Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Difference between types of birch plywood??  (Read 7589 times)

06attaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2016, 03:39:39 pm
Difference between types of birch plywood??
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:55:46 am »
Was wondering what the difference is between 3 kinds of birch plywood sold at Home Depot.  They have 3/4 inch Birch  for $38.95, they have a birch classic for $35.88, and they have a birch cabinet grade for $26.88.  I'm wondering if this is just the difference in how thick the veneer is on the plywood.
I'm looking at stainig it with a gel stain.  Any info would be great.

sstorkel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2011, 09:04:03 pm
Re: Difference between types of birch plywood??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:50:11 pm »
The differences in plywood usually revolve around the number of plies (a.k.a. layers) and the quality of the veneer.

The best birch plywood, which you probably won't be able to find at a big box store, is Baltic Birch. It has twice as many plies as "normal" plywood and is guaranteed to be void free. Finnish Birch is the same as Baltic Birch, but the glue used to bind the plies together is waterproof (or water-resistant). You an easily tell the difference between the two by looking at the edges: the waterproof glue used in Finnish Birch plywood leaves darker lines between the plies than the glue used in Baltic Birch. Because of the increased number of plies, Baltic Birch routes very well. You could, for example, cut a round-over at the edge and have it come out looking perfect. Try the same thing with regular plywood and you'll end up with something that looks like it was done by a drunk beaver!

In your case, the thing to do is probably try to find out the "grade" or "classification" of the plywood. This will probably be something like "A-1", "A-4", or "C-D". There's a lot of info on the internet about grading. Also keep in mind that the grades aren't necessarily uniform. I've purchased A-4 cherry plywood sheets that looked every bit as good as the A-1 sheets that cost 50% more! Finally, there may also be a difference in how the veneer was sliced from the log. I believe that "plain sliced" tends to look more like real wood and costs more money than "rotary sliced" veneer. Or I may have it exactly opposite; you'll be able to tell by the price, though! And perhaps by looking at it: one method has grain patterns that are more attractive than the other.

IA1NY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2008, 06:32:20 pm
Re: Difference between types of birch plywood??
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »
I'm sure about the "grading" scheme that Home Despot put on it's birch ply.  It is probably rotary cut veneer (the most common type), but it can have some cool grain patterns nonetheless.  I was just looking at some pretty grain patterns yesterday as I was cutting them into framing.   :'(

sstorkel's right about the plain sliced looking most like regular wood, however, the Despot's not likely to either want to pay the price for such ply, or sophisticated enough to order such.  I might be wrong, but that's what I've seen in the past... 

Most likely the grain and/or number of plys is what they are talking about.  Especially for the prices you mentioned.  Check the grain pattern, number of knots, discolorations, and the veneer pattern then make your choice by that.  Sometimes the price is no indication about the beauty of the wood.  Also different veneering patterns can affect the visibility of seams, or alternately add a decorative quality to the ply.  Find the one you like best.  Home Depot does have the added bonus of you being able to pick through the pallet and find the prettiest pieces.  Other lumber yards are hit or miss as to whether you can do that.