Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LCD in cocktail cabinet - viewing angles?  (Read 3375 times)

Zobeid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2021, 10:36:32 pm
LCD in cocktail cabinet - viewing angles?
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:03 pm »
Over in the main forum I just got through telling somebody I'd be wary of using a LCD in a cocktail table, because of possible problems with the viewing angles.

However. . .

Has anybody tried it?  If anyone has experience with this, I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out.

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: LCD in cocktail cabinet - viewing angles?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:32:51 pm »
If you get a cheap TN panel (most 20+" LCDs under $250 are TN these days), you will likely have all sorts of problems with viewing angle.  Things will get dim and color shift when you're not dead center.  Other technologies like PVA/MVA and IPS don't have these issues as much.  PVA/MVA will still exhibit some problems when you go off-center vertically (considering normal viewing), but they tend to do pretty well horizontally.  IPS panels have extremely good viewing angle in both dimensions, but they cost the most and tend to cost even more to get ones with good overdrive to have acceptable response times for gaming.  You'd probably want an H-IPS instead of an S-IPS due to response time concerns.

Finding out what kind of panel a monitor has requires some detective work, at best.  Often it's just not known or documented.  Some manufactuers will even switch in the middle of a production run for a model without changing any form of external markings.  I knew somebody who was hunting down monitors by model number and date code range for just that reason.

In general, figure the more it costs, the better it probably is (i.e. you really do get what you pay for).  Good H-IPS 24" widescreen monitors can easily reach low 4-figures, but you can usually find them down in the $500-700 range.  PVA and MVA types can often be found in the $350-500 range for a 22-24".

Of course, there are concerns other than viewing angle when considering the use of an LCD in a gaming environment.  Response time is the one people are always eager to point out, but contrast ratio and black levels can also cause problems depending on the types of games being played.  High-end LCD TVs are getting pretty good, but for some reason the PC monitors aren't keeping up. Even the very high end PC monitors are tough to find with LED backlights, for example.  I suspect this is just due to cost pressue: people seem willing to drop $2000 on a TV but no more than $200 on a PC monitor.

Given what a good LCD costs, I'd say go with a good ol' CRT arcade monitor unless you find yourself unable to spare the space.

swamprat96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2012, 03:29:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:51 pm »
My experience only runs over two LCD monitors - A dell ultrasharp 1703fpt and a LG L1750SQ - both 17" active TFT

Both are for a cocktail cab.

The dell is clear, crisp and no problems. The LG is still waiting to be mounted but my initial tests indicate its going to have a viewing angle problem- it just does not have the clarity of the dell. I'll know more when I test mount it

I'm going to source only the dells from here on in- its an expensive mistake to make

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:38 am »
The dell is clear, crisp and no problems. The LG is still waiting to be mounted but my initial tests indicate its going to have a viewing angle problem

Check tftcentral.co.uk

Quote from: tftcentral.co.uk
Dell 1703FP   25ms   17" PVA
Quote from: tftcentral.co.uk
LG L1750SQ   4ms G2G   17" TN Film
That's why!

You can use that site to check for display-types. A new kid on the block is A-MVA, which is also good.
General rules:
Dell "Ultrasharp" branded monitors are mostly non-TN panels (also the old ones)
Apple never used TN panels (for desktop stuff)
HP, LG, Samsung, Eizo, Nec, LaCie are other brands to consider for non-TN displays.
17-19 inch is NOT 4:3, it is 5:4 and most displays in this range are TN (except some old Dells and HP's)
4:3 non TN is ONLY available in 20 inch (Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP, 2007FP, Eizo S2000, LG L2000C/CP, Philips 200P7/ES/EG, NEC LCD2090UXi,HP LP2065) and 21,3 inch (Samsung 214T, Eizo S2100, NEC LCD2170NX, ViewSonic VP2130B) That's all 4:3 with good angles folks!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:06:24 am by Blanka »

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:37:49 am »
4:3 non TN is ONLY available in 20 inch (.... ViewSonic VP2130B) That's all 4:3 with good angles folks!

For what it's worth, I have one of these in my Galaxian cab which isn't quite cocktail, but very laid back.  I'm super happy with my choice, but I paid almost 400$ for mine and that was a refurbished one.

-csa