Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tron blacklights  (Read 1225 times)

yukonblaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 11:32:48 am
Tron blacklights
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:21 am »
According to TRON manual there are 2 different types of blacklights for the front control panels.  One is standard blacklighjt and a white blacklight.  Have read that white blacklight puts out a higher rated UV so was placed on lower as to no come in contact with direct line of sight.  My question is, What is the difference between the two?? ???

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
Re: Tron blacklights
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:37:26 pm »
According to TRON manual there are 2 different types of blacklights for the front control panels.  One is standard blacklighjt and a white blacklight.  Have read that white blacklight puts out a higher rated UV so was placed on lower as to no come in contact with direct line of sight.  My question is, What is the difference between the two?? ???

The wavelength of the light output is different between the two types of bulbs.  The "white blacklight" offers better spectrum coverage in the UV range and results in a "brighter glow".   The problem is that the output of these types of lamps really are not safe for direct viewing.  I suspect that's why they were not used in the upper control panel lamp.  But in the lower lamp they really made your white Converse sneakers glow!

By now the lenses on the lower covers usually have badly faded artwork on them and they don't glow much, or the colors are very dull.  So I usually just use a standard blacklight in that spot so the faded artwork doesn't stand out.  Unless you've got one of the new (and expensive) reproduction light covers, you may find the standard black light looks better in your machine.

HTH,

D

yukonblaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 11:32:48 am
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:10:59 pm »
Thanks, now I understand!!!!

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:48:12 pm »
So this is why children and incredibly short people were going blind from arcades back in the 80's.
I've got a fever...