be nice if I could reuse the front panel..maybe I can.  I could use the flush trim to easily cut the coin door hole, but the marquee recess would suck.

Of course, with all of that work, it would have to be a keeper and it would be the only mini in my collection.

Thanks for any advice,

Joey