Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about DOT Spinner behavior  (Read 1829 times)

bitsweep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2017, 01:21:01 pm
Question about DOT Spinner behavior
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »
Greetings all,

I'm writing in hopes that some of you with authentic Discs of Tron machines can help answer my questions about the push/pull spinner.  @Anyone who's got a GGG push/pull or one of the Apache Controls push/pull spinners feel free to chime in too, but _PLEASE_ state what spinner you have, how you hooked it up, etc.

(1) Is there any tactile feedback (i.e. a "click") when you engage the up or down direction on the spinner?
(2) When you push/pull inside DoT, and the targeting "level" bar changes height, does it only move _ONE_ line?  What I mean is, does it continue to move up or down if you HOLD the spinner up/down?  (Like a key-repeat on a PC keyboard...)
(3) What is the travel distance up/down on the spinner?
(4) Does anyone have good, clear close-up pictures of either an original DoT spinner, a TT-2, or an Apache spinner?  I'm trying to get a feel for how they mount, how much clearance they require, and how much play/slop/normal motion to allow for.
(5) Roughly how far about the CP surface does the spinner protrude?  (i.e. How much "gap" between the CP and the actual bottom edge of the spinner knob?)

I'm looking at various home-brew spinners, and fiddling with a couple ideas of my own, but really wanted to clarify how a DoT is supposed to feel and work before I begin any serious machining.

Many thanks,
-S
"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
Re: Question about DOT Spinner behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »
You'll probably find more response from cab owners at the KLOV forums.

As I recall, there was a decent travel up/down on the original spinner. The TT2 has very little travel. I recall that holding/pushing makes the targeting bar continue till it can't; MAME operates that way.

The original was mounted in a metal panel; they are fairly thin. The TT2 is made for surface or slightly recessed mounting....though, I guess you could mount it under a metal panel if you had the knob on only half-way (not recommended for those using a wheel attachment, also).
-Banned-

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 08:42:20 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »
1.  no clicking is felt
2. it does continue to move if you hold it up or down
3. travel from level to up is 3/8of and inch and about the same to go down
5. 1/4"

bitsweep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2017, 01:21:01 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:04 am »
Cheers CW!  I really appreciate the specific information.

@Gray_Area - Thanks for the heads-up on KLOV.  I have generally avoided asking them anything since they tend to go slightly mental when anything even vaguely MAME-ish is brought up.  I will lurk around a bit there and see what I can find.

-S
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:12:15 am by bitsweep »
"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »
Cheers CW!  I really appreciate the specific information.

@Gray_Area - Thanks for the heads-up on KLOV.  I have generally avoided asking them anything since they tend to go slightly mental when anything even vaguely MAME-ish is brought up.  I will lurk around a bit there and see what I can find.

-S

FTFY
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:26 pm »
I have to correct myself on the TT2 spinner height. The gap between the 'bezel' and spinner is 1/4", maybe 3/8", and the down travel is maybe 1/16". So, plenty of room to mount it underneath a metal panel. With an original/remake top, you wouldn't know it wasn't an original spinner....except that it wouldn't be such a pig to turn.
-Banned-

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:26 am »
I've got a GGG TT2 installed on the build linked to my signature.  It is flush mounted and then has a layer of plexi (.125 I think) between the base and the knob.  Knob is secured at the correct level and there is no issue with push or pull.  My data corresponds with what everyone else has given you so far.  I love it - far and away worth the extra money in my opinion.