Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project: Defender  (Read 2449 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Project: Defender
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:07:35 am »
"WTF did I get myself in to this time..."

That is what I thought to myself when i was finally able to pull this beast out of my truck and get it in to the garage.  My god is this pile of scrap in worse condition than I thought.  The more I looked at it,  the more I realized what kind of work was going to be necessary...

So be it... if my lot in life is to restore beat-to----steaming pile of meadow muffin--- cabinets,  damn,  this is one helluva start!

The bad:  Water damage on the front and right side up about 8 inches on the right and only an inch or two on the front.  The monitor is non-operational (G07).  The power supply isn't putting out +5 so I have no idea if the boards work or not (doubt it being the bottom inch or two were submerged it appears),  the cab had mud and dirt caked on.  There is some white overspray.  The bezel is broke.  The top layer of the side wood is weathered and cracking something fierce... it's a mess.

The good:  It's a Williams cabinet and I wanted one to make a multi-Williams...and,  uh,  it appears to have structural integrity.  The CP isn't in too bad of shape...and it has a Chrome coin door.

Bottom line - This is going to be a project and a half. 

Sure glad it's on hold until Paperboy and the Pole Position MAME are completed...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: Project: Defender
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:13:18 pm »
Well, the good news is there are things  you can do/test to get it up and running again in the meantime.

Not having a working monitor will hamper that, though.  G07 rebuild you're looking at at least $50 right there, if you replace the flyback (which is likely bad).  But you can pop in another monitor to get the visual.  Heck, you don't even have to put it in the cab, you can have it on a stool next to it, that's what I'd do.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
Re: Project: Defender
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:06:47 pm »
You'll be surprised how fast a palm sander and bondo will whip that thing right into shape. I'll bet you could get it paint ready in a day.