Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox - Kits now available!!  (Read 184530 times)

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
Re: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox---> For Dad
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 09:16:36 am »
Awesome work dude  :applaud:  My marquee would have made the whole thing worthless ;)

Just one question: will there be cables (AC, Sound to the sound bar) from the base to the jukebox? If yes, how will you make sure the cables aren't twisted too much while turning the jukebox on its base? Are there "stop points" in both directions?

Again: AWESOME!!!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 10:13:50 am »
It has been said before but it needs to be said again.  You have some serious skills dude. :cheers:

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 04:17:19 pm »
mountain,

Where did you get magnets that look like that if you don't mind my asking? Thanks.

Encryptor

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:55 pm »
Awesome work dude  :applaud:  My marquee would have made the whole thing worthless ;)

Just one question: will there be cables (AC, Sound to the sound bar) from the base to the jukebox? If yes, how will you make sure the cables aren't twisted too much while turning the jukebox on its base? Are there "stop points" in both directions?

Again: AWESOME!!!

Luigi,
Worthless? I don't think so. Bender offered to help out as well and we just ran with it. Thank you for the offer to help, it is very appreciated. As far as the base, ther are going to be stops at 90 degrees left and right.

mountain,

Where did you get magnets that look like that if you don't mind my asking? Thanks.

Encryptor

We have a local specialty wood working store here that carries Rockler Hardware. I just happened to notice them sitting there and it hit me. They are expensive though. They are about $20.00 for a set of ten.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 11:11:05 pm »
I don't know why but tonight I was really good about taking pictures. I rushed home with two goals in mind. Get the volume knob squared away and make the jig for the marquee which will allow me to cut the Plexiglas panels easily.

I took apart a Griffin Powermate and determined that this is the perfect solution for this juke. When you peel away all of the aluminum it becomes a very versatile little gadget that can me fit just about any where. The first thing I realized is that in order for the volume knob to sit right and not rub the faceplate, I was going to have to build the faceplate out a little.

I took a washer that represented the size I needed and used contact cement to attach it to the Plexiglas. I carefully used a hack saw to rough cut around the washer and the hand sanded it down to the washer. The washer basically was to tell me when to stop sanding. A little heat and the two came apart easily.

I then had to make a hole for the knobs keyway.

Once the spacer was made I used acrylic adhesive to bond it to the faceplate

There is about a 1/16" gap between the the knob and the faceplate..perfect.

A view from the back

I got the template made for the marquee Plexiglas panels too.

:cheers:

I am very excited about the marquee. I will elaborate more on it when the print arrives.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »
I don't know why but tonight I was really good about taking pictures.
Lets talk about this... How do you get your pictures to come out so nice? Anytime I use macro mode, it's blurry or dark. Your finger prints are so clear in those pics that I could probably look you up in the criminal database (where I'm sure you have an entry).  ;)

I took apart a Griffin Powermate and determined that this is the perfect solution for this juke.
So, about the Griffin Powermate. One common issue is the thing likes to disconnect from the computer, or not be identified on bootup. Unplugging the USB and plugging it back up seems to resolve the issue. I'm suspicious that it might have something to do with the USB extender cable, but I haven't confirmed it. Did they ever fix this issue?

It's looking great. It's cool you have a hard dead line, cause one way or another - we'll get to see this thing completed.  :)

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 11:53:00 pm »
Lets talk about this... How do you get your pictures to come out so nice? Anytime I use macro mode, it's blurry or dark. Your finger prints are so clear in those pics that I could probably look you up in the criminal database (where I'm sure you have an entry).  ;)

First of all, that was a long time ago! Sheesh  :cheers:

Let's talk  :)

I use a Sony DSC-S85 4mp camera that is several years old. This is what I do, hold the camera with both hands and rest at least one of them on something secure. It will give you a shot comparable to using a tripod. Sometimes I hold the shutter button down and if it doesn't seem to focus correctly I move the camera back and forth until it looks right and then take the picture.

I took apart a Griffin Powermate and determined that this is the perfect solution for this juke.
So, about the Griffin Powermate. One common issue is the thing likes to disconnect from the computer, or not be identified on bootup. Unplugging the USB and plugging it back up seems to resolve the issue. I'm suspicious that it might have something to do with the USB extender cable, but I haven't confirmed it. Did they ever fix this issue?

I don't know if there is a fix for it or not. I have heard that it is hit or miss. I plan on putting a switch on the back to disconnect the data bus wires just in case this ever becomes an issue.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 07:39:21 am »
This is going to be a real masterpiece  :notworthy:

You do not only have great skills but extraordinary ideas, too  :applaud:

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 05:41:02 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 09:28:07 am »
I want a feature on this board to be able to ignore threads started by certain users..... so I don't have to look at their projects and get all depressed at how bad mine suck in comparison.
Beautiful job again Mountain.  I can't wait to see how this one finishes out.

:notworthy:

Portnoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 11:27:50 am
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 12:40:58 pm »
That swivel base kicks so much freak'n A**!! You work is amazing.  I have a buddy running your finger prints from your photos because I'm pretty sure your an android.......not sure how that might prove such a thing though :laugh:

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 02:31:22 pm »
Looks great mountain.  Maybe I'm missing something but how do you go about wrapping the base (or anything for that matter) in vinyl?  What do you do about the edges?  It looks like you covered all surfaces without any creases or folding/wrapping.  Are you using the Happs black pica vinyl that comes on a roll and goes on like a sticker or something sturdier?

EDIT: while I'm at it - where do you get the black plexiglass?  Does Home Depot carry something like that or did you have to special order it?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:24:33 pm by javeryh »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »
Looks great mountain.  Maybe I'm missing something but how do you go about wrapping the base (or anything for that matter) in vinyl?  What do you do about the edges?  It looks like you covered all surfaces without any creases or folding/wrapping.  Are you using the Happs black pica vinyl that comes on a roll and goes on like a sticker or something sturdier?

EDIT: while I'm at it - where do you get the black plexiglass?  Does Home Depot carry something like that or did you have to special order it?

The base is actually wrapped in black laminate.

The black acrylic front was purchased from US Plastics. I always buy my acrylic from there because the prices are reasonable and they ship SUPER fast. This last order was placed on a Wednesday at 5:30pm and it was on my doorstep Thursday at 3:00pm. They are located in Ohio too but still, they just seem to be on top of it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 06:05:28 pm »

The black acrylic front was purchased from US Plastics. I always buy my acrylic from there because the prices are reasonable and they ship SUPER fast. This last order was placed on a Wednesday at 5:30pm and it was on my doorstep Thursday at 3:00pm. They are located in Ohio too but still, they just seem to be on top of it.

Ahhh... laminate, not vinyl... makes more sense... so, um... where do you get that stuff?   ;D

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2008, 06:13:49 pm »
mountain,

You wouldn't happen to have the Rockler part number for those magnets would you? I looked on their site and can't find them. Thanks.

Encryptor

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2008, 10:32:38 pm »

Ahhh... laminate, not vinyl... makes more sense... so, um... where do you get that stuff?   ;D

I found it locally from a distributor. Break out the yellow pages or try googling "laminate + your town"

If all you get are contractors for new countertops, call a few and they should tell you where they get it. This is what I had to do.

mountain,

You wouldn't happen to have the Rockler part number for those magnets would you? I looked on their site and can't find them. Thanks.

Encryptor

Very weird that they are not on their site. There are actually three parts:

Magnet cups - #31668
1/2" x 1/8" Magnets - #30810
Magnet washers - #37474

Let me know if you have any luck. I could possibly swing buy and pick them up for you.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 05:25:29 am »

Very weird that they are not on their site. There are actually three parts:

Magnet cups - #31668
1/2" x 1/8" Magnets - #30810
Magnet washers - #37474

Let me know if you have any luck. I could possibly swing buy and pick them up for you.

Thank you. After looking them up by the part number they were actually there when I looked before. I just didn't realize they were under the title of Rare Earth Magnets. Sorry about that. Did you use the 3/8" size?

Encryptor

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2008, 07:25:19 pm »
This is gonna be nice.  Watching with interest.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2008, 03:55:24 pm »
DAMN....5 horrible days without new pictures.....go ahead :)

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2008, 09:05:20 pm »
DAMN....5 horrible days without new pictures.....go ahead :)

OK, I have a small update for ya  ;D

I have spent the last few days doing minor work that is not very exciting as well as configuring the software. I have the juke app up and running and have been going through all of the music getting it ready.

I made a temporary router table to help cut the Plexiglass pieces for the marquee.

Bender designed the marquee artwork for me  :notworthy: and gave me 4 color options to choose from. I am going to narrow it down to two and let my Dad make the final decision. I will be posting images of the marquee by Bender in the next few days. They ROCK!

I also got the outside of the machine wrapped this afternoon. Filing the laminate perfectly flush with the black Plexiglass front was a bit frightening to say the least.

I am going to be wrapping this up in the next 2-3 days so keep an eye out for some serious picture updates. It needs to be done by Wednesday night.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 11:47:36 pm »
I made a ton of progress today. A lot of obstacles are out of the way. The t-molding slot really had me worried because the lack of material in certain spots of the front panel. I used the makeshift router table and carefully cut the slot 1/4" deep all the way around. I also cut the slots in the base but forgot to take pictures of it.

The other problem that was driving me crazy was the swivel mechanism and the magnets. After all of the work I did, the problem hit hit me the other day like a ton of brick. When one uses the touchscreen the pressure of the touch makes the top move back and forth. The magnets are installed in a way the prohibits them from actually making contact with the steel discs. I wanted it to be smooth but the downside is that they don't hold very tight this way. It was very sloppy to say the least.

The fix turned out to be very easy. The lazy susan swivel is basically two stamped pieces of steel with a row of bearings all the way around. One is folded over the other with a slight gap to keep the friction down. I dug out my old aviation rivet squeeze and crimped the the two pieces tighter together.

It took forever to get it right because if I crimped it too much the swivel would be ruined. Good thing the tool is adjustable. I had to crimp it a little all the way around and then assemble everything to test. It took 4 attempts to get it right. Now the top stays put when touched but swivels nice and still has noticeable stopping points every 30 degrees.

I also got the power supply rewired this evening. I want the power and audio output jacks on the back side of the base. I didn't want any wires coming out of the top, they need to be stationary. I removed the input jack and spliced the power wire and ran it out a grommet that I installed.

Here is the back of the base. The Plexiglas piece will hold the two RCA jacks and a 1/8" stereo jack which will be wired in parallel, giving Dad options. There will also be a switch to toggle between internal audio or external audio.

This is the power supply for the speaker. It will go in the base and be hard wired to the A/C input jack.

I hope to get most of this done by tomorrow. I am sure there will be minor things to complete Wednesday and Thursday but the bulk will be done. 

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2008, 02:51:09 pm »
Looking AWESOME!

Is it done?

New pics?

Can you post a pic with the dimensions (ie...H x W x D)?

Encryptor

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 10:31:12 pm »
Looking AWESOME!

Is it done?

New pics?

Can you post a pic with the dimensions (ie...H x W x D)?

Encryptor

It looks like I need to pull an all-nighter tonight and maybe tomorrow night to get it done.

Not sure when I will be able to update, probably a small one tomorrow night and a few Sunday.

Wish me luck!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2008, 10:41:40 pm »
It looks like I need to pull an all-nighter tonight and maybe tomorrow night to get it done.

Not sure when I will be able to update, probably a small one tomorrow night and a few Sunday.

Wish me luck!

Good luck, but more than anything - be careful. Keep your wits about you if your getting tired. You may want to Will me your tools... JUST in case.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2008, 02:29:01 am »

Crossing fingers !!! :)

But your old man sure will be willing to wait a few days more for that beauty you are making for him  :applaud:

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2008, 10:07:04 am »
Awesome buddy  :)

Your dad sure is lucky!!

Cant wait for the finish pics!  8)

Those router tables sure are handy aren't they  :)

(By the way im going to get your other job done at work tomorrow  :cheers:)

newtrix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2022, 01:57:59 pm
    • Loving Family Seeking to Adopt
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2008, 11:34:57 am »
Is it too early to start the Mamey requests?

emdkay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2019, 09:53:25 pm
  • Authentic & Repro Arcade Artwork & Bartop Cabinets
    • EMDKAY - Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2008, 02:09:31 pm »
Yesterday was THE day, yes?   Pics!?    :cheers:
EMDKAY.net - Your Original Source for Authentic & Reproduction Arcade Artwork, Arcade & Mame Marquees, and Home Arcade Bartop Cabinets
Improve the lives of children with toys and games through Emdkay & Child's Play! - See specially marked products.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2008, 04:44:21 pm »
Yesterday was THE day, yes?   Pics!?    :cheers:

It's hard to type with no fingers, eh Mountain?  ;)

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »
Yes, yesterday was the big day and I got it done just in time. I had to work all night Friday to get it finished, but it was worth it. Everybody was excited and really liked what I had done with the idea. My Dad was totally surprised and touched with all of the planning  and work we had done.

Since I had to skip the updates to get this thing done, I am going to post some shots of the last few days of the build first.

Here is the panel for the back. I used a DPDT slide switch to select between his home stereo or the internal speaker. Slide the switch towards the output jacks for external and toward the middle for internal.

I made a frame out of 1/4" MDF and wrapped it in grill cloth. This mounts behind the metal speaker grill and hides the speaker.

I made a box behind the marquee area to keep the light from bleeding out. Since the Powermate is mounted in the same area I had to wire a USB plug to make it easier for when I may have to take it apart.

So, I put out a request a few weeks ago for some help designing a marquee that will fit the odd shape. Bender PM'd me and offered to help. I am still amazed that he was willing to volunteer his time and work with me to get it done in such a short amount of time. I told him a few basic ideas of what I wanted and he ran with it. I had no idea it would look so good. He did a fantastic job.

A little personal touch.

I used glazing points to hold the marquee in place. These worked out great and hold the marquee in there very tight.

Stay tuned, more to come very soon!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2008, 07:48:40 pm »
 :applaud:

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2008, 08:06:04 pm »
You do some beautiful work! The craftsmanship is second to none!  :notworthy:

Can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

Encryptor

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2008, 08:28:37 pm »
You do some beautiful work! The craftsmanship is second to none!  :notworthy:

Can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

Encryptor

Thanks Encryptor! I will get those dimensions to you soon.

Thursday night was long night as I had to wire the base. The base hold the following:

Speaker
Audio/switch/ethernet panel
Audio junction strip
fan
fan speed controller
A/C power inlet panel
speaker power supply

Done!

Friday night I had to finish up the back panel and mount and wire all of the internal components.

The motherboard and hard drive are mounted vertically and centered over the hole in the middle. The 120mm fan blows the cool air up into the unit and blows directly over the Fanless CPU heatsink. It also generated airflow across both sides of the hard drive.

The power supply needed to vent out the back so I placed some foam tape on the back side so it makes contact with the back plate.  There is grill material on the back for it to vent.

Stay tuned, more build pics coming!

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2008, 08:43:16 pm »
Friday night I was supposed to be at my parents house (3 hr drive away) partying with my family but we had to wait because the jukebox wasn't done yet. I worked from 6pm until 5am to get it finished.  :(

Here are some shots of the internal wiring.

This shows how the fan and wiring are mounted. There is enough slack in the wire and it is looped in such a way that lets the top swivel a total of 180 degrees.

That's it for the build pics.  ;D

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2008, 08:58:18 pm »
Very very nice! :applaud:

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2008, 09:36:49 pm »
Whew!!!

I can breath now, I 've been holding my breath till I saw that marquee shape line up with that text
around the record lable

The build looks fantastic Mountain!  :cheers:
get some sleep buddy

Can't wait to see the finished shots!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:44:14 pm by Bender »

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2008, 03:20:15 am »
Am I the only one who tried to turn that thing around on the last picture? ;)

Can just repeat what I already said: AWESOME and OUTSTANDING !!!  :applaud:

That marquee hits the point!!! Great work Bender!!!

mcfreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 01:55:04 pm
  • Asteroids moving along...
    • Hobby Blog
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2008, 09:50:10 am »
Such a tease.  This thing has so many detailed items that it is hard to take it all in.  Beautiful job. 

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 11:04:47 am »
Whew!!!

I can breath now, I 've been holding my breath till I saw that marquee shape line up with that text
around the record lable

The build looks fantastic Mountain!  :cheers:
get some sleep buddy

Can't wait to see the finished shots!

Thanks Bender! You are truly amzing with your kindness and your talent. Everyone loved the marquee and commented on how well it went with the design.

Such a tease.  This thing has so many detailed items that it is hard to take it all in.  Beautiful job. 

Not really, I was just too tired last night to continue.

Finished pictures coming soon.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Completed! Mountain's Bartop for Dad
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 11:36:21 am »
Here we go:

A few pretty glossy shots outside where the light is better.

Sitting in its new home.

billf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2022, 05:53:05 pm
  • Why ya dog-gone crazy idgit!
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2008, 11:41:32 am »
Absolutely fantastic work.   :cheers:

I like how the shape of the juke, mirrors the wall mirrors in the back.  Nice.  And what a cool sign on the back wall, 'wino crossing' sign.   :laugh2: