Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: B&K 465 XV-1 Pinout for connecting to a CR-23 tube socket  (Read 1530 times)

Amra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2023, 05:22:46 am
  • Save a tree, Eat a beaver!
B&K 465 XV-1 Pinout for connecting to a CR-23 tube socket
« on: May 01, 2021, 08:51:58 am »
I purchased a B&K 465 CRT tester for the right price (~20USD), and it contained all of the documentation, schematics, and came with several tube connectors, but it did not come with a CR-23 socket. (In case you're worried, I am not intending to use this device to rejuvenate a tube, it is far too aggressive for that, and generally has pretty low success rates.)

Rather, I am simply wanting to test some tubes for shorts, low emission, functional heaters, broken vacuum, etc.

I found an RCA F27242GY that had a A68ADT27CX05 tube, which seems like it might be a good candidate for a tube swap, should one of the tubes I have test bad, but perhaps more importantly; since it seemed compatible, I removed the CR-23 socket from the RCA's neckboard, and attached some wires on it in order to make a functional CR-23 socket for the tester.  However, I want to make sure I wire this up properly.

I wasn't sure precisely how to wire it, because the K7000 neckboard only shows a single G1 connection (pictured below).  I assume this means the G1 provides power for all three guns simultaneously, and the chassis controls the emission of each gun by controlling the grounds.

This runs counter to the 465 which has a switch for R/G/B that seems to change the G1 output to three separate wires, and then simply connects all the grounds together.  (I assume I need to combine the G1 wires together and connect that single wire to the G1 pin on the CR-23 socket.)

The B&K 465 Schematic
It looks, according to that schematic, that G1 goes down to pin4 of 1F switch1, and when in the proper position, outputs G1 to pin 1 of 1F switch 1, which goes to the switch for R/G/B, and from there to pins 2, 4 and 9 depending on position. 

According to that schematic, it appears that all the color grounds are wired together simultaneously (pictured below, the ground area outlined in red). 

This would be a problem if I wanted to test a CR-23 tube, because if I connect all three G1s up together so they all connect to the single G1 on the CR-23, then regardless of which position the R/G/B switch is in, all three guns would be connected simultaneously, testing all three guns at once.

I am assuming that I will need to:
A. Add a selector switch to the CR-23 to XV-1 connector that allows me to disconnect the grounds for the guns not under test
or
B. Rewire the R/G/B switch in the unit to function such that it disconnects the grounds from the guns not under test (similar to how to ganged switch above only provides G1 to a single gun, the bottom switch would need to be wired to only grounds the single gun under test).

Does this sound right?

Lastly, I made an image as to how I believe the XV-1 connector that comes from the device is wired, does anyone know if this is accurate?  There seems to be a deficit of information regarding this unit online, so just wanted to pass these thoughts by people more experienced than myself.

Thanks ahead of time for any information!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:51:19 am by Amra »
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver!