Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "loss of focus" problem. *Testers Wanted* for possible permanent fix  (Read 58135 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Try This MaLa Plug-In

http://www.malafe.net/index.php?page=plugins#malafocuslogger

I've read some old threads on the subject of mala losing focus, but it appears that they were mostly resolved by the time 1.0 was released. I am having a focus problem occasionally with the latest mala, and I did see a post describing the same thing:

I have mala set to start centipede as soon as mala loads (i.e. bootup). Sometimes when I exit centipede to go back to mala my joystick/buttons don't work and I have to alt tab to mala or click in mala to get them to work again.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to solve it (other than not loading a game at startup)?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:23:06 pm by loadman »
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
Re: mala - run game on startup results in mala loss of focus
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:35:13 am »
Anyone???

I thought making mala the windows shell rather than explorer might do the trick, but I actually experienced the same problem after returning from a screensaver (the tacobird screensaver).
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:40:46 am »
try another version of mame

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:05:31 am »
Could you be more specific? Does mala have problems with particular variants of mame or something? I'm currently using straight mame with the hiscore patch. So are you suggesting try the official mame.exe? Or mameui32.exe? Is mameui32 with the hiscore patch ok? Is this issue a known issue that has some documentation out there somewhere?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:23:40 pm »
Sorry It was just a Guess. I have no idea what your issue is  :dunno

Dropkick_Wally

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2011, 05:11:01 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:24:10 pm »
I had this problem as well.  Actually, the exact same problem, in the latest Mala release.  I turned off the background music, and for some reason, that fixed the problem.  Now I have other problems like some sounds not working for no reason.  I've upgraded Mala a few times and I think some things got scrambled.  I'm going to try a new install and re-set everything up once I have time.  I think that might clear up the issues for me.  The screen fades seemed to start the whole thing off.  If you figure out the exact cause, let me know!
Cheers.

CatttDaddy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2019, 12:46:59 pm
    • CatttDaddy.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 06:41:36 pm »
I just started using Mala and have this problem as well.
When my computer boots up Mala seems to be in the foreground but I have to click the mouse once before the controls work. It seems that clicking the mouse actually selects Mala and makes it the active window...

No Background music doesn't help me because I have no music and it has done this from a brand new install of Mala.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »
Yeah, I have no background music either. This is a BIG issue because in a cab, of course you don't want to have a mouse sitting there for these occasions.

I'm not sure that I had the problem from the very start, but 2 things I've done recently are introduce the emumovies and compile mame with the hiscore patch. I wonder if one of those is somehow having an effect.

It sounds like there are enough people experiencing this that the Mala developer must be aware of it, but I guess I should officially submit a bug report for it. Perhaps I'll include a link to this thread so any helpful info posted here is seen. I sure hope it gets worked out soon!

Dropkick_Wally

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2011, 05:11:01 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 07:24:42 pm »
I'm not sure if swindus is working on mala right now.  It's been a while since there's been an update.  He's been part of the threads where people have discussed this issue before.  I'm pretty sure it's been documented as well.  If you have the patience I would reinstall and reconfigure Mala to see if that fixes the issue.  If not, it may be better to try a new frontend and see if that works better for. I'll post back if I figure anything out.

Cheers.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »
It could be either the DivX codec stealing focus from Mala. There are registry entries you can make to prevent the codec stealing focus. I'm not sure if that is what the problem is but it might be worth checking out.

Here is an example..

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DivXNetworks\DivX\SMExclusions]
"Mala"="Mala.exe"

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:36:01 pm »
Headkaze, that's sort of what I was thinking even though I have no focus issue when navigating between games which results in new videos playing. I'll investigate that though, so thanks for the suggestion.

CatttDaddy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2019, 12:46:59 pm
    • CatttDaddy.com
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 01:24:45 am »
yeah thanks because as a matter of fact my intro video is divx. it would make sense if its the issue thanks :) :applaud:

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 01:52:39 am »
I turned off the videos and that didn't help. I switched between straight mame and mameui32 and that didn't help. Both were patched (hiscore patch), but I can't imagine that would affect it, so since I didn't want to give up hiscore support I haven't tried it. If someone thinks that really could be the cause I will try.

It happens most frequently with the "launch game on startup" feature. Maybe I'll have to turn that off.

Any other ideas?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 02:30:26 am »
Well, I was thinking more about avi snaps, not the intro video. If your using avi snaps the video might be stealing focus then. Did you try my reg edit? Just copy the text I posted into a file called FixDivX.reg and then double click it to add the info into the registry.

Other things to try....

Get yourself a program called Process Explorer. It's an essential tool to have for any Windows user anyway.

Run Process Explorer and then just go through right clicking on running processes then selecting "Kill Process". Then run Mala and see if the problem still occurs. This will rule out any program running in the background causing it to lose focus. Be careful not to kill any system processes only ones that branch out below explorer.exe.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 03:12:05 am »
I mean the avi snaps. I figured turning them off completely would be as effective as your suggestion. And I have mala running as the windows shell, so there is nothing running under explorer because there IS no explorer! Unfortunately, this problem is infrequent enough to be difficult to track down, and mostly seems to occur at start up, after returning from the auto-started game.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
Re: mala - loss of focus problem
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 12:05:44 am »
A little more info that I think sheds some light on the problem...

Tonight I was playing with my kids, and one game we played was Q-Bert. The strange thing is I could hear Q-Bert audio that was out of sync with the state of the game, on top of the normal (in sync) Q-Bert audio. Eventually I realized what it was; the avi video in Mala was still playing and I could hear the audio of that avi during gameplay! I never noticed this aspect of the problem before because I used to have the avi audio turned off.

Then, when I exited the game mala didn't have focus. So, for whatever reason when I launched the game, mala did something "abnormal" - forgetting to stop the avi, and neglecting to watch for the mame process to terminate.

I think this MUST have something to do with the problem I've been experiencing. It sure doesn't seem to be a coincidence.

Unfortunately it doesn't give me any ideas for solving or working around the problem.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 04:14:52 am »
hmmm

Are you using the latest version?

If you disable Video in MaLa do you still have the issue?

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 04:24:34 am »
Yeah, I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread that it happens if I disable the video. That's not the problem. And I'm using the latest version unless a new one was released in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 04:32:22 am »
Yeah, I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread that it happens if I disable the video. That's not the problem. And I'm using the latest version unless a new one was released in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Hmm

Suggestion:

Can you copy whatever MaLa folder is. Name is MaLa2 or something.

Delete the mala.ini file.

When you start mala from there now it will get you to set up mala from scratch.

Do the minimum to get q'bert or to load. No fancy layout or settings.

If you don't have the same problem continue to build on the MaLa config and check that it still works bit by bit. Hopefully that will at least reveal what area is causing the problem for you

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »
Maybe I will have to do that, but as I stated the problem is it is very intermittent. It only seems to happen like once a week (with daily usage). So trying to isolate one faulty setting among lots and lots as you describe I think could take a LONG time, and when I decide "that option wasn't a problem, let's move to the next option" there will be doubt in my mind - "did I wait long enough before moving on to the next option?"

So while I appreciate your help and perhaps this is my only option at this point, this isn't a whole lot better than just saying "it's a limitation in mala that you can't work around". Anyone have any other ideas I could try before I resort to this?

I'm thinking I might be better off seeing if mamewah will equally meet my needs.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 05:27:23 pm »
this isn't a whole lot better than just saying "it's a limitation in mala that you can't work around". Anyone have any other ideas I could try before I resort to this?

I'm thinking I might be better off seeing if mamewah will equally meet my needs.

Go for it  ;D

It's not something I have come across so I can only assume it's something to do with your system/config.

Good luck  ;)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Tonight I was playing with my kids, and one game we played was Q-Bert. The strange thing is I could hear Q-Bert audio that was out of sync with the state of the game, on top of the normal (in sync) Q-Bert audio. Eventually I realized what it was; the avi video in Mala was still playing and I could hear the audio of that avi during gameplay! I never noticed this aspect of the problem before because I used to have the avi audio turned off.

Then, when I exited the game mala didn't have focus. So, for whatever reason when I launched the game, mala did something "abnormal" - forgetting to stop the avi, and neglecting to watch for the mame process to terminate.

I think this MUST have something to do with the problem I've been experiencing. It sure doesn't seem to be a coincidence.

Unfortunately it doesn't give me any ideas for solving or working around the problem.

OK, I know how to reproduce the focus issue I mentioned here. All you have to do is navigate to a game, and before the avi snap has a chance to start, launch the game. You'll hear that the avi snap is still playing while mame is also running the game, and when you exit the game mala does not have focus. I'd love to hear if anyone can reproduce this. I'll try headkaze's registry suggestion to hopefully at least fix the focus issue, but that obviously doesn't help with hearing the avi snap playing while the game is also running.

Reading back thru my other posts, I'm guessing that there is more than one focus issue because this doesn't explain some of what I described, but this seems to be the biggest focus issue for me. And I do think it explains the "launch game on start problem" because that would probably occur before the game that's selected in the list has a chance to start the avi snap.

So what I'm wondering is, what are the chances of getting the developer to fix this? I've posted some bug reports at the mala site before and never heard a word back. I wonder if the developer even works on this anymore.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 01:18:32 am »
Loadman, any thoughts on the chances of getting this fixed? Is mala development inactive?

Regarding headkaze's suggestion, I have no DivXNetworks registry key.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 01:36:26 am »
It seems to me like you are going to have to do more to help  troubleshoot your issue.  Loadman has already recommended how to do this.  It only takes a few minutes to rename your mala.ini file so that Mala will generate a new one.  If the problem goes away, something in your Mala.ini file is causing the problem.  After that, it takes only a few copy and paste attempts from your original Mala.ini to the new Mala.ini to zero in on what entry in Mala.ini is causing the problem. 

Its not like you're going to lose anything as you'll have your original Mala.ini file to go back to.  Again, I just fail to see what the hangup is in doing this.  I understand its intermittent, but I don't see it getting magically fixed without these troubleshooting steps.

patrickmaher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2009, 06:45:05 am
    • Patrick Maher
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 02:00:47 am »
OK, I know how to reproduce the focus issue I mentioned here. All you have to do is navigate to a game, and before the avi snap has a chance to start, launch the game. You'll hear that the avi snap is still playing while mame is also running the game, and when you exit the game mala does not have focus. I'd love to hear if anyone can reproduce this. I'll try headkaze's registry suggestion to hopefully at least fix the focus issue, but that obviously doesn't help with hearing the avi snap playing while the game is also running.

Just out of curiosity, what codec are you using to play the divx/xvid files?

I have noticed when using the divx codec it will open a program in the system tray every time I open a divx video in my media player. This can cause problems when I close one video and open another to quickly because the divx program in the system tray closes and then reopen.

I know it wont be the solution to any bugs in your FE but if you are using the divx codec, maybe it will help the problem to happen less if you use the xvid codec.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 03:35:21 am »
Yep  :) Read my Signature  ;D

...please send the exact scenario to enable debugging to take place.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 11:47:52 am »
I don't remember off hand which codec it is, but I went through this once before a few months ago, and I ended up using the one recommended on the emumovies website, whichever one that is. I can try going through it again though.

So are you guys saying it's the codec's fault that mala keeps playing the video? I can understand the focus issue possibly being blamed on the codec, but I would think it's entirely up to mala whether or not to stop playing the video. Incidentally, that's why I didn't think starting with a clean mala would have anything to do with it SGT.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 09:24:58 pm »
Loadman, any thoughts on the chances of getting this fixed? Is mala development inactive?

MaLa development is about to fire up again.   ;D

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
I do have the latest xvid codec, so nothing to try there (unless there's another codec you'd recommend). Loadman, what are you looking for when you say "send the exact scenario"? I assume that means the steps to reproduce that I gave aren't adequate. Maybe you were wanting to know what codec I have? Or was it something more than that? Maybe platform? I'm running XP SP2 and though I wouldn't expect this to cause my problem, my arcade doesn't normally run using an administrator user account.

I appreciate the help and suggestions everyone!

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »

MaLa development is about to fire up again.   ;D

whats he going to work on? about all I can think of is true png transparency(I think the current way makes things look jagged at the edges of transparent things and really throws off the whole look) and it would be cool if the text lists wrapped(I mean when you are at a it would show the z right above it instead of showing blank space. But really thats not a huge deal. It's pretty nice as is.(I don't use it personally as I want true transparency for my png's but it is nice and lightweight)

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 08:35:31 am »
Anything new on that?

I had the same problem when I made a Mame-Cab for someone else. I don't have access to it anymore but I had the "losing focus problem", too and I had no videos running. When exiting a game sometimes Mala doesn't react and you have to left- or right-click the mouse.

I had installed the latest version with standard layout and configuration

???

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 09:19:54 am »
Try installing the MaLaFocusLogger plugin I made. Best case scenario - it may fix your focus problem, worst case scenario - if another application is stealing focus you can find out what it is and then deal with it.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 04:41:08 am »
Thanks.....I'll give it a try :)

:cheers:

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:34 am »
Thanks.....I'll give it a try :)

Let us know how you go please  ;D

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 09:12:41 am »
Yeah, I'd love to know too. I haven't had a loss of focus problem since I installed it. It's always possible that something else changed that made the problem go away, but I'm pretty sure it's the plugin that did it. It would be nice to hear if it helps or doesn't help for someone else.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 02:46:27 am »
hmmm.....is the plugin showed inside Mala (Options/Event Plugins) ?? I cannot see it.

I made a directory "plugins" in the Mala-directory where I've put the .mplugin file. I copied the other three files into the Mala directory itself....is that correct so far? Is there a error message if loading a plugin fails?

I don't have a Mame-Cab at the moment and it wasn't my cab that had the problem. I will send the files to the owner and tell him to test it so I can report here :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:51:12 am by Luigi »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 07:42:18 am »
I made a directory "plugins" in the Mala-directory where I've put the .mplugin file. I copied the other three files into the Mala directory itself....is that correct so far? Is there a error message if loading a plugin fails?

???

The 'plugins' folder is automatically created (if missing) if you have the latest version where plug-ins are supported.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 09:06:00 am »
Having to create the plugins directory sounds suspicious to me as well. Can you get other plugins to load properly?

I don't think mala reports on loading problems (would be nice!), but if it truly is a problem with loading that plugin, then rather than dealing with the 3 extra C runtime files, you could just install the C runtime here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 08:48:53 am »
Hi.

I downloaded the 1.04 version again and when running mala.exe all directories were created. I downloaded and installed EmuWave and it is shown in the "Event Plugins"-Tab....but Focus Logger isn't  ???  I'll try the C++ package at home.....I have no admin rights here at work   ;)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 09:18:11 am »
2 other suggestions - if you're willing please try these before installing the package from microsoft.com. You could try putting the C runtime files in the plugins directory and see if it loads then (for me it would only load if I put them in the exe directory). You could also try running Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) and load the dll in it (you would probably need the C runtime files in the plugins directory for this to work). It will report any required dll's that fail to load.

Please report back and let me know what works. I'd like to add the info to the plugin download so other people don't run into the same problem.

It would also be interesting to know which version of windows you're running.

Thanks Luigi, and sorry for the trouble.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 07:04:51 am »
You could try putting the C runtime files in the plugins directory and see if it loads then (for me it would only load if I put them in the exe directory).
Please report back and let me know what works. I'd like to add the info to the plugin download so other people don't run into the same problem.

Yeah, I've placed the three files into the plugins-directory and now it is shown in the "Event Plugin"-Tab   :applaud:
I don#t understand why I didn#t try that before on my own  :banghead:

It would also be interesting to know which version of windows you're running.

I have WinXP Professional Version 2002, SP2 installed.

Thanks Luigi, and sorry for the trouble.

No trouble at all and thus no need to say "sorry" :)

I appreciate you guys make Mala even more comfortable and powerful !!  :notworthy:

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 09:11:36 am »
Strange. I use XP SP2 as well, and while I initially expected it to work fine if I put those files in the plugins directory, I could only get it to work if I put it in the main directory. ??? Glad you got it working though!

Loadman: how do I go about updating the description for MaLaFocusLogger and the readme for MaLaLauncher on the malafe.net plugin page?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
Loadman: how do I go about updating the description for MaLaFocusLogger and the readme for MaLaLauncher on the malafe.net plugin page?

Just send it again as MaLaFocusLogger 2 and I will fix it up   :P
 :applaud:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2008, 08:47:24 pm »
I just thought I'd add that I'm using the latest Mala also, and have been having this problem for some time... it occured on my previous 'build' of Win2k, and its happening on WinXP too.

In my case I'm not using AVI snaps or any intro videos at all... 100% of the time when I boot up and Mala automatically starts, it does not have focus so the joysticks don't do anything. I have to open the keyboard drawer and click the mouse on the menu for it to gain focus and work. Quite frustrating.

I've yet to try the 'delete ini' trick because I haven't had time to debug this... hopefully I will one day.

Does anybody have a workaround util that could be added to the startup menu and force focus onto the Mala application?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:07 am »
It sounds like something else is 'stealing' focus rather than MaLa losing it in this case.

Q1) What is that app is in focus before you click the mouse on the menu?

Q2) How are you starting MaLa on windows start?
a) Using the option in MaLa
b) A MaLa shortcut in the windows startup Folder
c) Using MaLa as the windows shell?

It would be good to know  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:26:34 am by loadman »

AdamC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2009, 09:00:48 am
    • Adams Arcade Machine
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2008, 02:45:37 am »
I dont lose focus running Mala on my Mame cabinet, but i do lose focus while running it on my jukebox machine. On the juke its running - SkJukebox & Ultrastar Deluxe. (Starts skjukebox as soon as mala starts)
I have tried using the focus plugin, and that seemed to help, but its still dropping out.

I have a house full of ppl here atm , so I will check on how mala is set to start (as per loadmans previous post) and versions, etc , tomorrow after work.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 11:12:35 am »
I Guess SK-Jukebox take focus sometimes from Mala after Sk-Jukebox have readed its database?
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 12:00:30 am »
I'm currently enhancing the plugin. I recently installed stella for Atari 2600 emulation and my son and I have found on a handful of occasions when launching stella it doesn't capture focus properly. In that case, since no window had focus, the plugin was setting it back to MaLa even though stella was running. I'm making it so you can configure the plugin to run down a prioritized list of windows to try to set focus to, where MaLa would be last (as in, if the stella window exists set focus there; if not, set it to mala).

Hopefully that will solve my problem with stella, and hopefully that is the same issue reported here even with the use of the plugin. Incidentally, if you're using the plugin and still having focus problems, examine the log file right after you experience the problem and it may clue you in as to what, if anything, is ending up with focus (or "stealing" it).

I'll post back when my enhancement is ready, assuming it proves helpful for my situation.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 02:32:53 am »
I'll post back when my enhancement is ready

:-)

It will be great to know in what circumstances Focus is an issue.

AdamC

• Offline Offline
    • Adams Arcade Machine
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 10:29:14 pm »
OK i think i have fixed it on my machine.. (jukebox)

Juke-  MaLa 1.04 (1.04.05)   with MaLaFocusLogger plugin installed.

"Starts with windows"  box is checked.
Starts SkJukebox when MaLa starts.

This is when I lose Focus on MaLa, after you exit out of SkJukebox.

When I turned off the automatic starting of SkJukebox, it seems to be ok.

On my Mame cab , its the same version , but without the plugin installed. I have no probs on this machine.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 11:32:19 pm »
Again, I suggest looking at the malafocuslogger.log file to see what is happening with focus at that point (it will tell you what app, if any, has focus).

Also, you may have more luck if you set up mala to be your windows shell rather than explorer (on your cab only, of course). You can find info on that by searching the forums or the wiki.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:00 am »
If anyone with focus issues could please post the logs from the plug-in focus logger her that would be great.

The focus issue does not happen to me so I need to know what circumstances it does so I have a hope of fixing it.

Thanks

AdamC

• Offline Offline
    • Adams Arcade Machine
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 12:40:30 am »
Here are some logs for you

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2008, 02:02:14 am »
Adam, from my perspective that's really not enough info. You gotta do a little bit of the investigative work. When the problem happens, stop at that point and find the handful of relevant log file lines.

That said, what OS are you running? It doesn't seem to be able to set the focus window. I believe in 98/ME it won't be able to set the focus window generally. I have XP only so that's the only environment I've confirmed it will work in, though I believe it will work in anything other than 98/ME.

One more thing, Adam. It looks like you have so many processes running that from my limited perspective I think you are just asking for focus problems. You really need to get it confined to the bare minimum necessary for your gaming environment. That includes making mala your windows shell if at all possible (i.e. if it's a dedicated gaming system like a cab).

Loadman, what is the frmBlend window? It belongs to MaLa and I see that window gets the focus sometimes in Adam's log file.

swindus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:52:50 am
    • MaLa - M.A.M.E. Launcher
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:17 am »
The frmBlend windows is for the fades when showing the menu or info window or while switching the orientation. It holds a bitmap of the main window which fades to/from black.

AdamC

• Offline Offline
    • Adams Arcade Machine
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2008, 04:12:06 am »
Part one has been there for a while , cause the lines concerning the flash drive were all done a few days ago.
Thats why i deleted it and started Mala a few times with Skjukebox on auto start , and with it off. (Part 2)
A time stamp might come in handy in the FocusLogger.  ;)

Things seem ok when i dont have Skjukebox starting automatically when Mala starts , so thats the way im going to keep it.

I am using XP, btw.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:38 am »
AdamC . I like your avatar.

It reminds me of an old Amiga Game I use to play called 'Another World'  ;D

swindus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:52:50 am
    • MaLa - M.A.M.E. Launcher
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2008, 08:06:02 am »

Yeah, nice game. But I think the avatar is from Flashback, another nice one.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2008, 08:59:14 am »
Yeah, nice game. But I think the avatar is from Flashback, another nice one.

Ahh yes, It was the next game in the series I think.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

Yeah, I know. I've been too lazy to do that so far (since it hasn't been necessary for me), but I'm going to have to do that at some point.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:01 am »

Yeah, I know. I've been too lazy to do that so far (since it hasn't been necessary for me), but I'm going to have to do that at some point.

Yeah that would be super cool.  ;D

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2008, 10:37:46 am »

LOL, I've just been watching the walk-through on Youtube 10 mins ago. I had it on my Mac. On Mac it did 1024x768 resolution as well as it was vector. Amazing graphics on those high res screens. It looked even better than the Amiga version.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:32 pm »

Yeah that would be super cool.  ;D

You guys will be happy to know that I just put it in. It's still undergoing my son's testing (he's the one that seems to be able to cause focus problems the most) but so far so good. If and when it's ready for release I'll update it on malafe.net and let you guys know.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2008, 06:31:12 am »
Just out of interest...

Do you find the focus issue any better/worse when using/not using fullscreen picture on game start option'?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2008, 12:07:04 am »
BUMP

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2008, 05:27:05 am »
loadman, I'm able to reproduce this problem 100% of the time when my arcade boots, Mala NEVER has focus until I use the mouse and click on it again.

To answer your question above, my 'use full screen pictures' option in the game start box is not checked.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:34 am »
loadman, I'm able to reproduce this problem 100% of the time when my arcade boots, Mala NEVER has focus until I use the mouse and click on it again.

To answer your question above, my 'use full screen pictures' option in the game start box is not checked.

Did you try the focus logger plug-in to see what program is getting focus instead of MaLa?

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2008, 09:40:59 am »
Sorry loadman I didn't see your reply.

I've been talking to someone on AussieArcade.com.au about this problem and we've both seperately come up with a workaround.

For those experiencing the problem, I suggest trying these two things and let us know which (if any) work for you:

1) If you're running Windows XP, right click on Mala.exe, go to 'compatibility' and change compatibility to Windows 95. Reboot.   If that doesn't fix it, try Windows 98.   

2) I went into the taskbar properties and unchecked 'auto hide Windows taskbar'. I then went into Mala options>GUI tab>Display tab>  and unchecked 'display Windows taskbar'.  Reboot. This one worked for me.

whynotpizza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 08:26:35 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2008, 10:21:22 pm »
Hi Loadman.

I tried the plugin to see what is happening here (which is all the time - on multiple machines using the same MaLa configuration)

Here is the output.

While Mala is great, this issue can get real old, especially when it is experienced all the time (or often).

After the load of the video preview, Mala seems to drop focus and you need to LEFT click the mouse to get back in control on the Mala UI.

Any ideas?

I'd be willing to help in whatever way possible to put this issue to rest!  :)

David

MaLaFocusLogger started.
frmSplash (process: MaLa.exe)
MaLa Frontend for Arcade Cabinets :: Plugins - Microsoft Internet Explorer (process: iexplore.exe)
MaLa (process: MaLa.exe)
frmBlend (process: MaLa.exe)
Options (process: MaLa.exe)
DivX Menu Navigator (process: divxsm.exe)
MaLaFocusLogger ended.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2008, 10:26:16 pm »
Hi

I don't know what 'divxsm.exe' is  ??? That is your answer here. At I guess I assume it's some Divx crap running in the background that wants to take control when you run a video?

I use and recommend the xvid codec. 

You really don't want to use to use divx. Rid your machine of all that. There are many posts about that. Have a search ;)

Apart from that did you try the suggestion of the post before yours to set the taskbar to hide?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:27:57 pm by loadman »

whynotpizza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 08:26:35 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2008, 06:35:45 am »

Ah, I didn't really catch that in the previous posts (aka UNINSTALL the DivX stuff).

After I did a complete uninstall of DivX, it worked like a champ.

:)

That works for me.

Thanks Loadman...

David

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2008, 07:28:17 am »
Great  ;D

There is still a focus issue apparently.

I am yet to experience it but I have it on good authority.  ;)

When I get to it on my list I will ask more questions of those who reported it

slsimon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2012, 11:49:12 am
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »
Great  ;D

There is still a focus issue apparently.

I am yet to experience it but I have it on good authority.  ;)

When I get to it on my list I will ask more questions of those who reported it

I have verified and the loss of focus is still a problem with both version 1.05 and 1.06 beta.  I am using the Mala focus plugin and it seemed to fix my problem.  I would have to use the left mouse click button after playing every game to focus back to the gamelist and or after resuming a game from the screensaver.  Just a heads up.  Thanks, Shane

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2008, 06:06:18 pm »

I have verified and the loss of focus is still a problem with both version 1.05 and 1.06 beta.  I am using the Mala focus plugin and it seemed to fix my problem.  I would have to use the left mouse click button after playing every game to focus back to the gamelist and or after resuming a game from the screensaver.  Just a heads up.  Thanks, Shane
Thanks for the info  ;)

Do you have videos in your layout?

Do you use mouse/trackball to navigate the list?

slsimon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2012, 11:49:12 am
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2008, 08:42:03 pm »

Hey Loadman, I know Circo has SQ and HQ quality previews.  Which do you use and or would
you suggest to allow for the best playlist preview and screensaver preview?  I think I am using
the HQ set but an older set. 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:55:28 pm by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2008, 08:56:29 pm »
Hey Loadman, I know Circo has SQ and HQ quality previews.  Which do you use and or would
you suggest to allow for the best playlist preview and screensaver preview?  I think I am using
the HQ set but an older set. 

See which one works best for you and your PC speed.

I find HQ looks better but takes longer to load.

P.S. I accidently cropped your previous post.. Sorry

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:59:02 pm by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2008, 02:41:23 am »

This issue has been fixed for the next MaLa release.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:44:29 am by loadman »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2008, 12:59:35 pm »
I saw that, and that's great! But this was only one way that loss of focus would occur, so don't get too excited. ;)

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2008, 06:07:13 pm »
I saw that, and that's great! But this was only one way that loss of focus would occur, so don't get too excited. ;)

Cool  ;)

I am looking forward to fixing any other focus issues  ;)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »
Man, too bad this didn't occur to me when the thread was started. Its title reads like some bad headlines: loss of focus problem. Well, isn't that a good thing?  (You know, really it's a FOCUS problem.) Haw haw haw.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
Re: mala - "loss of focus" problem
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2008, 07:06:48 pm »
Ummon, just for you I'm fixing it! ;D

diggso

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2018, 02:57:43 am
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »
Hi all,
I was having this problem every time the machine booted and I traced the problem down to the fact that I had checked the 'Autohide the taskbar' checkbox.
To resolve, just right click the taskbar, select 'Properties' and uncheck this checkbox.
Failing that, also uncheck all the rest of the taskbar property checkboxes.
Cheers, diggso

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2008, 05:18:51 pm »
Hi all,
I was having this problem every time the machine booted and I traced the problem down to the fact that I had checked the 'Autohide the taskbar' checkbox.
To resolve, just right click the taskbar, select 'Properties' and uncheck this checkbox.
Failing that, also uncheck all the rest of the taskbar property checkboxes.
Cheers, diggso

Thanks 4 the tip  ;)

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2008, 11:30:09 pm »
It could be either the DivX codec stealing focus from Mala. There are registry entries you can make to prevent the codec stealing focus. I'm not sure if that is what the problem is but it might be worth checking out.

Here is an example..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DivXNetworks\DivX\SMExclusions]
"Mala"="Mala.exe"

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this tip.  That Reg fix did the trick for me!  My specific issue was when playing EmuMovies avi files, other than MAME ones.  Like whenever I played an Atari 2600 movie in Mala, it would steal the focus.

Anyway thanks again! :notworthy:

beercade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2009, 09:01:51 pm
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2008, 12:29:46 pm »
Another taskbar tip;  In the properties of taskbar, uncheck the box called "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows"  This fixed my problem regardless of the tool bar being hidden or not.   

It did not, however fix all of my focus problems.  Here is the senerio; I run mala speech plugin to say the button actions, so for a game like SF it can take 15-20 seconds to speek all the commands.  In that time, while at the "get ready to Play!" screen and while it is speaking, if i move the stick up or down i can hear mala sounds for the game list select and the screen goes black, except for the video snap.  It stays in this state, never launches the game, and escaping brings up the quit mala conframation box, which at that point is all I can do.  Im guessing that in this case that the speech plugin does have focus untill i move the stick, at which point mala re-gains focus and mame never gets a chance to launch, and the speech plugin is in limbo.  I will install the focus loger and see what i can find out.

kagaden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2022, 10:58:37 pm
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »
So far in Mala, I've gotten a focus issue twice out of approximately 4000 game launches in the past month.

My Mala is shelled on a fresh install of windows xp sp2.
HyperAttract.exe (see software forum) is the only other application running and that runs on Mala load through TheShanMan's launcher plugin.

I'm not running any video in Mala.
I'm not running any sound in Mala.
My toolbar is set to not Auto-hide.
I do have a screensaver that comes on (through Mala), but it doesn't appear to be related to this.

I plan on installing the focus logger tomorrow and seeing what's taking focus if I can catch it. It may take a couple weeks to get it. There shouldn't be anything that's alt-tabbable though to run into.

I reproduced it the first time by launching an emulator (pressing P1 start) and then quickly dropping out before the game fully loaded (Pressing P1 & P2 Start). I've tried to reproduce it a couple times afterwards and it doesn't appear easily reproducible this way.

I hope this helps, I'll post more information as I find it out from the logger.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »
Cool. It will be good to hear the results. I know this must be a thorn in Loadman's side, so anything that helps him figure out what's going on (assuming it's something he can control) would be good. And hopefully my plugin will help. Might even help you work around the problem by forcing focus back to mala! :)

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2009, 01:14:17 am »
It's happened a couple more times now, I'll pull the logs tomorrow and post them.

So, mala focus logger did not resolve the problem. The logs state that "no window has focus" and then Focus Logger attempts to shift focus to Mala and fails. It doesn't give a detailed reason why it fails, but looking at the log history it seems pretty clear that nothing has focus.

I'm thinking at this point that perhaps Plugins may cause the problem? This problem has actually gotten worse the more plugins I've used. Before I used the autolauncher I never had the problem. After using the autolauncher plugin, I had it twice in the span of a month. Now, since adding in focus logger, I'm getting it about once every 2 days with reasonable consistency. I'm still not sure how to reproduce it reliably though, and it's always after exiting an emulator and losing focus.

Logs coming soon, but they don't appear to tell much other than it's a mystery :(

Edit: I found the exact line that was in adamc's log file... Malafocuslogger doesn't fix focus for me either, I'm using WinXPsp3.

No window has focus: setting focus to MaLa.
-- Failed to set focus to MaLa.

Again, I'll post the log tomorrow. The only out of the box thing I've done with Mala was use plugins, and it seems to get worse with more plugins. Now I'm curious, how does Mala handle plugins, is it attempting to reload them or something which can steal focus if timed properly? I'm still even using the default layout with a different background/wallpaper and this is a squeaky clean install of xp.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:37:19 am by kagaden »

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2009, 01:43:41 am »
Loadman,

Since you're trying to reproduce the issue, I recommend adding some plugins to your test environment if you haven't already. Just in case ;)

I'm currently using:
Autolauncher w/ hyperattract.exe
Malafocuslogger

It seems to happen pretty frequently now, I'd put it at about 5% of the time that it will lose focus.

TheShanMan,

Can you think of any reason why the focuslogger would fail when attempting to shift focus back to Mala? I have my install set to my D: drive in a media\Mala folder and MaLa.exe is not renamed or anything. It's an active process running... weird.

Luigi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2009, 02:09:39 am »

I installed a Mame cab for a friend without any plugins but the problem's there, too.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »
Yeah, I don't think the plugins have anything to do with it. If by "autolauncher" you mean my MaLaLauncher plugin, I have both plugins running and don't have any trouble with them. I don't recall exactly what the causes of not being able to set focus, but I seem to recall that it does depend on the OS. What version of Windows are you running? I'm running XP SP3. I just call a Windows API function to change the focus and report back whether or not it succeeded, so I'm afraid it's not something I have much control over.

And just for the sake of accuracy, "no window has focus" doesn't mean another app isn't stealing focus. The logger uses a polling method of checking focus, and as I recall I think it's every 0.25 seconds. So it certainly can miss some focus changes if they happen in rapid succession. The goal of the plugin was not so much about 100% accuracy with logging as it was with minimizing cpu cycles and trying to set focus back.

Sorry none of that helps you. I wish it was as successful for you as it has been for me.

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2009, 10:42:53 pm »
Yeah, I don't think the plugins have anything to do with it. If by "autolauncher" you mean my MaLaLauncher plugin, I have both plugins running and don't have any trouble with them. I don't recall exactly what the causes of not being able to set focus, but I seem to recall that it does depend on the OS. What version of Windows are you running? I'm running XP SP3. I just call a Windows API function to change the focus and report back whether or not it succeeded, so I'm afraid it's not something I have much control over.

And just for the sake of accuracy, "no window has focus" doesn't mean another app isn't stealing focus. The logger uses a polling method of checking focus, and as I recall I think it's every 0.25 seconds. So it certainly can miss some focus changes if they happen in rapid succession. The goal of the plugin was not so much about 100% accuracy with logging as it was with minimizing cpu cycles and trying to set focus back.

Sorry none of that helps you. I wish it was as successful for you as it has been for me.

I'm using xp service pack 3 (fresh install) as well and the refocus fails :( There are no other tabbable applications running to take focus.

It's interesting I'm getting this problem MUCH more often now. It happened 3 times today so far. =/ Each time I'll reboot, it'll be fine for a couple hours, and then it'll happen again out of nowhere. Weird.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:46:33 pm by kagaden »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:02 pm »
It doesn't have to be an alt-tabbable action. If you're convinced that the plugins are somehow involved, remove them and see what happens.

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:08 am »
It doesn't have to be an alt-tabbable action. If you're convinced that the plugins are somehow involved, remove them and see what happens.

Exactly what I intend to do when I get a moment to work on it. :)

slapaham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2012, 05:32:32 pm
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2009, 01:37:42 pm »
Add me to the list of people having this problem. Havent tried all the solutions here yet but thought I should let people know!

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2009, 06:26:06 pm »
One thing people have to bear in mind is that you have to be really careful about what software you let run on your system, and that includes stuff like drivers that have tray icons or other "background" tasks. If the logger can't tell you what has focus then I'd recommend looking at task manager and making a note of all the running processes (process tab, not application tab) and find out what each process is for (search for the filename on google). Of course there will be necessary/harmless ones like svchost but if there are exe's that aren't absolutely necessary for your system to run, then try eliminating all of those and see if the problem goes away. Then if there are some processes that you would like to have running, add them back one at a time and see when the problems return.

I bet most if not all people who have this problem can eliminate it by taking these steps. Yeah, it's a pain, but how badly do you want to eliminate the need to pull out the mouse or keyboard to correct it?

slapaham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2012, 05:32:32 pm
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2009, 03:55:51 pm »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you TheShanMan! :cheers:

I have tried EVERYTHING to solve my loss of focus problem today! And nothing worked apart from your plugin (which, stupidly, I tried last! :banghead:)

I'm cautiously saying it has solved the problem (I have been playing my cab for a while without any problems so far - don't want to jinx it though! ;D) - I got the problem everytime I booted my cab up into Mala (which autoloaded the last game - usually Mortal Kombat for me at the moment! ;D) Whenever I played to around the third fight (2-3 minutes) and then exited, I'd lose focus - that would be EVERY TIME - I have now tried it twice since installing the plugin and it hasn't done it yet - fingers crossed for the future!

Thanks again!

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2009, 08:00:29 pm »
Cool! Nothing is more annoying than having to pull out your keyboard or mouse to get your cab working right again, so I'm glad it has helped you.

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2009, 04:52:31 pm »

Exactly what I intend to do when I get a moment to work on it. :)

Before Autolauncher being installed, I had never gotten a focus issue.

After Autolauncher was installed, I was getting loss of focus once or twice per month.

After Malafocuslogger was installed I'd get loss of focus about 2-3 times a day with the same amount of use. Malafocuslogger failing to restore focus probably compounded this problem on my XP-SP3 system. This was consistent for several weeks.

After I removed Malafocuslogger, I haven't had another loss in focus problem again yet (knock on wood). It's been roughly a month. I'd much rather deal with 1-2 times per month than 2-3 times per day. :P

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2009, 05:30:18 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Both work flawlessly on my XP SP3 system. If I had any idea how to reproduce it I'd look into fixing it. Do you have explorer or mala set to be your windows shell (if you have a start menu/task bar then it's explorer)? I don't know if that would matter but that's the only thing I can think of. I have mala set to be my shell, so explorer doesn't run on my cab.

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Both work flawlessly on my XP SP3 system. If I had any idea how to reproduce it I'd look into fixing it. Do you have explorer or mala set to be your windows shell (if you have a start menu/task bar then it's explorer)? I don't know if that would matter but that's the only thing I can think of. I have mala set to be my shell, so explorer doesn't run on my cab.

Same, I'm shelled with mala using Instant Sheller. It's no biggie, it's livable :)

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2009, 05:19:43 pm »
FYI.

This issue has not gone off my radar.

\

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2009, 04:19:46 am »
Just a quick update:
Since removing the focuslogger about a month ago, I haven't seen a single instance of loss of focus since *knock on wood*. Really strange but thanks for focuslogger cause uninstalling it seemed to fix the issue ;P

This is on a machine thats running 24/7 and is getting a little over 2700 plays a month.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2009, 04:21:38 am »
Just a quick update:
Since removing the focuslogger about a month ago, I haven't seen a single instance of loss of focus since *knock on wood*. Really strange but thanks for focuslogger cause uninstalling it seemed to fix the issue ;P

This is on a machine thats running 24/7 and gets a little over 2700 plays a month.

Thanks for the feedback.

What version are you using?

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2009, 12:43:56 am »
1.0.5.8 is the version I'm using.

And I meant the thanks in a sincere way. Whatever happened after installing the plugin, running it for awhile (which made it worse), and then removing it seems to have totally cured my lack of focus issue.

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2009, 10:49:24 pm »
Just thought I'd note that I -completely forgot- to mention when I adjusted the plugin's earlier this year (see earlier post) I ALSO disabled the screensaver built into mala as well... I had about 20 pictures that would cycle through after 2 minutes of inactivity. It very well could have been disabling the screensaver that fixed the loss of focus problem for me.

I haven't had a single instance of it since I made the adjustment. It runs beautifully besides j-pac freaking out every once in awhile after being on for weeks at a time and needing a reboot. :)

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:14 am »
Again, I suggest looking at the malafocuslogger.log file to see what is happening with focus at that point (it will tell you what app, if any, has focus).

Also, you may have more luck if you set up mala to be your windows shell rather than explorer (on your cab only, of course). You can find info on that by searching the forums or the wiki.

Love the Plug-in. ;-)

No offense, but I am making some changes to MaLa so hopefully this plug-in won't be required anymore.

In the meantime I am using this as a tool. Is there any chance you could update the plug-in to put a date/time stamp on each log entry?  That way I can marry each entry up with the MaLa logs to dbug the issue.

Thanks in advance

Loadman

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2010, 06:10:55 am »

Love the Plug-in. ;-)

No offense, but I am making some changes to MaLa so hopefully this plug-in won't be required anymore.

In the meantime I am using this as a tool. Is there any chance you could update the plug-in to put a date/time stamp on each log entry?  That way I can marry each entry up with the MaLa logs to dbug the issue.

Thanks in advance

Loadman

NAG   ;D

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2010, 01:07:50 pm »
Here an example of loss of focus. Running Actionmax emulator and then ending a game makes the whole screnn cluttered. I run 1280 x 800 in resolution for my menu. This actionmax emu is just one of more that won't return to a normal menu screen. Very annoying..

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:58:27 pm by Henrik68000 »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2010, 08:26:38 pm »
Here an example of loss of focus. Running Actionmax emulator and then ending a game makes the whole screnn cluttered. I run 1280 x 800 i resolution for my menu. This actionmax emu is just one of more that wont return to a normal menu screen. Very annoying..

What command line are you using?

Have you tried the option  Gui-Game Start/Quit - ReOrder Layout after Game QUit  ?

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2010, 02:42:11 pm »
I use the command line  "%path%\%rom%.%ext%". The games are run from bats. ( the only way to run them)

The bats are like this : @singedaphne.exe singe vldp -framefile singe/ActionMax/frame_BlueThunder.txt singe/ActionMax/BlueThunder.singe -fullscreen

I have turned on the *reorder layout if clustered after game quit* but this feature seems to have no effect at all?

I have the same problem with AAE emulator. The commandline here is : %rom%

It's a really big shame that i cant run the AAE emu. I would love to have that one in my setup.  I gave up on a setup of PC games (run with bats) since really many of them clustered the layout after game quit.

I think the cluster happens when you quit from one resolution to another (from emu resolution to layout resolution), but this is not a consistant fact.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:22:57 am by Henrik68000 »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »
I have heard of these issues but I have never seen it so it hard to fix...

I only use MAME really so for other emulators I would need someone to send me the software and instructions (for at least 1 game) so I can set it up to test it.

PM me if interested in doing that

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2010, 10:10:56 am »
ok. Ill contact you reading passing over files of my setup to you.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2010, 08:49:14 pm »
ok. Ill contact you reading passing over files of my setup to you.

Another Option is to send a VM image of your PC  ;-)   :laugh2:

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:08 am »
 HI  Again, This way you  suggest i do not know. Can i send a DVD?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2024, 11:25:23 am
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2010, 03:20:16 pm »
Not sure if this helps but autohotkey fixed this issue for me.  It runs a script after the "ESC" button is pressed so that 0.5 seconds after the button press a left mouse click is simulated.  This returns focus to MaLa as the top window.  I've been running it for a few months with no problems - it used to happen EVERY time I initially booted my machine - I had MaLa set to run at startup and launch DK.  When I was done playing and wanted to play something else I'd hit the ESC button to go back to the gamelist and MaLa would lose focus every single time.   Not anymore!  :cheers:

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2010, 07:36:38 am »
Not sure if this helps but autohotkey fixed this issue for me.  It runs a script after the "ESC" button is pressed so that 0.5 seconds after the button press a left mouse click is simulated.  This returns focus to MaLa as the top window.  I've been running it for a few months with no problems - it used to happen EVERY time I initially booted my machine - I had MaLa set to run at startup and launch DK.  When I was done playing and wanted to play something else I'd hit the ESC button to go back to the gamelist and MaLa would lose focus every single time.   Not anymore!  :cheers:

I've send you a personal message since i would like to hear more about your solution. Theres certain things i dont understand 'bout your trick.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:16:04 am by Henrik68000 »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »
HI  Again, This way you  suggest i do not know. Can i send a DVD?

FYI.

I have not yet received anything :-(

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »
I've been manually closing processes until I've found the problem: CTFMON.exe. Once it's killed, no more focus loss. That's the reason I do not have any problem when MaLa loads at startup before explorer, because there are no processes in memory. When I launch MaLa from Windows, if ctfmon is running, the problem of focus is there. I have tried with the focus logger plugin. Is this plugin supposed to do something or it just writes information in the log file? the log file says that no window has focus, and failed to set focus to MaLa. I've tried putting all the files in the plugin folder as well as in the MaLa root folder. Anyway, I can fix the problem, either but removing the ctfmon program from the registry, or automatically killing it when MaLa is launched from Windows (I run a MaLa-launcher.exe in this case which uses AutoHotkey commands to hide and restore mouse pointers on the fly). I'll just have to add a line: process, close, ctfmon.exe

Can people please let me know if they have success by removing/disabling ctfmon.

http://www.pchell.com/support/ctfmon.shtml
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:18:58 pm by loadman »

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2010, 05:48:33 am »
I had no luck with my clutter problem after disabling ctfmon.  My clutter is not at mala startup, but when certain games/emu's are closed by 'esc' (AAE /ActionMax and many pc games, and a few emu's i can nolonger remember).

Loadman i will still send a harddrive to you but i'm a bit disabled after a carcrash. I can't sit at the monitor/keyboard more than 30 minutes a few times aday right now. (And  i'm not sending a 2 TB hd with the full setup , i found a 250 Gb that can do if i edit things out and leave the important stuff.
I need to finish that hd ASAP and mail it. Expect it to arrive in 3 weeks (as i expect it takes 2 weeks to Austarial (i have a lot of family there)!

Henrik
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:55:52 am by Henrik68000 »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 06:42:24 am »
I had no luck with my clutter problem after disabling ctfmon.  My clutter is not at mala startup, but when certain games/emu's are closed by 'esc' (AAE /ActionMax and many pc games, and a few emu's i can nolonger remember).

Loadman i will still send a harddrive to you but i'm a bit disabled after a carcrash. I can't sit at the monitor/keyboard more than 30 minutes a few times aday right now. (And  i'm not sending a 2 TB hd with the full setup , i found a 250 Gb that can do if i edit thnigs out snd leave the important.
I need to finish that hd ASAP and mail it. Expect it to arrive in 3 weeks (as i expect it takes 2 weeks to Austarial (i have a lot of family there)!

Henrik

NO RUSH  :o

Thanks  ;D

FlatEarth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2021, 05:58:04 pm
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2010, 05:39:06 pm »
Can people please let me know if they have success by removing/disabling ctfmon.

I have loss of focus every time at startup (running v1.70, I think, on XP SP3 Home).  I disabled ctfmon, no effect.  Still lose focus on every startup.  Only using MAME, and have no problem (so far) upon game exit, it is only on initial startup.
I don't have DivX installed, using Xvid.  I have not tried the malafocuslogger plug-in yet, and I may try the autohotkey trick to see if that works.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »
Bugger

I sympathize but I have never had this issue  ???

Can someone please send me a 'VM' (preferable VMWare image) of a system where this is happening so I can fix it?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:50:40 am by loadman »

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2010, 03:55:38 pm »
Hi, Im go nna send you mine. I just had hospital stay and then bed stay due to a car crash so i never got to send you a hd image but i will soon. Henrik

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
Hi, Im go nna send you mine. I just had hospital stay and then bed stay due to a car crash so i never got to send you a hd image but i will soon. Henrik

Mate, No worries, but there must be someone else who can send me a VM as well?  Please

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2010, 08:49:20 pm »
Hi

Just to be clear.  ;)

I have never had this issue on any of my machines, so I can't solve a bug I can't see.

What I am asking, if anyone with an unsolved 'Focus Problem' of their system to send me a VM Image of the setup

You can use VMWorkstation (if you have it) or the free conversion tool (link below)

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

The fun part is how do you get the image to me...   ;D ;D We can discuss options once you have a image for me.

Thanks in advance....  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:53:17 pm by loadman »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2011, 01:09:39 am »
Just wanna thank TheShanMan,
I used this plug in and it solved the problem for me.
Every time I would hit ESCAPE and exit to the MaLa menu I would need to click the mouse in order to play a game.
I installed the plug in and it instantly solved the problem.
I'm not very computer savvy, so this was a life saver.
Awesome tool. Thanks

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
Hey everyone.   I have tried all the tips in this thread and on one of my machines the Reg Fix did fix my issue.   On my other machine, the loss of focus problem persisted.   It was maybe like 1 out of every 100 times I exited a game the problem would occur.  But it was a bit unsettling when it occurred.  I of course knew how to fix it (left clicking to get mala back in focus), but my guests were always confused.    

anyway, like someone else once posted, I was able to correct this problem with an AHK script.  It's pretty simple:

#NoTrayIcon

~h::
Process, Exist, MaLa.exe
If (ErrorLevel != 0) ; If it is running
   {
    Sleep, 750
    Send {Click}
   }
return

H is my exit key, but you could substitute Escape or whatever you want in the above to suit your needs.   There's no way to exit the above script either, aside from killing it in Task Manager, but I am fine with that.   I just meant to keep it simple.    Anyway, just wanted to post this here in case it helps anyone.   I have been using the above script for a few days now and have not noticed any adverse affects!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:28:15 pm by markronz »

ghettodish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2017, 03:41:58 pm
the plugin worked for me, but only after I turned off my anti-virus software (avast!)

FlatEarth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2021, 05:58:04 pm
OK, I finally got my issue sorted out (I hope).
I have a minimal install, running XP SP3, xvid, and have an ArcadeVGA.  I am running MAME only.

I was having to alt-tab to get Mala focus on every startup.  I loaded the malafocuslogger plugin, and it did not solve the problem by itself but did show that ccc.exe was part of the focus log.  Hmmm, a clue!  I looked into it, and the Catalyst Control Center does not seem to be critical to the operation of the computer so I went into msconfig and disabled CLIStart.exe from the startup procedure.  It appears to have solved my problem!!

I have only tested this a few times today, but my focus problem has not repeated itself yet.  Looks like a solution, for me at least!   :cheers:

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Howdy-

Loadman asked me to share my solution for my loss of focus problem, which still persists today when I don't use the following AutoHotKey script.

I actually have 2 AHK scripts that run (copied & pasted below--BYOAC won't let me attach a .ahk file).

AutoHotKey.ahk launches when my PC boots.  The first thing it does is launch the shutdownmonitor.ahk script.

AutoHotKey.ahk launches CPWizard & then plays a random sound from a directory
It then launches MaLa, waits to be sure that MaLa is launched, pauses 10 seconds, then clicks the left mouse button, then waits for MaLa to close.
When MaLa closes, it plays another random sound.
if I'm holding down a secret key on my control panel, it will exit to Windows.  If the secret key is not held down (i.e., MaLa crashed or somebody stumbled across the exit menu if I forgot to disable it), MaLa will relaunch immediately.

The other script, shutdownmonitor.ahk, waits for the PC power button to be pressed, then plays a random sound, then executes the shutdown.

I hope these are of help to others with the loss of focus problem or who might have other issues or might want to spice up their cabinet with some random sounds.

Thanks,
-Jason

AutoHotkey.ahk:

; Launch MaLa & CPW, ensure MaLa focus, play random start & end sounds w/out clipping

; run shutdown monitor script
run, C:\Documents and Settings\Customer\My Documents\shutdownmonitor.ahk

; launch CPWizard minimized
run, C:\program files\cpwizard\cpwizard.exe -minimized

; generate random #...set high value to # of files in start sound directory, name all files #.wav
random, startsound, 1, 20

; play random start sound
soundplay, c:\emulators\mala\Sound-MaLa_Start\%startsound%.wav, wait

;Loop to launch MaLa & monitor if MaLa closes
monitormala:

; launch MaLa
run, C:\emulators\mala\mala.exe

; make sure MaLa exists before continuing
;winwait, MaLa

; as soon as MaLa loses focus, get it back
;sleep, 1000 ; had to have a short pause here or regaining focus wouldn't work...
;winwaitnotactive, MaLa
;winactivate, MaLa

sleep, 10000
click

; wait for MaLa to close (intentionally or not)
winwaitclose, MaLa

;Check for MaLa close while holding down Exit Code Key
getkeystate, state, F10
if state = D
{
  ; generate random #...set 2nd # to # of files in exit sound directory, name all files #.wav
  random, exitsound, 1, 16

; play random exit sound
  soundplay, c:\emulators\mala\Sound-MaLa_Exit\%exitsound%.wav, wait

; launch Windows Explorer
  run, explorer

; exit script
  exit
}

;If MaLa exits w/out Exit Code Key...
else
{
  ; generate random #...set 2nd # to # of files in exit sound directory, name all files #.wav
  random, exitsound, 1, 11

; play random exit sound

goto, monitormala
}

shutdownmonitor.ahk:

#singleinstance ignore

OnMessage(0x11, "powerbutton")
Return

powerbutton(wParam, lParam)
{
    SetTimer, soundoff, -10
    Return false ; abort shutdown
}

soundoff:
  random, exitsound, 1, 16

; play random exit sound

Shutdown,5

Return

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Thanks, It's never happened to me so I don't know how to fix what I can't see

I have requested that someone send me a copy of a VM that has the issue so I can attempt to fix, but so far nobody has  :'(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:40:37 pm by loadman »

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Loadman-

What's a VM?

Thanks,
-Jason

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Loadman-

What's a VM?

Thanks,
-Jason

ohh

An image of a computer setup to allow you to run it within another computer (possibly that is running another OS like Mac)

If you are keen you can use this for free:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

Then send the image files to me and/or alter with this (also free)

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:24:10 am by loadman »

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
This weekend I updated my MAME to 141 and I started having this same issue.

I've got an XP and I'm running Mala 171.

The only non game on this computer is AVG. The cabinet's computer is for gaming only and it's offline. I tried to disable AVG, but I was still losing focus when quitting a game.  I noticed that even though AVG was turned off I could still see it in the taskbar so I uninstalled it completely.

Now everything (except AVG) works.

I'll have to be extra careful about installing and copying files onto this computer but this allows Mala to keep the focus and I've freed up a bit more of the processor from AVG.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Loadman-

I looked at that first link to get VM to help you out, but it requires me to register & give my name, address, e-mail, & a password.  Have you got a logon already that I could borrow?  I'm not a big fan of giving away that much info to strangers.

Thanks,
-Jason

ohh

An image of a computer setup to allow you to run it within another computer (possibly that is running another OS like Mac)

If you are keen you can use this for free:

Then send the image files to me and/or alter with this (also free)

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Loadman-
I looked at that first link to get VM to help you out, but it requires me to register & give my name, address, e-mail, & a password.  Have you got a logon already that I could borrow?  I'm not a big fan of giving away that much info to strangers.

Download from here ASAP (for a limited time only)   ;D

Big Downloads but worth it   ;D

http://www.malafe.net/files/download/VMPlayer.zip   97MB

http://www.malafe.net/files/download/VMConverter.zip  117MB
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:08:45 am by loadman »

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Loadman-

I started downloaded the 1st file.

The 2nd link doesn't work for me--please double-check it.

Thanks,
-Jason

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
 ;D

Try again please

It may have been still uploading when you tried

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
All,

I have had an accidental break through with this issue.   ;D

I still have not experienced a situation where MaLa loses focus by itself :-\

But......

1) I now have decent working code that can detect the Active window (window in focus)
2) I now have decent working code that can get focus for MaLa.

So I'm thinking all I need to do now is get a list of know sceanrios from users where MaLa focus can be lost and apply the code in those sections.??

I will now backtrack through this email to see if I can find all the Scenarios..

List of know Scenarios where users have reported MaLa lost focus
1) MaLa Start - Normal
2) MaLa Start - With Game Start
3) Game Quit
4) Resume form screen saver
5) Any Others?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:08:13 am by loadman »

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
This is awesome!!   I'm going to be setting up a few more machines in the coming months, so this makes me very happy that this is coming close to being resolved!

For myself, I only see the problem occasionally when Mala starts, but 99% of the time, it's after I exit a game.

Thanks for the work on this loadman!

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
I used to have problem #1, which I solved w/ my AutoHotKey script that clicks the LMB several seconds after launching MaLa.

Problem #3 appeared after I installed 1.74.  Installing MalaFocusLogger solved that problem.

Thanks for your continuing hard work & support,
-Jason

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
I am rocking a bad case of #3 about 1 out of 3 game exits.  I upgraded from 1.73 to 1.74, no improvement.  I did not have this issue on the same pc (windows XP, clean install, SP3, basically nothing on it but mame, mameui, other emulators (not being used at the moment) daemon tools lite, etc.)

What changed:  was using my u360 joy with button harness as the entire CP, now have an Ipac based cp with u360 on usb.  So basically I didn't have the problem (the joystick still always works) until I started using the keyboard encoder. 

installed malafocus logger: 

results of 2 different sessions where games were entered, exited and eventually focus lost:
MaLaFocusLogger started.
Program Manager (process: Explorer.EXE)
MAME: Ms. Pac-Man [mspacman] (process: mameui.exe)
frmExit (process: MaLa.exe)
MAME: Puzzle Bobble (Japan, B-System) [pbobble] (process: mameui.exe)
MAME: R-Type (US) [rtypeu] (process: mameui.exe)
MaLaFocusLogger ended.

;;;[had to click here to refocus]

[Session 2]
MaLaFocusLogger started.
Program Manager (process: Explorer.EXE)
MAME: R-Type II [rtype2] (process: mameui.exe)
MAME: Rastan (US, set 1) [rastanu] (process: mameui.exe)
MaLaFocusLogger ended.

Any help appreciated - willing to try anything.  THANKS.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
What changed:  was using my u360 joy with button harness as the entire CP, now have an Ipac based cp with u360 on usb.  So basically I didn't have the problem (the joystick still always works) until I started using the keyboard encoder.  

Good to know a sceranrio,,,,

If I can get hold of a u360 joy I will test

Does the problem go away if you remove the u360 from usb?

Does the problem go away if you disconnect the keyboard controller? What exact type is it anyway
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:20:35 pm by loadman »

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Keyboard controller is an Ipac 2.  I unplugged the u360 from usb and played 10-12 games flawlessly with no LOF.  Then I plugged it back in and played 5 more, no LOF.  I will try both ways over the next day or so and report back.  I will see if I can narrow down the variables and will save the Log if LOF occurs.  Thanks!

kevinp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 01:40:09 pm
I'm having the same focus problems with Mala, unforuntately making it almost unusable for me considering I have no keyboard or mouse in the cab.

I use the focus logger and it reports that it's attempting to set focus to mala then fails.  So it's of no use either.  Mala is loaded as a shell instead of explorer so I really don't understand what is causing it to lose focus.  It always occurs when loading a MAME rom that doesn't work, i.e. one that needs a CHD that you don't have.

Very frustrating because I really like the FE, and I really don't have any other alternatives since they're all too slow/abandonware (Maximus) or don't work with hacked ATI drivers (Hyperspin).

Help!!!

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
I have the same problem with focus logger.  Every time I exit any game it logs "--Failed to set focus to MaLa." but often it does keep or regain focus.  There is nothing that differentiates a logged focus loss from a true loss, so I haven't been posting logs.  I've got a few hours tomorrow to try different stuff and mess with it, hopefully I can find some cause/effect. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Ok, I think I'm fixed:

Went into msconfig and -
-Disabled cftmon
-Disabled two or three processes associated with the Nvidia card.  it is a new card but older generation chip (circa 2007) and I had all the latest drivers, etc.  One was I think the Nvidia version of ATI Catalyst control panel.

from the desktop -
-turned off auto hide task bar.

everything runs fine and I get a sound more quickly after game exit to mala.  I went back in and enabled auto hide task bar with no issue.  Haven't tried turning on the nvidia stuff individually to see which one it is.  Will report back if I see another LOF  Hopefully this is my last post in this thread.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2020, 01:50:01 pm
    • My DK Jr Project
I have loss of focus when trying to resume from the screensaver. I am using the videos screensaver. Mala version 1.74. MAME version 0.142u3. Windows XP

Xatinni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2017, 05:01:25 pm
Had the same issue on boot, drove me insane  :angry:

Thanks to this thread and MaLa Focus Logger 1.0 by TheShanMan, resolved  ;D

MaLaFocusLogger started.
(error) (process: floater.exe)
MaLaFocusLogger ended.

googled floater.exe and then uninstalled HP Display Assistant Utility.

Excellent...thanks all - special thanks to TheShanMan.. :applaud:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:55:53 am by Xatinni »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Had the same issue on boot, drove me insane  :angry:

Thanks to this thread and MaLa Focus Logger 1.0 by TheShanMan, resolved  ;D

MaLaFocusLogger started.
(error) (process: floater.exe)
MaLaFocusLogger ended.

googled floater.exe and then uninstalled HP Display Assistant Utility.

Excellent...thanks all - special thanks to TheShanMan.. :applaud:

Yes ut is a good util.

In theory I could add this reporting into MaLa itself but why fix something that isn't broke ?  (reporting focus theft that is)

The problem is I can't find a reliable way to force focus back to mala that works on Windows 2000 trough to Windows 7    :(

We prey one day it won't be required.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
Always glad to hear when it helps someone!

Do other front ends suffer from this problem? If not, have you talked to other FE developers to find out what they might be doing differently, loadman?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Always glad to hear when it helps someone!

Do other front ends suffer from this problem? If not, have you talked to other FE developers to find out what they might be doing differently, loadman?

None use Delphi  ???

I can find Delphi code to detect Focus loss/change but none that forces focus back from Vista versions upwards . The call just make mala flash in the taskbar (if enabled)

Have a look at this posting please  ;) In particular:
If the application is currently in the foreground, this API still behaves as it always did.  Then one could bring any window to the front--both those belonging to one's own application and those of other applications.  However, if one's app doesn't hold the foreground [which is our case] newer versions of Windows simply call FlashWindow() to achieve the flashing effect.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76882.msg1192088#msg1192088

Any Ideas  :'(
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:57:53 am by loadman »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Later...

I made a test tool  ;D    Seems to work.

But I need people to test on there system using the following tool and publish results. before I put the code fix this foxus issue into MaLa.

Thanks in advance  :cheers:

What to do to help with this test

1) Download the tool.
2) Run the tool and click on the bottom, then within 4 sec click on another window.
It can be any window on you desktop. EG Notepad, Word, whatever, just click on another window so the tool loses focus.
3) Post Results.
3A) What OS are you using?
3B) Did it work. If it worked you should be able to just hit 'return' without clicking on the screen to start enable the button and start the countdown again.
3C) If it did what method reported by the tool was the successful method.

www.malafe.net/files/download/FocusTester.zip

The quicker I get test results, the quicker I can add to MaLa.  Thanks  ;D

Ha Ha I ust noticed I spelt Delphi .. Deplhi ... :dizzy:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:15:58 pm by loadman »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
Windows XP 64 bit (this is not my cabinet btw).

First attempt was clicking on WinZip, and it succeeded using method #2. Every other attempt (6 or 7) succeeded using method #1.

Hope this ultimately gets solved once and for all! Glad you got some inspiration!

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
Thanks for testing.

I updated the tester a little bit just now..  Just better messages

I NEED TESTERS PLEASE
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:22:05 pm by loadman »

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Re: "loss of focus" problem. *Testers Wanted* for possible permanent fix
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2011, 12:55:33 am »
Worked 8 times out 8 with method #1!

Windows XP Professional, 32-bit.

-Jason

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2011, 02:17:12 am »
Worked 6 out of 6 times using method number 1.   Windows 7 64 bit.  ;D

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2011, 03:37:37 am »
Cool, Are any of you finding that if the window is on top (or at least overlapping) the tester will often fail using Method#1? Not that the method is critical I am just trying to work out the pattern as to when certain pattern fail......  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:41:21 am by loadman »

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2020, 05:22:19 am
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2011, 06:16:22 am »
My test on win xp 32 bit

* Button Hit **
* Please click another window before time runs out.
No longer in focus.
Attempting to force focus back using "SetForegroundWindow" : Delphi Focus Tester
Now back in focus. Using Method #1. :-)
* Button Hit **
No longer in focus.
Attempting to force focus back using "SetForegroundWindow" : Delphi Focus Tester
* Button Hit **
No longer in focus.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2011, 08:01:16 am »
Ran it 8 times with alot of overlap.  The first time used Irfanview went to method 2 to correct.   After that all programs used method 1 even Irfanview when run again.   Win 7 64bit

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:51 am »
Cool, Are any of you finding that if the window is on top (or at least overlapping) the tester will often fail using Method#1? Not that the method is critical I am just trying to work out the pattern as to when certain pattern fail......  ;D

My "other" programs were Windows Explorer & Notepad.

In all my tests, the other programs were partially or completely covering your test program.  In some tests, I clicked on 2 other windows in the 4 seconds before focus was restored to the test program.  In some tests, I clicked on 1 other program twice & focus was still restored properly.

Thanks,
-Jason

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:04 am »
Ok Guys....

I am putting this code into MaLa now.

I will add logging to show what is stealing focus to reduce the need for a Plugin or other tool

I just need to decide where to put the CheckFocus call.

So reading back through this whole thread again, these are the sections I was thinking of adding the Check/Force to start with

1) On MaLa Start (Straight to Menu) *
2) On MaLa Start with start-up Game x
3) On MaLa Start with Start-up Video *
4) On MaLa Start With Start-up Video And Game x
5) After Game Quit *
6) After MaLa Screen Saver Finish - Pictures *
7) After MaLa Screen Saver Finish - Video *
Possibly: (it may break things)
8) After a Video Plays once ?

Anywhere else?

It will need to be tested to make sure I have not broken something else. (Like focus from a game) So it make take a few attemts to get the calls in the right place but I'm sure you all will help testing right ???   ;D

Anyway I will get a new beta version out tomorrow  :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:34:35 am by loadman »

empardopo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2024, 03:51:44 pm
    • My personal forum
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:03 am »
Loadman,

perhaps it might be interesting to set a button to bring the focus MALA.

Greetings!

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:29 pm »
Loadman,

Greetings!

??? Please explain what you mean. Do you mean configurable options ?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:10 am »
New Beta ready for focus testing 1.745

PaTrYcK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2020, 05:22:19 am
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2011, 08:27:52 am »
New Beta ready for focus testing 1.745

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2011, 03:17:47 am »
Loadman,

Greetings!

??? Please explain what you mean. Do you mean configurable options ?

I think what he means is being able to configure a key to tell mala to take focus back. I think this could be helpful for any cases which aren't covered by your automatic focus grabbing (i.e. something you might have missed). Incidentally, occasionally on bootup my system doesn't give mala focus (I think it happens if my son happens to be pushing buttons before the system is fully booted). I'm hopeful that your new changes will eliminate that, but if not, that's where a special shifted key to tell mala to grab focus could be helpful. :)

Nice work loadman! :cheers:

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2011, 05:34:42 am »

I think what he means is being able to configure a key to tell mala to take focus back. I think this could be helpful for any cases which aren't covered by your automatic focus grabbing (i.e. something you might have missed). Incidentally, occasionally on bootup my system doesn't give mala focus (I think it happens if my son happens to be pushing buttons before the system is fully booted). I'm hopeful that your new changes will eliminate that, but if not, that's where a special shifted key to tell mala to grab focus could be helpful. :)

Nice work loadman! :cheers:
[/quote]

That is what I don't understand. If MaLa does not have focus the Key won't respond to set focus ???

Has anyone tested yet.    :-\I find it hard to believe I got it 100% perfect the first time  :laugh2:

Thanks in advance

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:40 am »
Oh, yes. Good point. :lol

muggsy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2023, 01:09:12 am
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »
I get an error when trying to use the config mame button in the latest Beta (1.7.4.5), but no issue with focus yet

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:28 am »
I get an error when trying to use the config mame button in the latest Beta (1.7.4.5), but no issue with focus yet

Thanks I will fix that......

Thanks for testing

kagaden

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »
Hi Loadman!

I haven't had focus issues in a long time! I fixed it by upgrading to the latest version (which is probably old now lol), but it works and I'm happy :)

Thank you so much for all your effort on the development of Mala!

-K

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2011, 08:39:34 pm »
Thanks I will fix that......
Thanks for testing

Still fixing that.. more work than I thought  :banghead:

Are there any users out there taht have been using the latest beta that had focus issues prior to that release?
ie Have I any conformation from you testers out there of real case fixes in all / some scenario's?
Ideally I want this to be a fix that means you don't have to use the FocusLogger program anymore....
Feedback appreciated.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »
Getting loss of focus very reliably here, sometimes on every game quit.

The culprit seems to be something called "GDI+ Window" which seems to only exist in task manager - no visable window.

This is a very lean install of windows and the pc only runs mame (groovymame x64 v1.43)

XP X64
Mala 1.7.4.5
MalaFocusLogger

*********** LOG ***********

MaLaFocusLogger started.

Program Manager (process: (error))

MAME: Galaga (Namco rev. B) [galaga] (process: (error))

(error) (process: (error))

Starting (process: MaLa.exe)

GDI+ Window (process: MaLa.exe)

MaLaFocusLogger ended.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2011, 01:24:53 am »
Getting loss of focus very reliably here, sometimes on every game quit.

The culprit seems to be something called "GDI+ Window" which seems to only exist in task manager - no visable window.

This is a very lean install of windows and the pc only runs mame (groovymame x64 v1.43)

XP X64
Mala 1.7.4.5
MalaFocusLogger

Thanks for that....

Is it possible for you to set 'MaLa' logs (as apposed to the Plug-in logs) to DeBug and send those too when it fails please  ;D

We must be able to solve this

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:09 am »
Sure, here it is.

http://hotfile.com/dl/124486221/02a8e0a/Mala-log.log.html

and new log from focuslogger:

MaLaFocusLogger started.

MaLaFocusLogger ended.

MaLaFocusLogger started.

About (process: MaLa.exe)

MaLaFocusLogger ended.

MaLaFocusLogger started.

Selected Game Metadata (process: MaLa.exe)

MaLaFocusLogger ended.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:24:21 pm by jimmy2x2x »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2011, 03:07:01 am »
** Interesting.

Can you try the latest beta 'without' the plugin running please, there may be a confliction there

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »
Was there ever a solution to this?

I have MAME 0.95 and I don't have this issue, but when I installed the latest MAME I got it.

If this is a MAME thing, what's the latest version of MAME we can run without having this problem?

ragnar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:00 am »
I used to have probelsm like this and the one thing I noticed is that my anit virus program (anti-vir) would pop up a dialog.  But it would be behind mala's full screen gui.  So, the fix would be to alt-tab to the Anti-Vir dialog and alt-tab to Mala.  Then mala worked.

I wonder if taskbar notifications would also cause this.  I think that those notifcations can be disabled.

MY FIRST BUILD:

ragnar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
Re: "loss of focus" problem. Some solutions (rather than just click with mouse)
« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2011, 11:47:37 am »
This weekend I updated my MAME to 141 and I started having this same issue.

I've got an XP and I'm running Mala 171.

The only non game on this computer is AVG. The cabinet's computer is for gaming only and it's offline. I tried to disable AVG, but I was still losing focus when quitting a game.  I noticed that even though AVG was turned off I could still see it in the taskbar so I uninstalled it completely.

Now everything (except AVG) works.

I'll have to be extra careful about installing and copying files onto this computer but this allows Mala to keep the focus and I've freed up a bit more of the processor from AVG.

My post that should be right above this is the exact program that I was having issues with.  Loadman, install AVG (it's free) and see if you have these issues.

EDIT: Finished reading the whole thread.  Loadman.  Thanks for all the work you have done.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:58:57 am by ragnar »
MY FIRST BUILD:

NelsonPJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2020, 06:50:27 am
« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2011, 10:59:29 am »
By the way - I haven't had any "loss of focus" issues running 1.745 for the past week or two.  I used to get them fairly often with an older Mala version (1.62g I think - then also the base 1.74 earlier this year). 

I also used to have "scrunched up" layouts returning from Virtual Pinball- but I've found that "Reorder Layout after game quit" seems to have fixed that issue.  I'm not sure when that option was added - it definitely seems to have fixed my problem.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:04 pm »
Don't forget to get rid of the cftmon process.  That knocked it out for me.  It's buried in the thread but check for it.  Worth a try. 

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2011, 01:07:36 pm »
I didn't realize there was a newer release of MaLa.

I haven't had time to actually play with the cabinet (I never do), but after I installed it I was able to open and close a few games without any problems. Although I wasn't having any issues when I first uninstalled AVG either.

I've got an old XP computer, so I'm just going to leave everything as is. I was getting ambitious because I wanted to play more light gun games, but I'll be better off playing the games I have now smoothly than playing more games poorly. It would also be huge pain to update all the emulators and files just for a few new (to my cabinet) games.

Thanks loadman for staying on top of this. Mala is the best.

I'll look forward to what advances you'll have programmed when I eventually upgrade the computer and OS.

Catastrophic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 10:25:03 am
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »
I've been experiencing the loss of focus problem on the very latest version of Mala.  

After looking at the focus plugin log,  I kept seeing frmBlend and learned that it had to do with the fade settings in GUI>Display>Fades tab.  I went in and set them all to NONE and presto, no more losing focus.  

I even have cabvol running underneath, which was a notorious focus stealer, and seem to have eliminated the problem.  

Just an FYI, give it a shot!

UPDATE:  Well, scratch that... after a reboot the focus problem still exists.  However when I shut down down cabvol and restart then the focus problem disappears...  :-\
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:46:06 pm by Catastrophic »

mazinger-z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2016, 12:50:47 pm
« Reply #186 on: February 29, 2012, 10:34:17 pm »
I had nasty focus problems on game exit on my 2 PC's. I installed the new beta and they have disappeared (at least the initial tests tell me so).
I'd like to point out that MaLa never stops responding to joystick events (directions / buttons), so maybe you could add the option to configure a button for focus recovery.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:48 am »
that's an idea but I would never do it, what a confusing thing for casual users - "oh yeah, if the things not working, push this button"  :)

If your switch to 1.745 doesn't fully take care of it post back and we'll get you going hopefully without an extra admin button.

Interesting you mentioned the joystick inputs working even when mala doesn't have focus - I had that problem and had to disable joystick input into mala to work around it.  With help from the board, I set up an AHK script that translates Joystick axes to keystrokes so my joystick could still be used for mala navigation. 

mazinger-z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2016, 12:50:47 pm
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »
that's an idea but I would never do it, what a confusing thing for casual users - "oh yeah, if the things not working, push this button"  :)
Uhm, this makes sense. So... how about creating an option to tie the focus function to any joystick event?  :afro:

Interesting you mentioned the joystick inputs working even when mala doesn't have focus - I had that problem and had to disable joystick input into mala to work around it.  With help from the board, I set up an AHK script that translates Joystick axes to keystrokes so my joystick could still be used for mala navigation. 
I have a feeling that this focus stuff is giving the author some nasty headaches.  :dizzy:
Anyway I didn't have a problem since I downloaded the latest beta. XP SP3 here, on 2 different machines.

Jonny G

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 05:59:46 pm
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »
Damn, thought I'd fixed it with an install of the new Beta but I get an error upon trying to open the mame config menu. Back to 174 i go.

Im pretty sure its to do with having the dos window set to hidden.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »
I used MALA 174 for a few months with no focus problem. I recently installed hyperspin and set it up as another emulator under MALA. Now I have the focus problem. I know it is the focus problem because MALA does not accept keyboard commands until I either rightclick or leftclick or press alt-tab on the keyboard. I'm posting this because I believe it has something to do with installing the additional emulator. Perhaps this is just a coincidence. I uninstalled the hyperspin "emulator" and the problem is still there.

For me, the loss of focus only occurs on game exit under MAME. Please accept my datapoint as contribution and not a complaint.

ETA: It seems as though shutting of the ctfmon.exe process on startup may have fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:02:04 pm by MTPPC »
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

mattr69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2020, 05:24:01 pm
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2012, 06:34:23 pm »
I'm running MaLa 1.74 on WinXP. Turning off background music fixed the problem for me.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
Loss of focus reared its ugly head again today. I suspect its a windows process jumping in the cue and changing the application index. But that is wild speculation. My setup works great on a machine that doesn't have a bunch of other stuff on it, but for the main street fighter style arcade, it's been giving me headaches only since I threw a loaded hyperspin configuration into the mix. Since I managed to get a good MAME favorites list, I'll just have the machine boot to hyperspin. I'm super impressed with mala and will leave it on my Ms. Pac-MAME. That machine is done so I don't expect to make any changes and expect Mala FE to continue to work flawlessly. Thanks to those who put in time to develop and improve it.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2012, 08:17:49 pm »
Well, I experienced this problem suddenly today whilst trying to configure my Arcade Classics bartop. I don't know if it will help anyone but one of the changes I had made was under the MAME Basics tab I changed the DOS window state to Hidden. Now I did make other changes as well and I can't remember what else I changed. The loss of focus issue started after I made these changes. Luckily I had just made a backup of my MALA settings before I got my fat fingers in there. When I restored the settings from my backup MALA stopped losing focus! I hope this helps someone.

plex4r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2013, 04:15:35 pm
  • Galactic Orbital Robot Force!
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2013, 06:09:28 pm »
I had this problem.  The fix for me was switching "Dos Window State" from hidden to minimized.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2013, 12:39:21 am »
Fixed my problem the same way. Thanks for helping me figure this out, Vidiot and plex4r.

coggia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2013, 06:24:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2013, 05:24:52 am »
the minimized option solved the problem for me too.

I'm using the lastest version of Mala on a windowsXP 32b,
It's a cab that I'm working on, so I got the strict minimum installed on my windows
 and without any sound or video playing in the FE.
Even with the mala Focus plugin, I often loosed focus when I quit games.
With the minimized option checked instead of the hide, it's all good :)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2013, 09:00:37 pm »
My system has been working fine, I've had the focus logger installed from day one.
Recently changed a wire for my keyboard encoder (which in retrospect might not have even been an issue, could have been a focus issue!) and now I constantly lose focus. Even upon start up my controls are inoperable. I need to click on my mouse and goto plugins, each and every time I need to select the focus logger.
Sometimes upon exit from game it will work, other times it won't.

Real PITA as this was working flawlessly for along ass time and now just started to give me issues.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2013, 09:38:33 pm »
Could not resist so I ran downstairs to try this out, changed the state from hidden to minimized and it seems to have done the trick.
I'll test more tomorrow, play for a bit, do a few restarts, but early tests confirm this works.

Thanks

nussmier

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2018, 08:03:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2013, 10:50:03 am »
I ran across this thread and I can confirm what Mike boss said.  If inside Mala I select Dos Window State equal to hidden I get the loss of focus issue when exiting a game.  If I put the Dos Window State to Minimized I do not get any loss of focus issue.

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #200 on: March 19, 2013, 10:56:34 am »
I'm glad this seems to have helped some people. I wish I would have done some experimenting myself before restoring backup settings but I got too hasty. Anyway, I think it's safe to say changing the DOS window state to "minimized" should correct this problem for those people who are having the issue. Hopefully people will continue to post success stories here. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:58:31 am by Vidiot »

raungst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2016, 03:05:40 pm
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2013, 12:44:43 am »
I'm not sure if I have the same problem as everyone else, but its definitely a focus problem related to MaLa. When I start up Mala (shelled), my CP doesn't respond. If I login via remote desktop (I don't have any other keyboard attached), and press a button, my CP will suddenly work. Sometimes, if I escape out of my start up video, the CP will work as well. But if I let the video go all the way through, it won't work anymore.

I recently did some updates to my roms, and briefly flirted with Hyperspin, but I don't think I did anything else to Mala. Someone else mentioned issues after messing around with Hyperspin, but I still think its just a coincidence.

Anyway, I can't get to the 1.4.5 beta because the website is down, but is this a similar issue to others? Will the beta address these issues? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »
FYI, I have MaLa's DOS Windows state set to "hidden", unlike the "minimized" selection that seems to be working great for other people.

I haven't had a MaLa loss of focus in ages.

Thanks,
-Jason