Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need Gottlieb EM Help (Not scoring)  (Read 2623 times)

Keroppi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2022, 05:40:37 pm
Need Gottlieb EM Help (Not scoring)
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:35:15 pm »
Total newb here...
I just picked up a Centigrade 37...1977, one of the last single player Wedgeheads. In fabulous shape (almost no playfield wear) and cheap as dirt. Reason being: it lit up, would kick out a ball, and that was it.

I researched, read, and identified the (immediate) problems: The stepper unit for the backglass animation was bound (somewhat functional now) and the ball count stepper unit was bound (functional now)

...Now the game will start and play. Balls count as they should (right through game over), pop bumpers pop, kick out hole kicks, chimes and bells ring, But NO score is registered on any reel. On (most) switches I can hear the score motor turn, the lights respond, and otherwise it overall appears to be functional.

I have the schematics, but they may as well be written in a aramaic...Do one of you EM gurus know what relay/switchbank/whatever controls the scoring? I haven't investigated each reel, but they can't all be messed up...can they?

Any tips on what to check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Karetaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2022, 08:19:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Need Gottlieb EM Help (Not scoring)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 04:29:44 pm »
The first thing I do with an EM is clean all the switches and with a fleckstone. Just DON'T knock any of the switches out of adjustment. I clean the steppers up with 220 sand papper to clean the copper. Then blow everything out with an air compressor. Obviously if the steppers are bound it hasn't been played in a while. The switches oxidise over time. You should pull all the steppers apart and clean them all if you are having that much trouble with them. Check all your fuse holders as well. Those old things can get pretty whored out. Replace any that are too dirty to clean or don't have enough tension. After that fire it up and see what you got.

Karetaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2022, 08:19:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:01 pm »
.... another thing. If your steppers are bound your score reels may be as well. Look at it while someone is playing and see if the coils are trying to pull for the score reels. If they are it's bound up.

Will Repair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2008, 06:48:30 am
    • Will Repair pinballs, jukeboxes, arcades and more in Central Florida
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 03:07:34 pm »
I'll try to walk you through the schematic.  See the transformer at the bottom.  One side will be connected to all the scoring wheel relays.  The other side will be connected through several switches.  One of the switches will be on the player unit in the backbox. That switch will ride one of the cams.  If memory serves me correctly another, or two, of the switches, is on the P / U relays.