Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tips on shopping for arcade cabs  (Read 3900 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Tips on shopping for arcade cabs
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:49:01 pm »
I've been watching CL for a while mainly to get a feel for the local market (until I get my next house I won't have much room for more cabs), but it occurred to me that I ought to seek some tips for shopping for cabs. I'm sure plenty of you guys could offer great advice.

For example, I've thought about talking to the manager at a bowling alley to ask where he gets his games, if he has any needing repair that he wants to get rid of, etc. Suggestions like that would be valuable to me. Where would you go to actively seek games (i.e. leg work involved, going to certain types of businesses)? How do you go about passively seeking games (i.e. watching CL or stuff like that)?

And once you've discovered games that interest you, what kinds of condition are deal breakers to you? For example, cabs that have absorbed lots of water.

What approach do you find works well when it comes to negotiating with a seller, whether a business or just some guy in his garage?

It would be cool to have a central location (this thread) for "everything you've always wanted to know about buying arcade games".
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Tips on shopping for arcade cabs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:22:23 pm »
I've taken the advice of one of the other members here. It boils down to patience and networking.

Talking to people and letting them know you're interested in collecting cabinets. I've spoken to a couple of people and so far a good percentage are more than eager to assist budding collectors. I've turned down some really sweet deals (A working Tempest for $200!  :cry:  :cry: ) because I simply don't have the room. My personal network is tiny (all of three people) because I don't have the time to deal with cabinets very much with an 11 month old baby.

The other is, like you said, paying close attention to Craigs. Here, patience is key. I've also turned down some really awesome deals (Baby Pac!  :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:). As of late, CL prices are really skewed. A Pacman has been going up with a crazy asking price of $1200. Prices are way out of whack even for cabinets that barely pass muster. $600 for a converted and trashed SFII cab went up and a really boring Pin for $1,000 has been up for at least six months now. But patience really pays off. I had to let a collection of console games slip by where the guy was willing to trade for a weight set (which I have). Pachinko (sp?) machines are going up for free every so often from one guy (space issues).

I see the light at the tunnel where I can ask for, and receive, nearly any cabinet I want, I just have to hoof it until the end.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:30:22 pm »
What kind of people comprise your network? In other words, how did you form this network?
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

zudmsc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 07:44:26 am
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:48:14 pm »
Free pachinkos?  Damn, in Chicago I have been paying between $20 and $25.

Michael

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 10:40:01 am
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:02:25 pm »
You have to be really patient with craigslist. Most of the people think their games are worth a fortune. I don't know if any of them are ever getting these prices for them. I am going to test that soon. I have a Space Invaders cocktail, and  I am going to list it for $600 and see what happens.

The deals are there though. I just missed a working centipede cabaret for $50 a couple of months ago. I got my Ridge Racer for $200 and my Space Invaders pin for $400.

Sometimes you can get a good deal on eBay, but usually shipping will destroy the deal. I have been searching for a while and I have never found anything local on eBay to save the shipping.

Make sure everyone you know knows that you are looking for games. I was chatting about a DK that was overpriced on CL, and ended up buying one from the guy I was chatting with for a great deal.

Don't buy games just because they are cheap. If you don't like the game much, it will just sit there taking up space. I am going to have to thin out the collection because I have a few that I will never play. I have had my SI cocktail for a few months, and I have played it twice. It gets played a lot by others, but I want to use that space for a game that I want to play. I am waiting on a buyer for my zaxxon now; I have no desire to play the game - even without quarters. As soon as I got my DK, which I really want to play, I new I needed to get games I really like.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 02:51:11 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:04 pm »
Try to go to a superauctions as well, if it's not too far a trip.  I got some amazing scores, and would have bought more if I had the space.  Working cabs were going for as low as $25.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
What kind of people comprise your network? In other words, how did you form this network?

It seems most members make trips to the shows (I missed one recently in the bay area) and do part of their networking through that. I never seem to have the time to go what with the missus and the baby. So the people I've met were purely through CL when I was on my quest for a working arcade monitor.

CL people are a mixed bag. I run into quite a few leechers. People who post ads on CL asking for, "free cabs and parts." Even when I posted my ads looking for monitors, I was getting emails from leechers asking me if I had any free parts to give them. Oi. I'll bet money those leechers are same people also posting ads for $1200 Pacman cabs. BTW, I picked up a blind Hang-On for free less the cost of gas (about $40) the first few weeks I started watching CL. So the deals are there, you just have to keep a sharp eye out.

The ones who are really sincere are easy to spot once you meet them in person. I bought two 25" monitors from one guy who was really helpful and charged reasonably. Even offered to sell me some parts for a reasonable price. It's an avenue that's always open even if I don't take it. I feel bad not being established enough to reciprocate what he's hooked me up with.

Hooking up with local members (or not so local) members in the BST is a good way to cast a wider net I think. Most of them might not be able to help since they might be looking for things on their own. But once in a while, a good match can be found. I was trying to repair an incomplete Hang-On using the sketchy manual scans online and one of the members just happened to have one he was parting out. Not only did he go through the hassle of shipping such a heavy item, he practically bent over backwards to get it shipped again when the package was rejected back to him because of a mistake I made.

My problem is trying to reciprocate all the work everyone does for me. I never seem to have the time once I'm around the kids. :( Turning around and offering and helping is important too. Otherwise people don't bother with offering you cherry picks and good deals anymore.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 01:19:26 pm »
Try to go to a superauctions as well, if it's not too far a trip.  I got some amazing scores, and would have bought more if I had the space.  Working cabs were going for as low as $25.

It should be noted this is the "take anything you can get" approach.  Usually these are beaten to crap JAMMAs or Neo Geos.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 02:23:22 pm »
I'd been looking for a long time (cabs are rare in my part of Oklahoma), then one day I put a WTB message on KLOV and had a reply within three hours.

Drove about an hour and a half and picked up a Track and Field (no PCB or monitor) for $50.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 02:35:32 pm »
One way to score deals on Ebay is to watch for listings that are "local pickup only" and have low starting price. These almost always finish at "below market" prices.
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 02:43:07 pm »

Really, the only way to build your network is to take time for people.  You buy some, you sell some, you keep in contact with those people.  You do some favors for folks, they do favors for you, and keep in contact with those folks.  The more active you are the quicker your network will build.  And above all else have some integrity.  Word travels fast and there are a lot of used car salesmen in this hobby... be one of the people who isn't and your contacts will be much better.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 02:57:37 pm »
One way to score deals on Ebay is to watch for listings that are "local pickup only" and have low starting price. These almost always finish at "below market" prices.

This is true.  I bought a working original Mortal Kombat in excellent condition this way, for $150 dollars.

Singapura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:07:35 pm »
I'm so jealous  :badmood: There are no classic cabs in SE Asia left. The best I can hope for is a $200 Astro City I've been offered last week.
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 04:56:32 pm »

I got my first 2 machines cheap that were ebay auctions. There were zero bids, and when I looked at them I told the guy I could pick them up cash in hand the next day. If you can tell a person just wants to get rid of them, saying "cash in hand/pick up immediately" is music to their ears.

I got them fully working at the starting price of $50 each.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 10:06:06 pm »
If it wasn't for craigslist, I couldn't afford video games.

You can post your wants on craigslist if you don't feel like waiting and checking often.

As far as looking to vendors or route operators, my experience is that they are eager to sell if you're willing to pay top dollar for their broken Jamma cabs. Most I've dealt with are way beyond having any classics available. Then when you tell them you are only looking for one cab, they won't even waste their time on you. Just my experience though.

Craigslist and patience are your two best friends.

Oh....One other thing, and I know this seems a bit shady to some people. But never ever talk about a CL listing you're trying to score on, until you have those games in your garage. Then you can brag all you want.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:08:48 pm by WunderCade »

Hemi

• Banned
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2008, 08:41:21 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15:30 pm »
I've gone to one of the bigger local Arcades in my area (Boomers) and have been talking with some of the techs that work there and many times they can set me up with a warehouse in the area where they have new and used stuff that I could buy or even have some stuff for free. I've even needed a few extra buttons for a cab I was making and the guy was more than happy to go in the back and let me have a few new buttons that were laying around and even and old PCB that was there collecting dust.

The point is, some people overlook the obvious in going to a big Arcade to actually look for Arcade parts or cabs. What better place than a huge building with hundreds of Arcade machine in there.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:17:06 pm by Hemi »
Banned

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:33 pm »
We overlook that option because it damn near doesn't exist.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 09:09:07 am »
I did a quick inventory of current games and found:

2 - eBay
2 - Craigslist (single deal)
8 - Auction
9 - Networking

Networking includes folks I meet at auction, people on various forums and friends of the people in the former two groups. FWIW, I have had many more opportunities to buy cabs from the folks in the network, but have had to pass due to space, money, RealLife(tm), etc.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 09:12:44 am »
For me its:

1 - eBay
4 - Auction (one auction)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:44:36 am »
Networking includes folks I meet at auction, people on various forums and friends of the people in the former two groups. FWIW, I have had many more opportunities to buy cabs from the folks in the network, but have had to pass due to space, money, RealLife(tm), etc.

That's usually how it works once your network is good.  People like to know who the other collectors are in the area and they keep loose tabs on who is into what type of game.  The guys I deal with regularly all know I'm all about vectors mostly and a few specific rasters of that period.  They don't contact me with JAMMA games but if they come across an Asteroids Deluxe to part with I often hear about it.  That's how I picked up the Berzerk I'm doing now - I made it known in my network that I want one and that it would be a keeper/restoration.  Guys like to flip a game to someone they know is going to give it the right home.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 12:47:04 pm »
I have really been enjoying the input of everyone here (keep it coming!).

How does one find out about auctions? I assume these are semi-local, not requiring a great deal of travel? I would love to start going to some, but I wouldn't have any idea where to look for them.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:39 pm »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 02:13:15 pm »
How did I miss that thread? Probably assumed there would be nothing near me in the North West, and sure enough, there seems to be no indication of upcoming or past auctions even remotely close to me. :(

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 07:30:57 pm »
I kind of like the breakdowns people are posting... here's mine (without listing prices):

2 ebay (local pickup bargains)
3 auction
1 from free listings (kijiji.ca)
6 from "the network" (cgcc.ca)
1 uncle
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 05:38:41 pm »

I've gone through a lot of them, but off the top of my head:

2 Freecycle (free)
1 Freecycle (bought)
4 Friends (forum and nonforum)
2 workplace auction
2 yard sale
3 RGVAC

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 06:31:13 pm »
Chad: what does the Tank II fall under?  It's technically a combo of Freecycle and Friend.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:25 pm »
Chad: what does the Tank II fall under?  It's technically a combo of Freecycle and Friend.

I threw it under Freecycle since that's where you found it.  I figured the original method was more useful to the OP.  The other Freecycle games were Laser Cue and Jungle Lord (which I ended up buying).  The Sinbad I got from you counts under Friends, though.  :)

kayoteq

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2022, 02:15:51 pm
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
My methodology to get to the point of saturation:

1. Stalking. Research your local ops, make a point of driving by their shop. Be nice, be friendly, and  await the inevitable dump of dead cabs.
 Singular, usually, but sometimes they do spring cleaning.  And doesn't hurt to ask permission. I think in my case they were glad to not have to lug oh, 3-500 pounds of equipment to the dump that ended up in my house, and much of that stuff is now residing in many member's games.
(have I made money from this? technically, yes, but it ends up being my parts fund, so.. no  ::)

2. Auctions. Useful for a few things:
 Odd lots of stuff that only collectors want versus the population of Ops bidders interested in money-makers..
(who are you here, 'mushroom guy'? you bought my Centipede marquee  :censored: - I guess that falls under 'networking'..)
Good to get that ratty cab with some useful parts or a good start on a project. Galaxian cocktail=$20 out the door. Ratty, but salvagable.

Also useful as a 'reality check' for x game, so you can throttle back your investments  in your own copy of said game. Or justify yours. ::)

3. Craigslist. http://(yourcityname).craigslist.org/search/sss?query=arcade in as big a radius as you dare. Daily.

3 types reside there:

People with games that the monitor is dead/ wonky assume the whole game is worthless but for parts perhaps.
People who have games and assume that you want it to put on location or next to your restored Corvette $$$
Decent price, decent game. It does happen. Usually here.

I hit the 'make room! make room!' level with a #1 from CL. Home use only Atari vector needing a refresh kit and a corner
repair. I drove down there minutes after seeing the post, calling them, paying up, and telling them to remove the listing before..
well, somebody like me sees it. All she had so far, surprisingly, was an offer to buy the coin door.
If you order a pizza, put 1 quarter in their Galaga and the pizza's done before you are, you might be a video game junkie.. if you offer to tweak the crt , definitely.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 12:57:03 pm »
Kayoteq, sorry to be such a dunce, but could you define "local op"? I'd love to start going around to local places to see what they have, but I really don't know what to look for in the yellow pages or whatever.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 01:05:32 pm »

Best way to find your "local op" is to go to machines on location and write down what is on the badge there.  Most ops have a contact badge on their games that include their phone number and business name.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 01:11:17 pm »

(have I made money from this? technically, yes, but it ends up being my parts fund, so.. no  ::)

You don't have to explain away turning a profit on anything. If it sells, then it obviously was a good price to someone. I fund pretty much all of my arcade purchases now with offsetting sales.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 01:54:25 pm »
Best way to find your "local op" is to go to machines on location and write down what is on the badge there.  Most ops have a contact badge on their games that include their phone number and business name.

Cool, I'll do that. Thanks!

Hemi

• Banned
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2008, 08:41:21 pm
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 05:15:54 pm »

That's true, but there are so few machines actually on a location these days you might have a mission on your hands in just finding a machine to look at. That was why I mentioned going to the bigger arcades and doing something similar to what you're suggesting. They are much easier to find.
Banned

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 05:31:55 pm »
That's true, but there are so few machines actually on a location these days you might have a mission on your hands in just finding a machine to look at. That was why I mentioned going to the bigger arcades and doing something similar to what you're suggesting. They are much easier to find.

You must have missed it above when someone else said it:  In most places those no longer exist.  A couple machines in an laundromat are the best you're going to get.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 06:01:14 pm »
Actually there's a bowling alley just a few blocks from my house with some arcade games. ;D And there's an arcade called Wunderland (http://www.wunderlandgames.com/) not too far from me that has arcade classics (and newer games). I haven't been there in years, but just recently told my 6 yr old I want to take him there. I'm actually getting excited about that thought now!

EDIT: I see evidence of the classics at wunderland just being an ultracade. :( But at least I found out about Ground Kontrol. A longer drive, but sounds like a great arcade!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:00:56 pm by TheShanMan »

KiwiArcader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2008, 02:21:26 am
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2008, 08:58:29 pm »
You guys are lucky.

In New Zealand there were never many of the original cabinet video games imported. Most arcades purchased pcb's & produced their own here, probably due to the incredibly high freight costs to ship a cab over and probably also in part due to us using 240v instead of the 110v used in the USA. As a result we never saw the lovely original upright Midway Space Invader cabinets etc. SEGA brought in as they had a local subsidiary so we saw Thunder Blade, Afterburner etc but that was about it really.

The rest were local build generic cabinets and these still fetch a lot of money on the local auction sites. As a result I decided I didn't want to waste good many on a 20yr old cabinet so I build my own now.

Mind you ..... if I could pick up a Wing War setup I'd be in heaven. Loved that game ....

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 11:55:34 am »
I haven't been there in years, but just recently told my 6 yr old I want to take him there.

Remember when the kids wanted the parents to take them to arcades? Times have changed...

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »
True, although my son's interest in arcade games probably rivals mine! Even when he doesn't have tokens, I'll catch him on it just watching the EmuMovies or attract modes.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:31 pm »
I've gone to one of the bigger local Arcades in my area (Boomers)
Funny how Boomers is in the same town that Tommy lives in, isn't it?

What exactly do you mean by that there sick freak?  ;D

richms

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2022, 02:33:54 am
  • s92a sucks
    • richms.com
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 07:04:27 am »
You guys are lucky.

In New Zealand there were never many of the original cabinet video games imported. Most arcades purchased pcb's & produced their own here, probably due to the incredibly high freight costs to ship a cab over and probably also in part due to us using 240v instead of the 110v used in the USA. As a result we never saw the lovely original upright Midway Space Invader cabinets etc. SEGA brought in as they had a local subsidiary so we saw Thunder Blade, Afterburner etc but that was about it really.

The rest were local build generic cabinets and these still fetch a lot of money on the local auction sites. As a result I decided I didn't want to waste good many on a 20yr old cabinet so I build my own now.

Actually the reason was the horrid protectionist government at the time, there was massive duty on importing a whole cabinet, so the likes of chasetronics and some other place made their famous cabinets that you still see out on site with the generic "video game" marquee in them since noone can be bothered changing them.

If they imported the parts and built it locally there was less to pay, and it made economic sense. I don't know if it was chasetronics or the other one in newmarket but they used to send the control panels to dads old paintshop once sanded back for powdercoating.