Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any ideas on where to get wedge-based sockets for plugging lights/LEDs?  (Read 1329 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
I'd like to have some when DinoRoger gets his per-game LED mojo going, so I can pop in some of the wedge-based 12V superbright LEDs...

I'm specifically looking for small square T 3-14 sockets with wire leads, not the thru-the-board screw-in types like Happ sells (too bulky for pushbuttons).  Extensive searching online has turned up few leads, and it seems no one sells or will even price these online.

Thanks for any links etc!

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

BillyJack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2011, 12:13:50 pm
  • Must...paint...cab...! Must...buy...marquee..!
First thought that came to mind, auto salvage yard.  Go to a "Pull-a-part" yard and start popping off brake lights (etc) until you find some.  OR go to a auto parts store, find the wedge-style bulb you're wanting, then go through their book until you find a car that uses them in an easily accessible place, THEN go to the salvage yard with your tools (and wire cutter).

That should be pretty cheap.

OR

http://www.happcontrols.com/lighting/49094100.htm

BillyJack
Now I've had my head in an elephant, a hippo, and a giant sloth.
-Homer

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
Naw, hunting thru a scrapyard for an hour to find a dozen lampholders doesn't excite me much  Besides, I'll bet the ones they use in cars are the bulkier ones, and I don't want to waste time cutting them down to size either.  Someone manufactures these, and I bet someone sells them.  I found a few PDF catalogs with no prices, and no way to order.  I guess I could make a few phone calls to find out if they sell direct...  Just looking for an easier solution if anyone has bought these before...

My other job...

BillyJack

• Offline Offline
Are the wedge-based sockets that I linked from Happ controls not what you're looking for?

-Homer

TazMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2020, 12:24:38 pm
  • It's no easy being green.
    • What is the MAMEtrix?
1UP,

How are ya bruddah'?

Anyhey, I know I have seen wire lead T 3 1/4 wedge based sockets at auto parts stores - but like it has been pointed out - might be a tad bit on the bulky side.  

I am assuming you're talking about using regular push buttons (not illuminated ones), right?

I'll poke around and see if I can come up with any alternatives

Oh one more thought, I know I have seen wedge base led replacements for Mailbu lights - might want to check your local Home Depot and see what size those wedge base sockets are - I know they are wired.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
Are the wedge-based sockets that I linked from Happ controls not what you're looking for?

To reiterate from above:

"I'm specifically looking for small square T 3-14 sockets with wire leads, not the thru-the-board screw-in types like Happ sells (too bulky for pushbuttons). "

The ones Happ has are the round ones that screw into a hole on a circuit board, and are probably too big to fit into a happs pushbutton.  I have seen smaller ones that are basically just a rectangular receptacle big enough for the wedge base to plug into.  Whatever I use needs to be insulated, and no larger across than 1/2 inch to fit inside the spring.

My other job...

BillyJack

• Offline Offline

To reiterate from above:

"I'm specifically looking for small square T 3-14 sockets with wire leads, not the thru-the-board screw-in types like Happ sells (too bulky for pushbuttons). "

The ones Happ has are the round ones that screw into a hole on a circuit board, and are probably too big to fit into a happs pushbutton.  I have seen smaller ones that are basically just a rectangular receptacle big enough for the wedge base to plug into.  Whatever I use needs to be insulated, and no larger across than 1/2 inch to fit inside the spring.

Sorry dude, it was early and I hadn't gotten enough coffee in the morning.

BillyJack
-Homer

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
Well, no luck at Home Depot.  It's too expensive (and wasteful) to buy a whole malibu light for one socket...  I'll try contacting one of the manufacturers to see if they sell direct, or if not, who does.

Thanks

My other job...