Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joystick problem (not I-Pac related) and other issues  (Read 1537 times)

Xenepp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2009, 06:53:48 pm
  • Jeff minter is GOD!!
    • Videotopia.Co.Uk
Joystick problem (not I-Pac related) and other issues
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:17:54 pm »
I have MALA setup with two sticks in my cab and it runs ok but there are a few things that are a bit annoying:

1. The joystick
Using the joystick is a bit rough, I'm using a bog standard PC Line USB pad hacked for the stick and buttons which works great but in Mala, it's kinda like Mala won't scan the inputs quick enough. If I press any direction or button it takes about half a second to a second before I can press another button. This makes going through the game list a nightmare. If I test the stick in windows the inputs work just fine. I verified this with Mala's button check in options.

2. The gamelists
I haven't found a lot of info on this. I want to only display the games I have in the roms folder for MAME but I just can't see a way of Mala being able to do this. Can it?

Sorted!

3. Sound
The sound is kinda annoying too. When I scroll through the list, the sound comes up about (again) half a second to a second from the time I actually moved down the list.

4. The layout
This one's pretty minor but could be related to the other issues. I'm using the retro layout from the Mala site and when I move down the list, the little scrolling space invaders freeze for about the amount of time it takes for button presses/stick moves to work. Is that normal for this layout?

I'm thinking Mala itself is actually struggling for some reason, like it's eating up far too much CPU time, I have a P4 2.8ghz HT in there though so that shouldn't be the problem.

Any help with these issues is appreciated.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:32:16 pm by Xenepp »