Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac-man restoration - Return from Doh!  (Read 100311 times)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: Pac-man restoration - Return from Doh!
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2009, 09:10:14 pm »
I sanded down the cab with 320 grit sandpaper then applied a second coat of paint.

Next color on the block = black

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2009, 12:46:43 am »
I was always told to use a dark colored primer for dark (black) finishes because else the primer "shines through" ?
Guess an extra layer will probably fix it, but it's one of those "rules" you always hear.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2009, 12:54:55 am »
I was always told to use a dark colored primer for dark (black) finishes because else the primer "shines through" ?
Guess an extra layer will probably fix it, but it's one of those "rules" you always hear.

Black paint will cover white primer with no problems, and I think he is referring to the inside monitor area for the black.  The cab will be Yellow, which warrants using the white primer. He may even consider spraying another coat of primer with the yellow pigment in it to give the yellow top coats more depth.

Can't wait for the stenciling portion.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:56:47 am by WunderCade »

Brogner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 29, 2024, 03:01:30 am
  • If I could just get another quarter
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2009, 02:27:41 am »
I've been away from this board for a long time.  I have to say this thread is something I will follow.
You are doing an awesome job on this and I will love to see how it comes out.  Maybe it will inspire me to get mine done.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2009, 05:26:48 am »

Black paint will cover white primer with no problems, and I think he is referring to the inside monitor area for the black.  The cab will be Yellow, which warrants using the white primer. He may even consider spraying another coat of primer with the yellow pigment in it to give the yellow top coats more depth.

Can't wait for the stenciling portion.
Hey, I'm very aware of how a Pac cab is colored, of course the black will only be on the inside monitor area, but he used the same primer there right ? :D

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:31 am »
Hey, I'm very aware of how a Pac cab is colored, of course the black will only be on the inside monitor area, but he used the same primer there right ? :D

Yes, same primer, but I'm not expecting to have a problem covering the white.  I've used black over white primer before and didn't have any issues. 
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

ElGwako

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2011, 10:49:40 am
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »
If you use the same color with a white primer and a grey primer....you will see a difference. The colors will be more true to color with a gray primer as opposed to a white. Even with 2 coats. Though you couldn't tell much unless you made the comparison.
I carry samples i made to prove this fact since plasterers that prime the walls for customers only use white primer. Also, a lot of pre-primed wood comes white(though i'm seeing it in gray now too). If a customer wants a burgundy wall. I usually insist on a gray prime coat first since it helps on coverage too.

looks like a good project. got me itching to do mine. If i can't get this paint off without ruining whats underneath of course

Mimatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2011, 11:59:28 pm
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2009, 09:57:04 pm »
Looking for stencils, or the correct vector file to have stencils made myself, is beginning to get quite (the word "quite" being a large understatement) frustrating.  :banghead:

I've asked, and asked, and asked around until I'm blue in the face..

I'm seriously about to give up on my Pac-Man. It's been sitting here, for three years, waiting on a set of stencils. Hell, I bought paint stipper, and an orbital sander 6 months ago, and it's still sitting in my garage. The sander has yet to be opened.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »
Hmmm...ask Jeff Rothe.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2009, 09:40:48 pm »
Started cleaning up the parts for the coin door.

Cleaned up the coin inserts with a wire wheel on the dremel.  Still need to polish them, but they look much better.
Front (before and after):

Back (before and after):

Also used the same technique on the bolts that hold these in place:
(before and after):

I finally opened the box that had the inner bezel that was shipped to me a while ago.  Wasn't expecting it to still have the plexi but it will be replaced anyway.  Needs some cleaning up and a coat of flat black paint.

Looks like the plexi is just held in place with double sided tape.

What's the best way to remove old (but still tacky) tape marks?  Goof off?  Goo Gone?

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:35 pm »
Started cleaning up the parts for the coin door.

What's the best way to remove old (but still tacky) tape marks?  Goof off?  Goo Gone?

Start with Goo Gone. If that doesn't cut it, then you can try Goof Off. Watch out for Goof Off, though, it'll eat through all paint, most laquer, and many other types of finishes. It'll pit metal too, depending on the alloy. Tread lightly. It works though.

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2009, 03:01:13 pm »
Started to clean up the coin mechs.  The coin return button is really in bad shape.  Any suggestion on best way to clean it?  I used the dremel on it, but doesn't look great.  I think I'm going to have to paint it.

Peale do you sell replacements of these?  It might be easier just to get a new one.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2009, 03:03:11 pm »
Did the next color paint today. 

I'll check it out tomorrow when it's dry to see if I can get away with just one coat.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »

Peale do you sell replacements of these?  It might be easier just to get a new one.

While mechs are fairly universal - though exceptions exist, of course - these are not.  Sorry man, you're stuck with them.  You may be able to polish them.  They were originally chromed.  Very few of the doors I've worked on in the last ten years had much chrome left on it.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2009, 05:37:13 pm »
...Any suggestion on best way to clean it?
The clip below demonstrates using electrolysis on a cast item, but it works well on mild steel too. There are a stack of clips on youtube on how to do this, and the results are pretty amazing.. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 05:53:55 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »
...Any suggestion on best way to clean it?
The clip below demonstrates using electrolysis on a cast item, but it works well on mild steel too. There are a stack of clips on youtube on how to do this, and the results are pretty amazing.. 

I have a lengthy thread in Arcade Misc regarding this.  I don't think it's right for this application, however.  Simple handwork will remove the existing rust easily, but won't do anything for the shine.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2009, 12:45:41 am »
Started to clean up the coin mechs.  The coin return button is really in bad shape.  Any suggestion on best way to clean it?  I used the dremel on it, but doesn't look great.  I think I'm going to have to paint it.

I'd try some of this stuff in the spray can variety http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/products.html Every midway coin return I have come across has been in a similar state. Your right, there is only so much you can do to clean those up with a dremmel and some polish.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2009, 11:29:17 am »
Looks like I'll have to clean it up and spray it.  That liquid stainless steel looks interesting.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
getting ready for Yellow
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »
Removed the masking.

Nice straight lines on the black

Next, I masked off the black

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
Yellow paint...Woot!
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »
We've got YELLOW!!!!!!!

Applied the first coat of yellow today.  Nice and bright

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2024, 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »
looks great, been following this thread for a while now; one of my fave reads
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »
That yellow looks nice.  Have you decided on when to apply the blue speckling?  There are not any blue specks within the actual artwork areas on the original paint job, so this tells me they either masked the artwork and speckled it, or the did it before they stenciled the artwork on the cab.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »
That yellow looks nice.  Have you decided on when to apply the blue speckling?  There are not any blue specks within the actual artwork areas on the original paint job, so this tells me they either masked the artwork and speckled it, or the did it before they stenciled the artwork on the cab.

I'm planning on doing the blue speckles after the yellow and before using the stencils.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2009, 03:29:19 pm »
YELLOW!!! That's got to feel pretty good to see that going on? Thats a huge transformation. I'm a HUGE fan of yellow arcade machines  :applaud:
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2009, 04:53:15 pm »
YELLOW!!! That's got to feel pretty good to see that going on? Thats a huge transformation. I'm a HUGE fan of yellow arcade machines  :applaud:

Yeah it does.  It's finally starting to look like Pac-man.  Maybe I'll just stop here and put it between two other games?    :laugh2:  NOT!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2009, 04:12:02 pm »
Second coat of yellow paint was applied today:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2009, 01:15:33 pm »
Coat number 3 of Yellow:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:29:13 am by Spyridon »

WunderCade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2009, 07:26:06 pm »
Is that the final coat of yellow?  lol

I think we are all right there with ya about tackling the stencil.  But there's only one way to know....

Superully

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2016, 02:48:27 am
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »
i'll be starting my pac-man restoration shortly and i'm curious to know how much paint you bought for each colour. could you give me something to work with, please?

i'm still struggling to find the correct colours, too. The colours on my twobits repro overlay are completely different from the one on my cab (blue and red are much darker on the overlay, yellow isn't that bright and "poppy"). did you match your colours to the cab's original colours or to the repro overlay?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2009, 02:37:30 pm »
i'll be starting my pac-man restoration shortly and i'm curious to know how much paint you bought for each colour. could you give me something to work with, please?

i'm still struggling to find the correct colours, too. The colours on my twobits repro overlay are completely different from the one on my cab (blue and red are much darker on the overlay, yellow isn't that bright and "poppy"). did you match your colours to the cab's original colours or to the repro overlay?

I got the paint codes from someone on KLOV that had them computer matched.  I think he matched the yellow to the original cab and the other colors to the repro CPO (but I'm not sure).  I'll post the paint codes and sizes later in the week (I'm out of town on business right now)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2009, 02:39:41 pm »
Is that the final coat of yellow?  lol

I think we are all right there with ya about tackling the stencil.  But there's only one way to know....

What?  You guys don't like to see repeating pictures of yellow cabs?

I may do one more coat of yellow, because I have paint left.  I don't plan on doing another pac-man so I may as well use it.  I'll look over the cab later and see what it looks like.  If I can get time to paint on Thursday night, I'll add one more yellow.  No matter what, I will be painting the first stencil on Saturday!

Superully

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2016, 02:48:27 am
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:21 pm »
I got the paint codes from someone on KLOV that had them computer matched.  I think he matched the yellow to the original cab and the other colors to the repro CPO (but I'm not sure).  I'll post the paint codes and sizes later in the week (I'm out of town on business right now)

problem is that you guys in the usa have other base colours than we europeans, so i guess the paint codes aren't of any use, or am i wrong here? can those american codes be applied to european base colours?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2009, 11:16:33 am »

problem is that you guys in the usa have other base colours than we europeans, so i guess the paint codes aren't of any use, or am i wrong here? can those american codes be applied to european base colours?

Well, in this case, the paint I'm using is PPG automotive paint.  They may be international?

If it came down to it, I can facilitate shipping the paint to you (can you ship paint?), but then you are adding costs to what is already very expensive paint.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2009, 06:13:53 am »
...problem is that you guys in the usa have other base colours than we europeans, so i guess the paint codes aren't of any use, or am i wrong here? can those american codes be applied to european base colours?

I have had vehicle paints mixed for spraying really old cars many times in the UK. Its really common for the pigments to no longer be available or for pigments to be specified that were never available in the UK. Most dedicated paint suppliers can deal with that and can cross reference to those that are available.

You could use the American Auto paint codes to get a can of Nitro mixed up using European pigment equivalents, then spray a piece of steel, card or whatever that you could then take to somewhere like Homebase (in the UK, but I'm sure all countries have DIY stores that can do the same) and they would be able to colour match it and produce paint in whatever finish you require (low VOC gloss, eggshell, satin or whatever)

My MAME build will be finished with Formica Laminate in chrome yellow on the outside but the inside of the cab will be colour matched and painted in Dulux eggshell using the sample card of laminate supplied by Formica. Homebase can just as easily colour match an original colour of a cab if can get a sample. Getting the Auto paint mixed up seems like a long winded way of achieving this but at least its an option?

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2009, 07:35:59 am »
I work at an auto dealership that uses PPG. I'd bet that if you provided PPG with the paint codes, they'd be able to assist with matching for other methods.
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2009, 08:23:52 am »
Here are the paint codes I used:

RED

M119 44.5
M154 205.0
M107 34.3
M118 0.3
M150 233.3

BLUE

M119 111.4
M121 79.2
M122 26.4
M117 10.2
M128 40.2
M150 266.3

YELLOW

M152 223.8
M119 34.8
M106 0.6
M118 0.6
M150 259.9

These are for OMNI AU MBC paint which is manufactured by PPG

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2009, 02:48:52 pm »
I'm going to be starting the stencil process tomorrow and realized that I don't know the location of the artwork.  Can someone measure the location (distance from top, bottom, left, and right) for the sides and front.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2009, 09:01:46 am »
I'm going to be starting the stencil process tomorrow

I just realized that I can't do the stencils yet.  I need to do the blue splatter first.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2010, 11:45:04 pm
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2009, 10:16:11 am »
NICE WORK MAN!! Looks GREAT!! Can't wait to see how the blue paint splatter turns out. Don't forget the top and back door were splattered with blue too! Looking forward to seeing how the stencils turn out!!

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2009, 02:51:29 pm »
I need to do the blue splatter first.

Blue splatter is done.

Tools needed: One new toothbrush

Dip the brush in the thinned paint and then flick the bristles to spray the blue paint.  Works great!  Just be sure to stand far enough away so that you don't drip on the cab.  You'll end up dripping a lot of paint straight down below your hand.

Not the easiest thing to photograph, but it looks really good in person.