Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Changing Mouse directions in Mame32  (Read 6301 times)

wbassett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
Changing Mouse directions in Mame32
« on: November 19, 2008, 10:19:10 pm »
Okay first let me explain what I'm doing...  I'm playing around with Star Wars and yes, trying to build a controller.

Right now I am playing around with a mouse.  I've used an analog joystick before too, but at the moment am looking at how the mouse works and controls the game.

Here's my problem and question-  Left and right track fine, but up and down are reversed.  Actually they do function like a yoke would, meaning push in (move the mouse away from you) and you go down, pull out (move the mouse towards you) and you go up.  The original Star Wars yoke is opposite and it's a bit disconcerting to play the game with the mouse.

How do I flip AD Stick Y Dec from J1 Y axis - to J1 Y axis + and AD Stick Y Inc from J1 Y axis + to J1 Y axis -?  Obviously it's not as simple as going into the game menu, selecting those inputs and then moving the mouse.  I looked around for a config or ini file but don't see one.  This has to be a simple thing to do and I know someone on here will know exactly what to do.

In the mean time I'm heading off to search some more, I probably didn't word my search right.

Thanks to whoever has the answer! :)

blynkj

Re: Changing Mouse directions in Mame32
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:25:39 pm »
I think is what you need

http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:Controls#When_playing_Star_Wars_.28or_other_games.29_with_a_mouse.2C_the_crosshair_moves_in_the_wrong_direction

"When playing Star Wars (or other games) with a mouse, the crosshair moves in the wrong direction.
These games were played with a Yoke originally, so that this is correct. In MAME, you can press Tab while playing, and choose "Analog Controls" and reverse the axis to correct this."

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:05:06 pm »
Thanks...  I ended up getting it swapped but I had to plug in my joystick and then I could select the inputs.  With the mouse nothing would register even though within the game the mouse worked.

This is on my testbed system upstairs, so no I'm not butchering SW's on my cab by using a mouse! ;)

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:27:02 pm »
I could get more technical on what's going on (some of your original question is phrased with incorrect words, for example), but I'll skip unless you want want it. ;)

One point I'd like to make so you can use your mouse to scroll mame's menus.  Mame has different input names for action up & down, vs menu up & down.  The latter are called "UI Up" and "UI Down", and can be found in the "Input (general)", "User Interface" menu.  You also might want to remap "UI Select" to use your mouse button (or player1 button1) instead of (or in addition to) just the enter key while you're at it.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:36:50 pm »
Thanks urebelscum.

I got it working by plugging in an analog joystick and reversing the axis that way.  It's only a change for just this game so the mouse works properly or everything else.

Sorry about any incorrect wording. 

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:25:46 pm »
I got it working by plugging in an analog joystick and reversing the axis that way.  It's only a change for just this game so the mouse works properly or everything else.

Understood.  But included in case you run into it again, and don't have quick access to a stick, or you make a trackball only CP. :shrug

Sorry about any incorrect wording. 

No problem, if you don't want to know what was. ;)  Might help in the remapping concept in mame, but might confuse instead. 
Robin
Knowledge is Power

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:33:13 pm »
Sure explain away!

Any tips are always good. :)

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • You rebel scum
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:41:49 pm »
How do I flip AD Stick Y Dec from J1 Y axis - to J1 Y axis + and AD Stick Y Inc from J1 Y axis + to J1 Y axis -?  Obviously it's not as simple as going into the game menu, selecting those inputs and then moving the mouse....

Okay, I'll try to keep it short (it's a friday ;)).  Three points:
1 .Mame's input menu, the left side in the game input, the right side the device(s) that mame will use to get the data to send to the game's input on the left side.
2. xyz Dec & xyz Inc are mame's digital to analog ports for digital devices to control analog game inputs.
3. xyz Analog is mame's analog port for analog devices to control analog game inputs.

So,
A.  You don't flip axis with the Dec/Inc stuff; use the analog controls menu.  (You already learned this.)
B.  Don't map mice, analog joysticks, spinners, or other analog devices to the Dec/Inc ports.  (Mame will convert them to digital, then convert back to a faked analog).
C.  Always map analog devices to the xyz Analog port.  And unmap analog from the Dec/Inc ports.
D.  Common terms like "press tab" are short cuts for saying "press mame's 'Config Menu' button, the default is the tab key".  This isn't bad, but it does hide mame's remapability.  Let me revise that, it reinforces that tab is the one and only key and it will always work and you shouldn't change it and if you did you should change it back.
E.  Button combos are possible in mame.  And are cool.
F.  Ctrlr files are cool.

I think that's about it. ;D
Robin
Knowledge is Power