Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Impressions of the Momo Racing Wheel  (Read 1151 times)

wbassett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
First Impressions of the Momo Racing Wheel
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:17:38 pm »
Okay my Momo wheel came in the other day and I just set it up last night and played around a little.

Compared to my Interact V3 wheel (which I never was able to get to work), this is like a Porche compared to a Yugo!

The first thing I noticed is the weight.  The Momo is very solid and when mounted it is virtually unmovable, I had to man handle it in order to get it to slightly budge.  The wheel itself feels rugged but the gears are a bit loud.  I've seen some people complain about the noise of some push button/joy stick micro switches- I'm just saying if that bothers some then this will 'drive' them nuts! (Pun intended! ;) )

Setup is a breeze, just plug the pedals into the wheel housing, and then the USB connector to your PC.  It also requires a power adapter, so don't forget to plug that in too.

The pedals are just as solid as the wheel.  One thing I like is that the brake pedal has more resistance to it than the gas pedal so it feels more like a brake.  The Interact V3's pedals both have the same feel, which is very soft.

So how well does it work?  It works okay but doesn't feel like an arcade wheel.  The first game I fired up was Spy Hunter.  I could play the game, but it felt a bit awkward.  The original Spy Hunter wheel gets its resistance from springs not gears so that setup has a more fluid feel to it than the Momo.  The biggest problem I had was when trying to ram and bump the bad guys off the road.  The Momo may have too much resistance because it just didn't feel right slamming the wheel to the left or right so you can hit the other cars.  By 'feel' I mean it takes more force than the actual arcade wheel does. 

Next I played some Outrun.  The Momo felt a bit more natural and I had very good control over the game with it.

Of course any 360 driving game is out with wheels like this, but it is very solid and performs well.  I tested this upstairs on my testbed computer and not on the actual cab.  Depending on your cp, it could be difficult to mount and some cp's I'd say would be impossible.  All in all it's a nice wheel.  I paid $40 for mine on eBay and that included shipping.  I'm not so sure I'd pay the $120 that my local Best Buy has it for.  If I had to pay that much I'd probably just wait and save up for a G25 or other higher end wheel. 

As far as Spy Hunter...  if I didn't have a full Spy Hunter control panel sitting downstairs waiting to be fitted to my cab, I'd probably be fat dumb and happy with the Momo.  If driving games are your main love though, I'd probably recommend building a dedicated driving cab with a top end wheel, but for someone that is a casual driving game player I think they'd be happy with this.  Just don't pay full price!  These are all over eBay for half price or less.

I still have other games to try out.  My only problem now is that I can see a dedicated driving cab in my future!

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
Re: First Impressions of the Momo Racing Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:05:48 pm »
I have a Momo wheel and think it's okay. Too bad I don't have anywhere to mount it for use on my cab. Anyway my favourite game to play with it is "Trackmania Sunrise". Have you tried that game? It's a PC game. There is also a full game called TrackMania Nations which is a cut down version but fully playable and best of all it's free!

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:44:09 pm »
No haven't tried that one out yet.  Now that I have a good working wheel I'll check it out.  Thanks!

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:10:22 pm »
Are you using the Logitech Profiling Software?
That allows you to set things like the centering "spring" strength, the effects strength, etc...

On the wheels that support it, you can set the "900 degree" steering to whatever value you would like as well.
(I set mine to 360 degrees, so that the wheel will go 1/2 turn in each direction without hitting an artificial wall).

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »
Are you using the Logitech Profiling Software?
That allows you to set things like the centering "spring" strength, the effects strength, etc...

On the wheels that support it, you can set the "900 degree" steering to whatever value you would like as well.
(I set mine to 360 degrees, so that the wheel will go 1/2 turn in each direction without hitting an artificial wall).
No, I got it off eBay and there was no disc with it.  Does the Logitech Profiling Software support the Momo?  It's a 270 wheel as far as I know.  Anyway.... off to Logitech to check out what software they have! :)