Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: *edit* MAME Auto Rotates, what about MaLa FE to decipher game list upon exiting  (Read 6016 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Most LCD's these days have the capibility to rotate, I was playing a game and hit the "rotate" view in MAME on my 4:3 LCD while playing a verticle game.. and it got me thinking...makes the verticle games about 3-4'' bigger on a 19'' while in that view. So anyways I should just purchase a vesa "arm" I need it to rotate 360°, 90° , any one know where i can get the cheapest one from ? something like this : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8318947&type=product&id=1174694191873
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:06:37 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

NoOne=NBA=

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
Re: Where can I buy the cheapest LCD "Arm" to make it rotate 360°
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 04:23:30 am »
You don't really need an arm.
Just make your own pivot assembly.
You just need to mount the monitor to a board, and then come up with some way to make that board pivot 90 degrees.

MAME will automatically rotate any vertical game 90 degrees to match the monitor.
Is there some other reason you think it needs to rotate 360 degrees?

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:34:48 am »
You don't really need an arm.
Just make your own pivot assembly.
You just need to mount the monitor to a board, and then come up with some way to make that board pivot 90 degrees.

MAME will automatically rotate any vertical game 90 degrees to match the monitor.
Is there some other reason you think it needs to rotate 360 degrees?

That was going to be my next question, how do i do that within the software ?

Oh yeah and BINGO! i think this is pretty perfect yeah your right I only would need it to rotate 90 degrees..

Neweggs got this for only 39.99 thats not too bad, if any one wants the dimension illustrations : http://www.ergotron.com/Portals/0/literature/dimensionIllustrations/DIM-067.pdf

Hmph.. acording to some guy on a review.. claims you can't rotate it ! you can mount it one way in potrait mode or landscape... that totally defeats my purpose for it if thats the case. But makes no sense because according to ergotrons site the say: "When used with 24" display: Monitor will hit base when rotated from landscape to portrait mode if it is not tilted back completely. When in portrait mode, lift range is limited " its gotta rotate right ? in the specs it says : 90° P/L .. to me thats not detach it and mount it a different way

That guy was wrong, i think i read the review on buy.com.. so becareful about the reviews you read, its well worth the 39 bucks IMO.. it works ! I bought it already :-)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:25:23 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:17:19 pm »
That was going to be my next question, how do i do that within the software ?

That depends on exactly what you want to do.
MAME will auto rotate if you set that in the mame.ini file.
That will leave your front end sideways in portrait mode though.

Depending on which video card you have, you can rotate the entire desktop, and all apps, using the control panel for your video card.
That will let you go back and forth between the two modes, and you can set a hot key to do it with most of the control panels.
The only problem is that it may mess up your front end by squishing it in the one direction, or stretching it in the other.

Lastly, you could set up two versions of your front end, one for vertical, and one for horizontal.
That would make it a pain to switch on the fly, but would limit the games available for each mode.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 01:17:54 am »
you could set up two versions of your front end, one for vertical, and one for horizontal.
That would make it a pain to switch on the fly, but would limit the games available for each mode.

Id like to keep my entire list mixed with both vert / horiz games , Currently using MaLa looking for maybe a plugin that when launching a verticle game, MAME rotates it for me 90 counterclockwise / or clockwise i forgot which way i need it.. and then when exiting to the FE "MaLa" i don't want my game list all whacked, is there a pluggin ?>
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Blanka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
It is really weird that no-one makes a pivot-only wall-mount! It's always with all the swivel, shift and tilt functions as well, which makes the unit to deep, and introduces a risk of swiveling behind the glass, which can make it get stuck. There must be a simple vesa 100x100 lazy suzan somewhere I think  :dunno

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 09:21:37 am »
Currently using MaLa looking for maybe a plugin that when launching a verticle game, MAME rotates it for me 90 counterclockwise / or clockwise i forgot which way i need it..

MAME will do that by itself.
You just need to figure out which way your display is going to rotate, and then tell mame to autorol or autoror accordingly.
That will rotate just the game left or right.
When you exit the game, the front end will be turned sideways again.

Here's the relevant part of the mame.ini file that needs to be changed.

[quote}### Mame CORE video options ###
norotate                0
ror                     0
rol                     0
autoror                 0
autorol                0
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:23:50 am by NoOne=NBA= »

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:06:55 am »

Here's the relevant part of the mame.ini file that needs to be changed.

[quote}### Mame CORE video options ###
norotate                0
ror                     0
rol                     0
autoror                 0
autorol                0

OK, but how do i tell MAME i want it to go either clockwise or counter clockwise, and JUST for verticle games
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

gonzo90017

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2019, 02:41:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
ror                     0 = roll right
rol                     0 = roll left

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
Assuming you need to rotate the vertical games to the left 90 degrees, you would set autorol to 1, instead of zero, in your mame.ini file.

That will automatically rotate all games listed as vertical games to the left 90 degrees.
The horizontal games will not rotate.

If you set rol to 1, it will rotate ALL games 90 degrees, not just vertical ones.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Assuming you need to rotate the vertical games to the left 90 degrees, you would set autorol to 1, instead of zero, in your mame.ini file.

That will automatically rotate all games listed as vertical games to the left 90 degrees.
The horizontal games will not rotate.

Sweet that totally helped with 50% of my problem and it works! So thank you very much for that. However how do i get MaLa to swap verticle / horizontal when it exits a specific game.. i.e. if im playing pac-man, and exit i want MaLa to be displayed vertical, then if i select on the game list let's say Simpsons obviously i would need to manually rotate my monitor because MAME would now swap it automatically for me, but then when i exit the horizontal game simpsons, i would want MaLa to be in Landscape / Horizontal Mode, is this possible? does a pluggin exist or how do i set this in MaLa
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
Sorry, I can't help you with that one
I don't even know if it's possible.
That was one of the problems I pointed out earlier.

The only ways around it that I know of are to make the video card rotate the desktop and apps, or to make the front end run in a vertical mode.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Zobeid:
"In Mala. . .

Options --> MAME Config --> Options --> Rotate MaLa with Mame after quitting game if needed"

Thanks~! I didn't think it was that easy
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

loadman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Zobeid:
"In Mala. . .

Options --> MAME Config --> Options --> Rotate MaLa with Mame after quitting game if needed"

Thanks~! I didn't think it was that easy
:applaud: