Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nights Journey of Dreams Impressions  (Read 1030 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Nights Journey of Dreams Impressions
« on: January 14, 2008, 06:55:37 pm »
Ugh!  That's pretty much all I have to post to be honest.  UGH!  Nights was one of those fanboy things that everybody was drooling over so I put it on my wish list.  Unfortunately it came out quite late in decemenber so, late that the reviews (of how bad it was) didn't come in until after xmas and it was too late to warn my relatives.  Every single solitary thing about this game sucks so far.  I say so far because I've only gotten to level 2, not because of difficulty, but sheer lack of interest.  To stress just how badly this game sucks I'm gong to go over various qualities about the game. 

Graphics:

You are first treated to a cut-scene in typical sega fashion and you think "wow this game is gonna be bad-ass!" Well hold on to that feeling as long as you can, because it'll be the last time.  As soon as the beautiful cut-scene is over, you are tortured with a live action cut-scene.  It is at this point that you wonder if you disc is damaged.  Yes, it's THAT bad.  The only game in the history of modern gaming with cut-scenes this bad would have to be mk shaolin monks.  If you aren't familiar with that game then just google it sometime to see the horror of the cut-scenes.  Sadly the actual game's graphics aren't that much better.  The problem seems to be the lack of shadows.  There isn't any shading at all on the game, making it look like models loaded in an editor rather than a finished game.  Aside from a higher resolution, the graphics in the original saturn version are probably better. 

Story/ Voice Acting/ Ect:

It's all horrible.  The plot is basically peter pan with some mystic do-dads threw in.  Nights is now a man with a girl's voice (like peter pan).  The childern are annoying, as most children are.  The icing on the suck cake though is this stupid owl. He's the most poorly rendered, poorly animated, poorly designed owl in the history of owls.  He also says "hoo hoo" at the end of every sentence.  Also there's this stupid plot point about the children and nights merging (ewwe) so that nights has more power.  This doesn't make any sense as nights is prefectly capable of flying around by himself, which is the extent of any power needed to play the game. 

Controls:

More suckage.  You'd think that a wii title involving flying would be pure gold right?  Wrong!  The wiimote only version of the controls equates to trying to play a 360 game by rubbing your butt against the control stick.  It is completely unplayable, forcing you to plug in a nunchuck and use the analog stick, which pretty much defeats the purpose of it being released on the wii.  On top of that, you can only contorl nights on a 2d level, even though the stages a full-on 3d and the camera moves in 3d.  Also because you are flying there aren't any visible barriers.  Couple this with the camera panning and you are completely confused as to how to control your character.  There are also levels in which you control the kids, but they are tacked on, don't involve any goals and are essentially useless.    Fighting inolves running smack dab into your enemy and pressing a.  Yup that's pretty much it.  There are a few other moves you can pull off, but you'll find them useless and unnecessary. 

Level Design:

Now keep in mind I can't fully comment on this as I'm not very far, but.... Remember pilot wings?  Well that's pretty much what the game looks like only there is some land under the skyline.  Yeah, even the level design is pretty bland.  Also I *think* they actually stole textures and set pieces  from sonic and the secret rings.  Of course without any real shading and bad blending effects they look a ton crappier, but they still look familiar to me. 

That's all I care to write about this on because it's so bad.  Don't buy it.  Even if you were a fan of the original don't buy it.  It's crap people.  Crap!

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
Re: Nights Journey of Dreams Impressions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:31:04 pm »
sega sucks at making wii games...

sonic zero gravity sucks too...BAD ! :angry:

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
Sonofabitch. I just convinced my GF to buy this game for my birthday last weekend. Fortunately, I haven't had a chance to open it.

Is it really as a bad as you describe? Is there no saving grace for a game that pretty much turned this game into a cult favorite with the Saturn version?

I can deal with sucky games, if I pay for them. I don't feel so bad returning or selling it off or just putting it away and earmarking it as "part of my collection" never to be played again. But when someone else pays for it then they actually expect me to play it... oft times in front of them.  Then I feel really bad they blew $40 on a suck title. :banghead:

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:59:49 pm »
Sonofabitch. I just convinced my GF to buy this game for my birthday last weekend. Fortunately, I haven't had a chance to open it.

Is it really as a bad as you describe? Is there no saving grace for a game that pretty much turned this game into a cult favorite with the Saturn version?

I can deal with sucky games, if I pay for them. I don't feel so bad returning or selling it off or just putting it away and earmarking it as "part of my collection" never to be played again. But when someone else pays for it then they actually expect me to play it... oft times in front of them.  Then I feel really bad they blew $40 on a suck title. :banghead:
The reviews of the game mostly say its average at best (current ranking is 71% on gamerankings.com).  I haven't seen any reviews that seem to hate it as much as Howard, and since he hasn't played the game much I would definately take his review with a grain of salt.  Everyone does seem to hate the wiimote only controls though.

I do like the first sentence of the gamespy review though:
"NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams is a game that will simultaneously captivate children, mildly annoy adults, and bring back fond memories of the system that could have been."

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:41:04 pm »
I wouldn't take my review with a grain of salt.  I'm 28, I've been playing games non-stop since I was 5.  While I might not always agree with the masses when games are great (they are often over-hyped and only seem great to those who've never experinced the classics) I know a stinker when I see one.  Horrible cut-scenes and story aside (I overlooekd that stuff in shaolin monks and actually found a really enjoyable game underneath.) It's the gameplay and poor level design that really ruins this game. 

Maybe I should give an example.......

Ok it's the first stage and you are chasing this bird (for no apparent reason, but I'll ignore that).  You fly under some do-dad that is hovering and teathered to the ground by four cables.  Now there is PLENTY of room to fly around the cables as it's an open-air stage but as I pointed out in the review, you actually fly in 2d, NOT 3d so you fly directly into the cable!  The cable stops you a you can't go forward... the solution is to "fly back" which makes you bounce off the cable in the opposite direction, bounce off the cable on the other side and finally fly forward.  Now keep in mind you are supposed to be cahsing a bad guy this whole time and while you are pulling off silly acrobatics he's getting away!  Now of course this is just one minor annoyance, but the problem with the game is it consists of a ton of minor annoyances with a small thread of mediocare gameplay being it's only good point. 

So if you are willing to fight through a bunch of crap to get to merely average at best gameplay then knock yourself out... otherwise if you haven't opened that game yet I'd suggest you take it back immediately!  You can look at my past posts or ask anyone who knows me... it's quite rare that I hate a game at such a degree that I find it unplayable, so when I say don't buy something you better put money on it!