Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: defender cabinet project  (Read 5803 times)

jilted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2013, 10:22:41 am
  • tumblepop!
defender cabinet project
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:37:31 am »
hello, i've been reading this site for years and finally came across a cabinet on the side of the street
http://picasaweb.google.com/jilted/MAMEArcadeCabinetProject
i have put off my project for a long time because i didn't really want to build a cabinet
i wanted a nice old original cabinet and finally found one in super condition
the stamps inside say:  TESTED OCT 15 1981
only things missing are the bezel and back panel for the most part.
speaker is busted out and the monitor was cracked in the back
i plan to make a mame conversion out of it and a fighter style control panel (to start with)

Has anyone used an lcd in this cabinet and what size works best?  i want to leave it on all the time :)
i know it came with a 19" crt, but if i can go larger that would be cool too
bezel options are an area where i would love some input as well

Any input on any aspect of this project would be great for starters
i could ask a million questions but i am sure most of them are already covered in here

thanks
-stephen
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:46:58 am by jilted »

grbgemen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2014, 10:30:18 am
Re: defender cabinet project
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:52:24 am »
very nice find.  you are probably going to get a lot of crap about converting it to MAME but whatever.  It is your cabinet and you can do what you want. 

about your questions.  cant really comment on the monitor.  most seem to stick with 4:3 LCD screens.  once you go past 20 inches, the price really sky rockets. 

as for the bezel, ive seen a lot of people make them out of black poster board or some other type thick material. 

surface tension

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2018, 08:45:48 am
  • feel the tension...
    • surface tension tables
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:01:02 am »
Wow! I can't believe you found that thing.

There's gonna be some envy around here!

pmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:05:53 am »
If it were me, I'd restore it and then see if it's possible to add mame to it in a way that's easily reversible.

-pmc

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:05:58 am »
Arcadeshop sells replacement bezels.

Would be cool to restore to working Defender though.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=65938.0

Mine was smelly and had lots of water damage... I refurbed the finish (I had lots of peeling laminate) and re wired the cabinet as JAMMA and have kept all the original boards.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:11:26 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:18 am »
thanks
if i would not have found it that day it would have been ruined because it rained for like 6 hours straight that evening.
it looks like i have most (if not all) of the system boards and the wiring harness is perfect, only missing what went to the monitor.
i have already placed all the boards in antistatic bags for safe keeping
and i am not going to take the original control panel apart
so if i decide to restore one day i'll be in good shape
for now, i really only have room for one cabinet, so i need more than just defender in there hehe
i do want to make a few easy swap panels though, including a defender (plus inviso) panel
the pics i linked are all taken with a cell phone
i will take more soon and link them

thanks for the input

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:42 am »
It's an original DEFENDER!!  In what appears to be wonderful shape...  Please don't maime this beauty of a cabinet.   If anything sell it and take the money from it and buy a gutted cabinet to use on a project.  This cabinet is in way too good of shape to NOT be refurb'd.  At least let someone that is willing to refurb it back to original have a chance with it. 

I am not one of the people that are hard up originalists here... but a DEFENDER cab in that good of shape really deserves to remain a Defender cab.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:48:26 am by Dazz »

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:55:32 am »
for now, i really only have room for one cabinet, so i need more than just defender in there hehe
i do want to make a few easy swap panels though, including a defender (plus inviso) panel

There is no way you should Mame this cabinet, it's in way too good a condition. As for putting an LCD into it, again, there is no way to do that without damaging the original cabinet in some way or other. The same goes for your swapable control panels.

If you aren't prepared to restore it yourself, then please please please, sell it to a collector who is prepared to restore it and love it for what it is. Buy yourself a generic cabinet that is of no historical significance and Mame that.

There are even replica Defender cabinets for sale that you could buy for way less money than you could sell this original one for. It then doesn't matter what you do to one of those.

This one is in such a beautiful condition that it would be a sin and a virtual crime to do anything with it other than restore it. The descision about that is yours, because you own it. But you're going to annoy a great many people if you Mame this more or less complete Defender.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:01:28 am by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:35:47 am »
Thanks for the pic.
We know what you look like now.
You MAME it, and we're coming for you!

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:14 am »
i'd love to have the best of both worlds
a defender restore and a mame cab
just not possible right now :(
i promise i won't hurt the cab
with every decision i consider how to do it without changing anything original
but i will take pics of what i have and you guys can tell me what i need

i might still be talked into a restore
since i have never done a restore, i would need some good input from you guys :)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 11:08:41 am »
Restore it, and we'll be helpful.
MAME it....not so much.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:12:33 am by GinsuVictim »

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 11:11:35 am »
You may wish to consider restoring it to Defender first.... you could re configure your Defender board set as JAMMA that way you could always convert to a pc based system using jpac and arcade vga... at the same time leaving all of the "defender" in tact.  For that reason I'd punt on the lcd...

Looks like somebody has already cut the monitor shelf up and added another one below it.. you'll have to fix that.
Happy Gaming!

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 11:13:21 am »
i actually have the piece of wood that they cut out :)
it was sitting in the bottom of it

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 11:14:59 am »
Also... if you have any reservations about fixing the system boards... don't... I can help you with that... I've got one in the hopper now... when I'm done with it I will have some time to help fix yours if you need...
Happy Gaming!

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:14 am »
looking around the forum i see that there is some board mounted to the monitor frame... i don't have that one i know for sure
and whatever wiring went to the monitor

i will take some pics this evening so you can see what i have and what i would need

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:45 am »
looking around the forum i see that there is some board mounted to the monitor frame... i don't have that one i know for sure
and whatever wiring went to the monitor

i will take some pics this evening so you can see what i have and what i would need

No problem... anything at all... I'm a defender nut and know the whole thing inside and out... and that monitor... is a total loss... so you can simply chuck it...

I can walk you through what you would need to restore it... then you can make a decision... but really... if you do restore it... it will be worth a lot more to you and anyone else... so its money well spent... and pretty exciting... especially when you throw the switch and that Defender growl happens... you wait... you'll see.
Happy Gaming!

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 11:28:26 am »
Man, Defender was always the machine you'd hear over all the others. It was SO loud and the sounds were so HARSH! I remember being blown away by the sound effects back when it came out.

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:37:56 am »
same here... i am 36 and remember it well
i also remember how bad i was at it haha
and even worse how horrible the atari 2600 port was
not quite as bad as the pac-man port though...  :)

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 11:44:28 am »
Pac-Man on 2600 is just horrid. I remember people saying, "Come over. We have Pac-man" and I was like, "This isn't Pac-man." They'd play for hours and I was just disgusted with it.

Defender 2600 wasn't really THAT bad. I played it a lot when I was younger.

Of course, I also played ET....just tried to make sense of it.

RoninEditor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2009, 02:46:58 am
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
I just have to hop in here.  For what it's worth, please, please, PLEASE don't gut a rare classic like that (even though I'm not a Defender fan).  What I'd do is to built an EXACT copy of it, since you have the true dimensions and every detail right in front of you.  Getting the marqee, cp, and side art should be easy enough... then you can Mame the hell outta that thing.  Then you can restore the original, keep it or sell it to cover the costs of building a Mame one. 

I think building a new one based on your classic would be cheaper and easier anyway, and you'd receive massive karma from the arcade gods for doing it that way, haha ;)

fryguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2008, 11:40:47 am
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 04:22:20 pm »
Just curious...  Exactly what is it physically that makes this worth restoring vs. maming?  Not asking this to incite a flame. 

Reason I ask, I have an old gutted defender cabinet I found on the cheap that I was also considering maming.  No monitor, no control panel, no  boards, no bezel, some water damage on the base, and dusty/dirty as hell on the inside.  I also bought a defender marquee on eBay to go with it.  Is this also something that is worth a darn?  The more I research, the more I think I would need to hack it to pieces, or build something from scratch to satisfy what I'm trying to put together.

It's taking up space in my garage right now.  Just wanting to gauge if there is actual value sitting there.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 04:28:42 pm »
Just curious...  Exactly what is it physically that makes this worth restoring vs. maming?  Not asking this to incite a flame. 

Reason I ask, I have an old gutted defender cabinet I found on the cheap that I was also considering maming.  No monitor, no control panel, no  boards, no bezel, some water damage on the base, and dusty/dirty as hell on the inside.  I also bought a defender marquee on eBay to go with it.  Is this also something that is worth a darn?  The more I research, the more I think I would need to hack it to pieces, or build something from scratch to satisfy what I'm trying to put together.

It's taking up space in my garage right now.  Just wanting to gauge if there is actual value sitting there.

Thats actually a very good question... if its missing everything it probably not worth much at all... until its fixed up and re-populated with real defender guts...  In your case I would offer it up or try to sell it to somebody who has the desire to restore... for you its not worth hacking apart.  For the collector / preservationist... the value is in the fact that it can be brought back to life... not real cash.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:32:59 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 04:59:07 pm »
How the heck do people just find random classic arcade cabinets on the side of the road?  Ridiculous.

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 05:06:48 pm »
How the heck do people just find random classic arcade cabinets on the side of the road?  Ridiculous.

I know right?  I always end up paying out the ass for something I have to put a ton of time and cash into!
Happy Gaming!

fryguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2008, 11:40:47 am
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »
Well, if anyone is interested in the gutted Defender cab I've got, PM or email me and I can send out some pictures of the condition it's in.  I'm in the St. Louis area (on the Illinois side).

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 05:24:20 pm »
Well, if anyone is interested in the gutted Defender cab I've got, PM or email me and I can send out some pictures of the condition it's in.  I'm in the St. Louis area (on the Illinois side).

perfect. ... post in BST forum.
Happy Gaming!

ptistheboss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2008, 04:43:33 pm
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 05:33:09 pm »
Dude dont feel bad about Mame'ng that sucker. Defender cabs are everywhere, I believe it was the largest selling cab in history.

Just keep the artwork and marquee and save the control panel. Hell get a ipac for the old control panel and no one would know its not an original.

I also have a defender cab (that was a robocop conversion), Ive tried to get it back to normal Defender shape, but its certainly not a rare cab in any shape or form. I personally like the idea of a mame machine in disguise.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 05:34:57 pm by ptistheboss »

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »
well i never planned to remove the artwork or marquee
thats part of why i love it so much
its a work of art :)
i bid and lost on a bezel on ebay because the initial plan was to get a 19" lcd to put behind it

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 06:44:40 pm »
You must have missed the wonder that is the Complete Rule Book thread.  Don't worry, flogging only hurts for a few weeks.

Good luck.
-csa

ps:  Your cab does appear to be in great shape though!

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
Dude dont feel bad about Mame'ng that sucker. Defender cabs are everywhere, I believe it was the largest selling cab in history.

Just keep the artwork and marquee and save the control panel. Hell get a ipac for the old control panel and no one would know its not an original.

I also have a defender cab (that was a robocop conversion), Ive tried to get it back to normal Defender shape, but its certainly not a rare cab in any shape or form. I personally like the idea of a mame machine in disguise.

If it's complete, then according to Fozzy, there are collectors begging to have these just to restore.  Craig's list has indicated that you can get 3 times more then it's worth, so this must be true Eventually, there will be only parts, and no wood to build a new box from.

-csa

RoninEditor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2009, 02:46:58 am
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 06:53:22 pm »
Now, if this were a working Tron cabinet (everything working including the black light and blue-lit trigger flight stick) then you couldn't touch it.  I think Congress just passed a law about that ;)  Tron's one of those that seems to be impossible to find, especially at a decent price.  Loved that game as a kid.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 07:20:23 pm »
If it's complete, then according to Fozzy, there are collectors begging to have these just to restore.

Get over it! you destroyed a near fully working classic... contrary to the guidelines of this forum.

Just to remind you: The mission statement By Saint in relation to cabinets of the Build Your Own Arcade Controls forum, puts it quite clearly: "Please do be mindful that we don't destroy what we're trying to re-create.  Many classic arcade machines are rare and worth a heck of a lot more intact than altered." Destroying a more or less complete classic just so you can play games at home is NEVER OK.

It's worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. So if Craigs List indicates it's worth more than you thought, then that's because there are people out there that want it, not because the figure is more than it's worth.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:23:33 pm by Fozzy The Bear »
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

sega_naomi

• [Banned]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2014, 11:39:38 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 08:48:31 pm »
Im with fozzy on that one

Restoring a classic is becoming a must!

You should do it.!

someday we will not be able to find cabinets at all.
 they are becoming rarer & rarer especially in that condition.

With all the Mamer's that Go & buy a cabinet without Knowing what they used to be
or Care less about the classics

it's pulling  out many classics from the hands of the people that Really do care....

All of that to probably end up on the cover of CRAP MAME website hehe^0^

I would restore that cab any day of the week if i could find one that good looking
[Banned]

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:47 pm »
been chatting with RetroACTIVE and he's pretty much got me convinced i should restore :)
we'll see... :)

sfrascella

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2017, 09:44:15 pm
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 10:27:49 pm »
been chatting with RetroACTIVE and he's pretty much got me convinced i should restore :)

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 10:33:25 pm »

:notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

:cheers:
Good choice! Another classic saved from oblivion!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 01:10:59 pm »
ok so now i am looking for parts to make my defender complete

i'll post in the BST area but just letting everyone know
since you guys helped make me want to restore it :)

linky:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=78299.0

jilted

• Offline Offline
  • tumblepop!
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:38 pm »
just wanted to post an update

RetroACTIVE has been helping me out a ton... answering questions, giving guidance, etc
i have been working on getting my defender restored for almost a month
it sat for a bit while i researched and conversed with RetroACTIVE

here's some pics i have been taking along the way
http://picasaweb.google.com/jilted/Defender

i'm real glad i posted a msg here or i would have probably not done this
but i have enjoyed every minute of the experience so far

thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:24:10 pm by jilted »

boogieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 05:35:48 pm
  • advancedspuds.com
    • advancedspuds - your source for spudgun information
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 11:27:04 pm »
Wow, glad to hear you restored it!  I was on the edge of my seat!

I love the artwork on defender and joust the best out of any cabinets I can think of.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 11:29:38 pm »
This is totally after the fact, but a Defender is all plywood and thus will survive getting rained on. Leave it outdoor for months or in standing water and it will still get horked over, but it can get wet.

I have worked with a lot of Defender cabinets and most of them I have turned the hose on at one point.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.