Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guitar Hero? --- Heck NO!!! --- Rock Band FTW!  (Read 25189 times)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Re: Guitar Hero? --- Heck NO!!! --- Rock Band FTW!
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2008, 11:07:27 pm »

I get booed off on Country Karaoke

If it's any consolation, I'd be booing you if you sounded just like the originals.  Hmm . . . especially if you sounded just like the originals. 
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

RecycledPast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2011, 09:14:47 pm
    • My 2 scratch built arcade machines
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:24 am »
My 2 cents...
I've owned GH1 & 2 for the PS2, GH3 for 360 and RB for 360.

Rockband blows GH out of the water, it improves upon just about everything.

* I like how the RB guitar has a little lip so when you slide your hand down to the orange button you know when to stop.
* There are tons of little differences that make RB better.  You could spend all day just designing your band logo or tattoos for you body. 
* I like that they put your band name all over the place,  on the side of a bus on the loading screen, and on the big screen behind you when your on stage. 
*You can get additional "star power" while your in the middle of using star power, in GH once you initiate star power all star power notes disappear.
* The "tour" theme gives you lots of mini goals instead of just one big one of finishing the game as in GH.
* The graphics look a lot better in RB then GH, I like how they freeze frame each band member with their name right before you play.
* I like how you can bring a failed member back from the dead with star power.

GH for the 360 has dropped the ball in DLC, RB has ripped my wallet open.

My wife got frustrated with GH but she loves singing when I play RB, which means I get to play a whole lot more since she gets to participate.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2008, 12:28:46 am »
* I like how the RB guitar has a little lip so when you slide your hand down to the orange button you know when to stop.
I just picked up Rock Band for the 360 and I haven't been able to play it yet since my 360 is still in the mail from the store, but I just had to say how much cooler the Rock Band guitar is over the guitars for the PS2 versions of Guitar Hero 1 & 2.  I'm in awe of how great it looks.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2008, 05:06:43 pm »
Mmmmm, I doubt it beats Samba d'Amigo. But then, I'm a percussionist/drummer :D

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2008, 07:13:22 pm »

Then I assure you it absolutely beats Samba d'Amigo.

You are aware that one of the biggest features of Rock Band is drumming right?

You only have 4 pads and a kick, but on expert you are hitting every beat of the actual songs, plus you can have 3 other people playing along side you on the bass, guitar and vocals.

I love the game single player, but multiplayer Rock Band is an ultimate gaming experience.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:59 pm »

Wow . . . that's just awesome.  Level42, this one somehow slipped past you.  Here's some pictures of the Rock Band accessories. The drums are played with standard, real drum sticks.  (Note . . . I've never played it.  The guys in the picture are members of a band called Cartel that I've never heard of, but must be big enough to be hanging out in MTV Studios).

Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:57 pm »
I just picked up Rock Band for the 360 and I haven't been able to play it yet since my 360 is still in the mail from the store, but I just had to say how much cooler the Rock Band guitar is over the guitars for the PS2 versions of Guitar Hero 1 & 2.  I'm in awe of how great it looks.

It definitely looks cooler but I prefer the feel and responsiveness of the GH3 axe.  I didn't particularly care for the sponginess of the strum bar and the "solo" frets seem to be useless if you have larger than average fingers.   If you've previously played Guitar Hero, you may be disappointed with the Rock Band guitar.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2008, 01:06:14 pm »
I find the Rock Band guitar to be superior in just about ever aspect compared to the GH3 guitar.  If the RB guitar were wireless, I doubt I'd have any complaints at all.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:31:11 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2008, 02:37:47 pm »
I like the RB guitar much better, too.

The only complaint I have about the RB guitar is that the back of the neck is squared off instead of rounded like the red PS2 guitar. This makes it less comfortable to play because the corner digs into my palm.
Old, but not obsolete.

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
Different strums for different chums...  ;)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2008, 05:49:45 pm »

Wow . . . that's just awesome.  Level42, this one somehow slipped past you.  Here's some pictures of the Rock Band accessories. The drums are played with standard, real drum sticks.  (Note . . . I've never played it.  The guys in the picture are members of a band called Cartel that I've never heard of, but must be big enough to be hanging out in MTV Studios).

Looks fun !

But I still like the dancing/looking completely stupid when playing Samba..... :D
This is a bit more serious I guess....but since my most modern games machine IS the Dreamcast  :laugh:...............

So what's the music like ? Is it all "hard" rock ? Why isn't there any jazzy or funky stuff on those games ?

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2008, 06:36:17 pm »
I think there's some Chili Peppers.  That can get a little funky.  They do downloadable content, so theoretically it could eventually have all types of songs.  But it is called "Rock" Band, so it'll probably always have Rock leanings.  Also, I think the songs they choose tend to be songs that have interesting parts for each instrument to play.  It's a party game.  It doesn't make for a very good party if they include a song with no drums or a boring bass part.  They want to keep everyone doing interesting stuff as much as possible, I'd imagine.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2008, 07:05:38 pm »
I heard the designers of the game interviewed on a radio show.

shmokes's reply pretty much covered it.

They were asked if they were going to have other music types and they said no.  They said rock was thy only type of music that had equally fun parts in their songs and they could be played with just guitars and drums.

This was an interview when Rock Band first came out.  Now that it's become a hit they'll hopefully try and cash in on the other music types. 

I want a Country Band add-on that comes with a fiddle and/or banjo.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2008, 07:44:22 pm »
I want a Country Band add-on that comes with a fiddle and/or banjo.

How about Chamber Music Hero?    http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2008/02/17/

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2008, 03:49:26 am »
I think there's some Chili Peppers.  That can get a little funky.  They do downloadable content, so theoretically it could eventually have all types of songs.  But it is called "Rock" Band, so it'll probably always have Rock leanings.  Also, I think the songs they choose tend to be songs that have interesting parts for each instrument to play.  It's a party game.  It doesn't make for a very good party if they include a song with no drums or a boring bass part.  They want to keep everyone doing interesting stuff as much as possible, I'd imagine.
Boring bass part ? Never listened to any Level 42 did you ?  :laugh:

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2008, 08:08:48 am »

You seem to be missing the point though.

It isn't just about one instrument being interesting. They don't put songs in that have interesting bass to play. They put songs in that have interesting bass to play AND interesting guitar, drums & vocals.

There are 4 aspects to Rock Band play, and they want the songs to be enjoyable regardless of which "instrument" you choose to play them with.

I have never heard of Level 42 before, but I did youtube them. There is some very heavy synthesizer dominance, and that alone would kill any enjoyment it would have in Rock Band, where synthesizer play isn't an option.

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2008, 08:55:38 am »

There are 4 aspects to Rock Band play, and they want the songs to be enjoyable regardless of which "instrument" you choose to play them with.

Still, they didn't see fit to add a solo tour mode for the bass.  Not that I care - I find playing bass on most songs pretty tedious.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

You seem to be missing the point though.

It isn't just about one instrument being interesting. They don't put songs in that have interesting bass to play. They put songs in that have interesting bass to play AND interesting guitar, drums & vocals.

I have never heard of Level 42 before, but I did youtube them. There is some very heavy synthesizer dominance, and that alone would kill any enjoyment it would have in Rock Band, where synthesizer play isn't an option.

True, there's a good part of it in there. Also, you probably saw all the "hits". those are the more commercial songs. To understand Mark King's bass playing take a look at this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioVmqlt2Fk[/youtube]

or (this is from 1985):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-yS7z9Qdw&feature=related[/youtube]

Anyway, I understand the limitations of a game like that, but I usually feel that US rock music is ......well not my thing....with exceptions like Toto etc.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2008, 10:31:22 am »

Toto.   :laugh2:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2008, 10:58:24 am »
Hey......this is an 80s forum right ?
 :laugh:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2008, 11:00:17 am »

Yep.  Yesterday morning driving my kids to their vacation day camp, I asked them what songs they wanted to hear on the way.  The boys are 6 and 8.  Their answers:

"Smoke on the Water!"
"Hey Joe!"

;D

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:08 am »
It's all in the up-bringing my man :P

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2008, 03:09:59 am »
I finally got my 360 today and Rock Band is great so far.  I'm really liking the drums, and I got used to the new guitar pretty quick.  I played about 5 songs on solo, then I fired up my very first ever online console game.  I choose the quick game option, and was quickly matched up with another player, he choose extreme difficulty and a song that I've never heard of, and I proceded to beat him by a few thousand points :)  He then chose a second song that I recognized, but never played, and I beat him again by an even bigger margin.  Good times.

I played a few single player songs with the microphone on medium difficulty and was able to beat them even though I sounded like an idiot, but I think I'm going to ignore that part of the game from now on.  It's just not my cup of tea, but it's nice that its there for people who do enjoy it.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2008, 02:25:21 pm »
That’s what I thought too.  I sang enough songs to get Davey Jones a jacket.  It was very awkward and I figured once he matched the rest of the Monkees I’d never sing again.  But drumming takes a lot out of you and sometimes you don’t even want to play guitar.  Singing is a great choice if you are having a Rockband party and you’re too tired to play an instrument.

When you're having friends over I recommend doing shots of whiskey.  It makes everyone sound/sing better.

Does anyone know when they are going to be selling guitars separately for Rockband?

According to the last thing I read they should be selling them by now.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2008, 02:41:33 pm »
Does anyone know when they are going to be selling guitars separately for Rockband?

Check Gamestop.  They sell used guitars separately for GH... likely for RB too.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2008, 08:37:42 pm »
I remember after I my first day of owning Guitar Hero a couple years ago my fingers were really sore and cramped up from playing too much, well today after playing Rock Band a bunch yesterday, my shoulder is extremely sore from the drumming.  I figured it would be my calf from the pedal or my forearms, but they are both fine, apparently my shoulder moves a lot more then I thought.

It's definately a lot of fun though.  Also, I played the guitar online again and was throughly beat in a tug-o-war match.  I guess I have some practicing to do  :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2008, 12:34:09 pm »

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2008, 01:34:03 pm »

Ultimate Band.

FTL

"And whether they choose guitar, drums, bass or front man, members don’t need to buy costly, single-function peripherals to play their way through Ultimate Band’s deep song list, dynamic venues, and customizable characters. The Wii Remote and DS stylus are the only tools they’ll need to reach rock stardom in Ultimate Band."

:dunno

Those costly single function instruments are a huge part of the appeal.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »

I agree - but $170 is too much for a lot of people.  There has to be some people in between who want to play the game but won't choose Rock Band over 4-5 other recent games.  The question is how many?  Or, perhaps, for those who like Rock Band but only have a Wii.  I'd like Rock Band but I have no plans for a 360.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:58 pm »
Rock Band is a tough game to play.  I'm assuming Guitar Hero is just as tough.  My Nieces and nephews love it, but they can't finish a song.

I've said this already in this thread.  The Wii is for little kids, if watered down enough Ultimate Band will do better on the Wii than Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

A really bad think about this is that Disney probably won't allow any Hanna Montana songs for my Rock Band.

:(

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2008, 11:38:11 pm »

. . . or front man, members don’t need to buy costly, single-function peripherals

How exactly are they gonna manage that?  There's no mic on the Wii remote . . . only a speaker.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2008, 07:43:58 am »

What, you never used your headphones as a mic as a kid?   ;D 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2008, 04:45:25 pm »

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2008, 12:09:51 am »

Rock Band's wikipedia page says EA's CEO confirmed plans to launch a Nintendo Wii version.

;D

Yup  :)

Looks like Rock Band has officially been confirmed for the Wii, although it won't be released for another year and there no word if it will have downloadable content.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185448.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6185448

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2008, 07:22:29 am »
I saw the guitarist look at his watch during the long keyboard part in the Who song. Pretty funny.
Old, but not obsolete.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2008, 04:39:07 pm »

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2008, 04:52:39 pm »
Do you even own RockBand?

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2008, 05:42:03 pm »
Old, but not obsolete.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2008, 07:17:50 pm »
What's that? People who play online?

Yes.  Online tournaments.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2008, 09:41:13 pm »
OK how exactly does that work?  Looks like a great idea!