Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ShellShock, a game being developed for BYOAC  (Read 31541 times)

Pongo

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2015, 10:19:54 am
ShellShock, a game being developed for BYOAC
« on: January 13, 2008, 02:48:41 pm »
Latest version will always be available from this first post.

New Version available 2.1.08
- 4 players
- basic AI
- sounds

http://arcadecontrols.com/files/Games/ShellShock.002C.zip

Original post below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure where I should put this, so I'm putting it in here.

I'm looking to start a new programming project, and I thought I'd open it up here for discussion. The end goal is to make a new game that is playable on our cabinets. This will be available to everyone here for free.

What I need, however, are some ideas. It should be a simple arcade-style game, and graphics will match.

I have a few ideas already, but I'd like to hear what some of you might be interested in. Since it will be designed around a cabinet, feel free to use dual joysticks, spinner,trackball,...etc.

Thanks,

more to come.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:41:40 pm by Pongo »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Anyone interested in making a new BYOAC exclusive game?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:53:28 pm »
Are you looking for help making the game or just ideas on what to make?

I'm currently working on a little game that is basically a clone of Desktop Tower Defense just because I haven't done any programming in a while and wanted to brush up on my skills and make a fun little game.  It's still a long ways from being finished though.

If you want some help programming the game, I'll gladly put my project off to the side and team up with you to make something new.  If you just want some ideas, then I'm sure with everyones help here we can come up with something pretty good.

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 05:42:40 pm »
Let me clarify a bit...

I'm a graphic artist and also a programmer, so I have those parts down. Also, I can also generate pretty much any sound effect I need, so the only area I may need help with is music if any is used.

What I am looking for are some ideas primarily, and I thought it might be fun to have the whole process out in the open where input could be given from the start, specifically from people that play a lot of arcade games. It would be an opportunity for someone that has thought,..."I wish that they would have made a game that __________" and actually see it become a reality.

I'm open to help on the project, but at the moment I'm only looking for input at the ideas phase.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:01:38 pm »
Fair enough.

I'm not sure what your using to make it, but I'm making my latest game with Microsofts recently released Dark GDK which is a free addon to Visual Studio Express 2008.  I was surprised at how simple they made several commonly used 2D and 3D operations and so far I really like it.  It reminds me a lot of a much more powerful version of GLUT, except for course for being DirectX and not OpenGL.  Just thought I'd give you a heads up if you haven't taken a look at it yet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:13:47 pm by AtomSmasher »

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:05:25 pm »
here are some pictures to hopefully get the ball rolling.

These are some frames of a character I designed. The gameplay concept was similar to marble madness, and you would have to unicycle your way through the levels. I wanted to incorporate keeping your balance into the gameplay. I also tried this in full 3d, but ended up shelving it after early gameplay tests.

This is a screenshot of a Geometry Wars style game. This is mostly complete, but I stopped working on it due to the large number of GW clones being made.

These are not really arcade style, but I've wanted to do an "updated" version of combat.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:59 am »
I really, really like that Combat concept, especially the visuals.  I've thought a bit about one of those myself... one where the bullets are actually persistent objects... once they run their momentum out, they just sit like landmines, and if you roll over one you blow up.  To keep the playfield from becoming too cluttered to move I'd limit the amount of shots a player can take in any given duration... maybe 1 shot every 10-15 seconds.  It would give each board a nice finite feel to it and would make a nice game for up to 4 players.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:02:31 am by ChadTower »

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 09:08:32 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 09:11:33 am »
Xiaou2 had a game he was trying to develop some time ago that looked fun as well. When I get home I'll try to dig up the link to see if that's still something to consider. I also really like the combat thing, and Chad's ideas there also. Sweet! Let me know if you need web space or such.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

zaphod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2012, 11:11:38 am
    • ArcadeCab.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:24:10 am »
Love the Combat shots!  One of my favorite 2600 carts.

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:17:04 pm »
Remember scorched earth?  I'd like a clone of that, but something we can network and play.  3d is nice, but 2d was where it was at!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »
OMG you MUST finish that combat game.  I love the style too.  To make it even better, you could incorporate some elements from Scorched Earth and allow the player to angle the turret to shoot over the walls (you have to calculate the angle, have wind speeds, etc).  Also pickups and some special abilities.  Maybe even buildings that when shot would collapse and damage any tanks nearby!

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 05:01:24 pm »
If you are not going to contribute, could you at least refrain from posting random images in this thread?

Thanks.

I guess I'll start working on the tanks... Any opinions on the controls? Dual stick would be cool, but probably not the best since this should be playable for 2 players on CP's with only 2 sticks.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 05:24:01 pm »
For arcade control compatibility, I'd go with a single standard 8 way for tank movement, a fire button, and if you chose to explore the turret angle suggestion, two addition buttons to raise and lower the turret.  Perhaps a 4th button to use your special ability/pickup.  :cheers:
What kind of hardware would be required for gameplay to look like that bottom picture?  Looks like a lot.  For some reason, I LOVE the black and white look of it.  Maybe you could have a BW/Color toggle in the options as homage to the 2600?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:25:35 pm by ahofle »

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:29 pm »
Hey,... no problems here,... I was just trying to minimize the roadkill references before this thing even got off the ground! :)

Looks like I'll be starting over on the tanks. I can't seem to find the files at the moment, and it's been a few years since I made those. Maybe it is on my laptop (I'll check that later tonight)

First thing to do is getting the tank controls working. I'll go for single stick controls where left/right will turn you, and forward/back will move you ... erm... forward and back.

feel free to post suggestions, and I will hope to have a moving test up this week.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 07:46:41 pm »
I figured he was just doubting you to give you extra motivation to prove him wrong.  ;D

tommy

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 07:47:45 pm »
Make a game where you pick a name from most byoac names as your player, then you try to fend off attacks of other members in the PnR section and try to survive without getting banned.  :laugh2:

Sorry you have said too much, you're banned, game over!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:50:48 pm by tommy »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 08:55:24 pm »
I look forward to playing "Tommy vs PBJ" v0.1 in the near future.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »
I'm familiar with the marble insanity project. I spoke with Mark a few years ago about it. At the time I was looking for someone to help with programming one of my own projects and did not want to jump into the middle of someone else's work.

Anyways,... completely understand about the finished projects thing. (Yes, I do have a number of "unfinished" projects sitting on my hard drive.) That is part of why I am doing this here. Most of my previous programs have all been for myself only, so once I get them to a point I enjoy playing them, then there is not much need to go further. If I know that I am developing for (even just a few) people I'll have a bit more incentive to complete. The more feedback I can get, the better.

Now for a bit of an update: I found the old models on my laptop, but they needed a bit of work to get them ready for the game engine. Tonight I have started building the game engine a bit, and should have 2 tanks moving around soon.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 10:05:27 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 11:29:54 pm »
 Pongo,  well, I think the biggest problem with 3d tanks is that objects can get
in the way of your view...  and may be frustrating.   Also, I believe it limits the
playfield size possible.

I loved Combat tanks for the 2600.  However, the size of the field was too
small imop.   Also limits more than 2 players.

A also love Tron's Tank section,   Where the Turret is controlled via a spinner.

I may help with the design..  but if it goes on sale,  then I would expect some
compensation if my ideas were used.   Does this seem fair to you?

I want to add...  that I believe the game should be designed near fully first before
programming starts.   Otherwise you may have to scrap a huge load of code, or all
of it..   

Or another thing that happens... is that you realize mid-point that you want to do
something... and can not.   By that time, the game can not be reworked to accomplish
that new feature.    This has happened on MI, as well as some others.

Best to plan all details, control methods, and appearance mockups first.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 11:52:10 pm by Xiaou2 »

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 11:13:46 am »
Don't have any time at the moment to type anything out (at work) but I wanted to make one thing clear.

This game will never be sold. Ever. Freebie all the way.

The whole idea is to create a new fun and entertaining game that can run on our cabinets. I'd like to be able to get enough input to make it a worthwhile game to play.

I'll address the other points later today when I get a chance.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 01:14:26 pm »

Pongo, 

Maybe we could at least set up a Donation box.    The funds could go to any number of
things.   Part could be donated to the Mame PCB Preservation efforts.  Part could go to dev of
other future games.  Part could help keep my internet from being shut off  heh (sadly, no job yet)

Anyways, Ive been coming up with some great ideas that I believe you will like.
However, give me till the weekend to develop things fully.   The best ideas take time to
flesh and balance out.

Without giving anything much away yet..  I believe the game should remain top view.   

Instead of focusing on graphic details first...   We should make a game that has very simple graphics
such as vector,  and focus all efforts on perfecting gameplay.   

This is why the Older classics are still better than most anything new today.  They spent ton
of time tweaking the gamplay to perfection.  Graphics were not the main concern.   

However, after the gamplay is mastered.. one could later insert new graphics in place.  That will
be a choice later down the road.   Also, the simplicity will help keep the project moving fast.  Sometimes
too much effort is places on GFX, and when the workload is too great, the project stalls.  Other games
look great..  but the play is not really that fun..  so its has little to no value at all.

Overall, we should be able to complete the game in less time, with better results.

Anyways, I should have a great design fleshed out in a short time. 
If you like, start jotting down your ideas too.. and we can compare them
together Monday.

If you are unsure of the Top view  -vs- 3d..   at least give me time to make my points and
mockups.   Then BYOAC can vote on it if you like.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 05:08:36 pm »
Without giving anything much away yet..  I believe the game should remain top view.   

Ouch.  Those 3D images posted above sure look good.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 06:27:41 pm »
And if your still considering new ideas.

I started writing (didn't get all that far) MrDigDug (Mr driller using digdug graphics)

Any game using robotron type controls is always a favorite.

I think the arkanoid thing has been way over done personally... so I would stay away from that.

A defender style game would be GREAT if it used the original controls! 

I would think of the control panel you would want... and go in that direction.  Most people have dual 8way controls with 4-8 buttons... But there are TONs of games for them.  You might want to go with one that could use something a little less normal... 

Good luck

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 11:43:07 pm »
Whew,... what a day. Crazy busy at work, and then crazy at home too. Looks like I'll get some time to work on this after posting finally.

As of right now, the tank game is the one that will move forward. I've made a few major decisions already.

1. The game will be designed to run on a joystick and 2-3 buttons. This will make it available to a larger audience. I'd love to make it work with dual joysticks like battlezone, but that really limits what machines can play it, so no.

2. Initially, it will be a 2 player game. (It can be bumped up to 4 players later)

3.  The turret will not rotate. This is to keep the game simple, and also because of the limited controls used.

4. The game will be in 3D, but will be in a top-down view overlooking the entire arena. The viewpoint will be similar to the arena shot above, but a bit higher up. From this viewpoint, the walls will not get in the way. (they are quite short) This would be similar to driving RC vehicles around. There will be NO 1st person views.

Right now I have coded up some simple movement controls, and I'm trying to figure out what seems to work. Here are a few options for feedback.

1. Joystick Up/down = forward/back , Joystick left/right = turn , button 1 = fire , button 2=drop mine

2. Joystick Up/down = raise/lower turret , Joystick left/right = turn, button 1 = accelerate, button 2 = fire

3. Other,... Give me feedback.

The first method would keep the barrel locked into position. The shots could fire straight out, or at an elevated angle.
For both methods, perhaps by holding down the button you could get a longer/shorter shot.

The next thing to decide will be rate of fire. I don't want the player to be able to just keep mashing the button lobbing shot after shot in the air. I'm thinking either a timed limit on single shots, or perhaps a small burst (Maybe 3 in the air at any one time)

Playtesting may dictate how some of this works, but for now it is open.

Feedback welcome. I'll try to get the first test up as soon as possible, since that will show a lot more than I can type here.

Most likely, the first test will be 2 tanks driving around without any collisions or firing in place yet, and I hope to complete that phase in the next week.

-Troy

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 02:00:44 am »
 Update:

Well,  I just fired up the 2600 Emulator and played Combat.   Funny how memmories
get very fuzzy over time.   I realize Combat isnt very fun.. and that the only thing I
really enjoyed was the Fighter Plane section in that game.

Then I went to Mame to see the various Tank games.

None of the Tank games that used a Single joystick were any fun at all.  lol

The best Tank Games were all dual stick: 

Assault, Vindicators, Sarge, and Trons tank section.

- Assault is probably the best tank game ever made.  Its ability to both roll (press
both sticks left or right) ,  Fire into the sky (both stick opposite each other),  and the
rest are really innovative and help the game to play fast and smooth.   I LOVE the
scaling in this game when you hit the Jump Pads.   In the air, you can rotate and
drop bombs all over the area to clear its enemies before you trek out that way.

- Vindicators:  I Dont have the dual trigger stick up yet.  U used dual analog gamepad..
which worked 'ok'  but was a little hard cause it needed buttons too.   Was really
cool because of the amount of control you have over the tank.  The turrets moved
well with buttons.   The tank was fast and smooth.  Lots of interesting objectives, enemies,
and challenges.  Upgrades too.

- Sarge has nice controls and furious nonstop action.  Many attackers come at you all
at once.  You can pilot the tank and the helicopter.  Very interesting and fun.

The only game that came close was  Armor Attack.   You drove a JEEP however,  and
it drives at like Mach 1  :)  hehe    But its nothing like a typical tank game.

And Finally,  Tron:

Trons Tank section is pure fun.   Moves smoothly, and the Dial control for the Turret is
heavenly.   I think if dual trigger sticks are out... a Tron setup is next down the line. 

Only problem with Trons setup is that all the action is locked into 90 degree movement.  If
it were changed... Im not sure if it would be the same.    Even if Tron was fitted with the
basic 1joy control method in Combat... at least there would be good turret action to keep it
interesting.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:16:19 am by Xiaou2 »

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 05:25:54 am »
Games like combat on Atari 2600 are very funny when you play with 2 or more human player.

Alone or again a computer is less funny.

The 2600 version had lot variant , with bouncing bullet or not,  other where you was able to dribe the "bullet"..    invsible tank also i think.    You had bomber, fighter,   3 planes formations.. and you was able to mix for combat.

I love that game.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 06:59:22 am »
I started on a combat remake but eventually abandoned it.  The three things that I personally feel it needs to survive for a modern audience are intelligent computer ai  (not everybody is gonna want to play 2 player), online support (some people will want to play 2 player, only they won't have anyone handy to play with), and power-ups.  Also a level editor is pretty mandatory because no matter how talented you are with level design it's gonna get real old real quick.  It was for this reason that I decided to go 2d instead.  It's very hard to do 3d with level editing capabilites without it looking fairly patched together.  Anyway, I had a ton of ideas for powerups and what-not.  If you want I can dig up the thread.  For that matter you can search for yourself if you are in a hurry.  ;)

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 07:34:55 am »

These are not really arcade style, but I've wanted to do an "updated" version of combat.

I really like the look of this, perhaps this sort of look but with Tron tanks and recognizer, e.g. Space Paranoids.

A game I really liked was Platypus, I like how the graphics looks like Playdoh, perhaps somethin like this but up down scroller instead of left right.

http://www.retro64.com/platypus_game.asp

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 10:58:03 am »
Thanks for the comments.

Platypus is awesome. Anthony Flack (The programmer on that) has made a bunch of claymation style games, and they are always top row stuff.

One genre I'm going to stay away from is the vert/horizontal shooter. There are so many out there already I don't feel I can add anything to improve on.

What I'm looking to do is create a new game, not a remake. There will be inspiration drawn from other games, but the goal is to make a new experience, not a "classic experience" with better graphics. I really can't stand "modern" versions of classic games,... I'd rather play the originals in most cases.

Control method 1 has been coded in now, and it controls great on the keyboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't work nearly as well with a stick, and that is the end goal.I am avoiding spinners and dual sticks because I want this playable for two players, and I don't think there are many multiple spinner/dual stick machines.

Control method 2 will be in place soon, and I think it may work better.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 12:30:58 pm »
One suggestion to stop the fire button mashing is to have your turret overheat, similar to Astro Blaster.  A little temperature gauge or something that requires you to strategically manage your shots.

It sounds like you are considering the turret angle thing -- I really hope so as I think that will bring on a whole new dimension of play (accidentally shooting yourself trying to lob a shot almost straight up and over a barricade LOL).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:38:22 pm by ahofle »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 11:58:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 03:07:05 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

What I'm looking to do is create a new game, not a remake. There will be inspiration drawn from other games, but the goal is to make a new experience, not a "classic experience" with better graphics. I really can't stand "modern" versions of classic games,... I'd rather play the originals in most cases.

Well with all due respect, based on what you've said, you are making a remake.  Tanks shooting each other in a maze is combat, regardless of what you call it or what features you add.  The thread I was referring to added dozens of weapon types and gameplay differences but I still considered it a remake because... well it's two tanks shooting each other in a maze so how could you consider it anything other than a remake?

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:41:27 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 03:20:13 pm »
I'm really digging the look of the tank game, especially in the all white. I wonder if you could stick to a solid color theme so that the opponents could at least be different colors, but solid colored, and the maze would be another color. The simplicity is beautiful. I like the idea of a level editor and don't think it would be too hard in 3d if it was built into the system from the begining and limited the user to a flat field with straight-full-height walls of various sizes and shapes.

Do the tank tracks roll when they drive?

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 04:03:01 pm »
howardCasto: fair enough. It's the same as Geometry Wars Being called a remake of Robotron. There are going to be similarities, and inspiration has been drawn from the earlier games. I'm just saying that I won't be trying to replicate the gameplay of the original, but instead create a new experience.

Back on topic,... the tanks will be white and charcoal grey respectively. Color will be used sparingly, and the whole arena will have a clean white look to it. Exploded shells will leave marks on the floor making things a bit messy after a bit.

And yes, the tracks roll. I've already got that in place. (although I need to set up each side independently so they move when you turn also.) If things go really well tonight, I may even have a first look ready tomorrow, and I think that will show things a lot better than I can explain by typing.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 06:07:51 pm »

Too all :

Well to start out,  the screen shot isnt even what the game would look
like... because the edges are cropped off.  If your tank was in either
corner - you wouldnt see it.    Then,  if your launching projectiles upwards,
you will need to see a good deal above the field, so can see the full trajectory.
The screen will end up very small...  and very little playfield to mess with.

In many ways, it would be more fun to change the tanks to humans
with hand-grenades, because then there would be no restriction on movements,
and the gameplay would be much faster.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 06:14:03 pm »
Xiaou2,

On the surface, those programming challenges that you point out do not seem insurmountable.  It's his prerogative to try, correct?

JKD The Lad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2011, 07:12:51 pm
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:53 am »

If you want to make a truly original experience then you could always take advantage of a completely unexplored genera  :a horizontal platform shooter with 2 8-way sticks for controls!
having a dedicated 8-way joystick for fire would allow for a incredibly smooth and fluid gameplay!  ;D

1st stick:                 up-jump,
upleft-rolling jump                     upright-rolling jump
                   left-run                 right-run
      downleft-crawl                  downright-crawl 
                            down-duck   

2st stick:                 up-shoot,
         upleft-shoot                     upright-shoot
                left-shoot                 right-shoot
      downleft-shoot                  downright- 
                            down-shoot     

There would of course be power ups as well!
such as the classic spread shoot(shoot in 3 different directions)
and learned skills gained later in the game that specifically take advantage of the 2nd joystick such as:
boost shot!
which would after you jumped up and shot downward propel you in the air allowing you to hover over the ground and  allow you to rain death and destruction on those enemies too slow or unable to return fire!

The game would start with the basic controls and as you progressed you would permanently gain skills that at first would give you a great advantage but then later on balance out
examples:
blue spider mines- basically tiny land mines with legs that jump out of the background and charge at you. they are too short for you to hit when you aim horizontally, you can crouch and shoot or just shoot diagonally down to get them, if your fast enough. but they come so fast that you need cat like reflexes to get into position fast enough so  the best option is to jump upward and make a 130 degree sweep or a roll fire(explained below) downward as they run under you. After a level laced with these guys you get midway the boost shot that allows you to glide over the terrain taking them down. the level would then end with a boss fight that requires good use of the boost to defeat like a boss that diggs underground and attacks from beneath you only coming up to the surface after enough hits for you to pummel before he recovers and diggs underground again 

later on though you come across red spider mines. The players natural reaction would be to fly over and shoot them from above! which will get him killed! the red spiders have a shrapnel mine at the core and the explosion sends bits of metal into the air that kills any player dumb enough to try to shoot them from above!  :laugh2:
fortunately the red spiders are much slower than there blue counter parts and can be shoot from a distance by ducking.
the other skills you could have the player learn though out the levels would be
1st ability to run backwards(shoot left while running right) help when enemies come from all sides. This could end with a boss that chases you across the terrain
2nd  roll fire (while jumping diagonally your sprite shoots in all 8 directions at once) help against hover bots that circle you quickly 5 times and then come in for the kill, boss fight could involve  a large machine that fires homing rockets at you that can be deflected back at him with a properly aimed shot.
3rd boost shot, see above
4th JET PACK! changes the left movement joystick to control flying! as the last level at first you get to fly around and rain hell and destruction on all the old enemies. halfway though the level you run off the side of the earth and go into space and things start to look and control allot like robotron with except with space ships as enemys  ;D you eventually get to a big bad final boss that breaks apart as you attack it like the ones in smash Tv.
after that it breaks apart, happy ending music plays and credits come down.

If your interested in the Idea I could easy flesh it out and come up with more detailed boss fights , about 30 or more enemies, and much more like some sort of storyline to excite the player and other stuff.
Designing games comes easy to me and I was able to come up with this idea as I wrote it(30min)
now whether my Ideas are any good Is something I can't really know for sure.  :dunno
what do you guys think?
note all of the bosses mentioned could be beat with out using the 3 main learned skills.
I thought it would be cool to allow the player to jump over and play the game with out them. This could lead to alternative final boss fight(with out the booster) and a alternative ending as a reward.   
by the way, very cool artwork pongo!  :applaud: I'm not so sure how well they play But I must say they look fantastic!

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 09:06:58 am »
Any current game in arcade ideas.

1) has to have good controls.  Especially in defense or dodging.  I love assaults quick dodge.  You could go for a shield/block move also.

2) online would be awesume.  But dual players on your box is where most of the best moments on an arcade machine come from.

Tank game ideas.  To be a bit different?

1)  Controllable missiles (they have them don't they?).  After shooting a missile, you can switch to 3rd person view and target it in.  During this time, you cant move and will be a target.  I can see this working with good dodging mechanism (which is a bit better then the aim) so you take a shot, you see the oncoming missile in 3rd person view and have to decide if yours is going to hit first or not...  If you do this, a good title could be "Hit, Miss or suicide" where you might give up the missile and start running... or assume your both going to go. 

2) lob style distancing.  Hold down the buttom to say how far it will go.  First few levels, you see a shadow for the distance... after that, your own your own.  So you aim left, right... get on target...  Then get your timing for distance.  There is a few games taht do this (one for placing a tetris style game... can't remmeber the name).  Anyway, adds a bit of skill to it.

3) multiple ships... with different speed/armor ect.  Fast shooter?  slow super tank?

rovingmind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 12:43:54 pm »
Fair enough.

I'm not sure what your using to make it, but I'm making my latest game with Microsofts recently released Dark GDK which is a free addon to Visual Studio Express 2008.  I was surprised at how simple they made several commonly used 2D and 3D operations and so far I really like it.  It reminds me a lot of a much more powerful version of GLUT, except for course for being DirectX and not OpenGL.  Just thought I'd give you a heads up if you haven't taken a look at it yet.

Microsoft didnt release Dark GDK, They just bundled it with Visual Studio
The GameCreators released it.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 07:31:29 pm »
Fair enough.

Microsoft didnt release Dark GDK, They just bundled it with Visual Studio
The GameCreators released it.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/
True, although I'm sure Microsoft paid them a lot of money to create it and release it for free, especially since it was released pretty much the same time as VS 2008 and microsoft is marketing it to help push VS 2008  http://www.microsoft.com/express/samples/GameCreators/

Pongo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 07:50:45 pm »
First release is ready! This is really more of a compatibility test, but I want people to try it out.

Currently you can move the 2 tanks around see how the camera will work. The fire button will make the tank recoil, but no shells yet. Collisions are working with tank to wall, but not between the tanks. Lighting and texture work still needs to be done, so things will look much better when that is done.

You can change to your resolution at startup, and the controls are mapped to MAME defaults. See the readme for more info.

Get it here!
*removed*

edit: added a screenshot. I'd like to know how this plays on older hardware also. Framerate is capped at 60fps, and will play slow on older machines. 16 bit screenmodes may help performance, but may introduce graphical z-buffer issues.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:31:00 pm by Pongo »

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 08:28:27 pm »
Looks really good. It looks like collisions aren't between the whole tank and the wall. For instance I can run into a wall and the barrell from the tank can go into the wall but the collision isn't detected until the track of the rest of the tank hits the wall.