Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Have access to a couple of cabs... Mach 3 and Vapor TRX  (Read 1251 times)

wbassett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
Have access to a couple of cabs... Mach 3 and Vapor TRX
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:07:54 am »
I found a local guy that has what looks like possibly some good deals but I'd like some opinions from you guys here first.

He has two sit down Mach 3 cabinets that are gutted.  They still have the controller and everything external, just no monitor or electronics.  Price $150 each.

If it had a monitor I'd snatch at least one up in a heartbeat, but it does have the stick, bezel and everything else.  It's a bit rough outside from the pictures, but I would most likely turn it into a multipurpose MAME sit down flyer so I'd change the outside look anyway.

Next, and the one that really has my interest is the Vapor TRX.  He has two of them and they are fully functional and according to him look great and play great.

Asking price for the Vapor is $400.  That seems like a great price to me, but again I'd like some opinions from here first.  Am I seeing this right?  Is that controller the same as the Star Wars yoke??!  That's what caught my eye and brought up fantasies of a Star Wars sit down where I can play the original game and then the PC based X-Wing and other Star Wars related games.  If this is as nice and works as good as he says though, it would be a shame to gut a perfectly fine console just to MAME it.  He does however have two of them... :)

Last up, he has a very nice looking stand up shooter- Space Gun, also $400

So any good deals... any of them great deals... is one a 'must buy' or is the price typical?

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Have access to a couple of cabs... Mach 3 and Vapor TRX
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:03:50 am »
All good deals. Jump on 'em.

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:11:57 am »
Oh... one other thing to note although it's not a certainty...

I also have a chance to get a pair of Space Gun 'guns'.  It's just the guns and not the whole cab, and then there is the question of how do I get them to work with MAME?  If it's an easy or relatively easy procedure, then I can just add them to my MAME console.  Granted it won't have the cool (to some though funky) original cab look of the Space gun cab, but if it plays the same that's more important to me than having a dedicated machine just for one game.  If it was Silent Scope for $400, that would be different! ;)

Here is how I am thinking and leaning... I wouldn't mind having one of the Mach 3 cabs, but if I can snag both Vapor TRX machines, and the controller ends up being the same as the Star Wars yoke... I wouldn't feel bad about converting one and keeping the electronics as spare parts for the other system.

Chances are I may be biting off way more than I can chew, or perhaps it's not even worth it... that's why I'm asking for opinions before spending money.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:26:17 am »
The guns are useless with mame.

Well, I say that....but then I look. Are those analog? Might be a way to rig up some T2 action. Hmm...

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:37:28 am »
Will they fit in your basement ? 

:P

While said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, Space Gun is bigger and heavier than it looks and I dunno if the MACH3 cockpits come apart nicely.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:27:39 am »
The guns are useless with mame.

Well, I say that....but then I look. Are those analog? Might be a way to rig up some T2 action. Hmm...
Thats what I was thinking... if they can be rigged up like a joystick gun... T2... Operation Wolf... games like that.  I just don't know how they would be interfaced yet and how the motors would work.  If I get them, they will only be around $30 so it won't be like I wasted a fortune on them if they can't be made to work.

wbassett

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:35:40 am »
Will they fit in your basement ? 

:P

While said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, Space Gun is bigger and heavier than it looks and I dunno if the MACH3 cockpits come apart nicely.
I have two 15x15 living rooms upstairs.  One has the HT setup with the projector and 106" screen, and the other living room is basically empty right now with the exception of some exercising equipment that is soon to be moved to a spare bedroom that is going to be used as our gym.

So yes I have room for them :)

I'm not sure about the Mach 3 cab either.  I'll know more when I go out to look at them.  The Vapor really has me intrigged though, and that wouldn't be something that would be disassembled, so I have to make arrangements for some help getting it in the house.  Does anyone know anything about this game?  I don't ever remember playing it.  The guy selling it said both units are linked together.  Is this a dual player setup or something?

Thanks for the info on how big and heavy the Space Gun game is.  I'll probably end up passing on that one then, but for $400 it is still tempting!  Now that I found this guy I'm sure he'll have other things come and go that I'll be interested in so I'm not going to lose any sleep if I don't get Space Gun.