Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Defender Restore to Williams Multigame - Upgraded - JROK's WSF All In One  (Read 61254 times)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Great job on the restore!!!!!!!  And thanks for all of the careful measuring.

Why paint instead of laminate?  I'm curious because I'll likely need to pick one or the other at some point.

Original machine was painted and stenciled.. It was important to me to keep it as authentic as possible.  And you will find not too many classic cabs are actually laminated.

And another question (since you have both Defender and Ms. Pacman)!

Is it as easy to remove the control panel on the Ms. Pacman as it is on the Defender machine?

Thanks!
Gary

Oh... that was another unrelated project... yes a Ms. Pac panel comes off with just a flip of the latches just like Defender.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:58:30 pm by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

GaryMcT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2014, 11:19:27 am
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
Great job on the restore!!!!!!!  And thanks for all of the careful measuring.

Why paint instead of laminate?  I'm curious because I'll likely need to pick one or the other at some point.

Original machine was painted and stenciled.. It was important to me to keep it as authentic as possible.  And you will find not too many classic cabs are actually laminated.

And another question (since you have both Defender and Ms. Pacman)!

Is it as easy to remove the control panel on the Ms. Pacman as it is on the Defender machine?

Thanks!
Gary

Oh... that was another unrelated project... yes a Ms. Pac panel comes off with just a flip of the latches just like Defender.

Were all the originals painted?  Mine looks laminated with the red and yellow painted on top.

I'm just curious how replaceable Ms. Pac control panels are for a possible upcoming project.

You did a fantastic job by the way!!
My blog on learning how to develop FPGA versions of arcade boards: http://garymct.blogspot.com

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps

Were all the originals painted?  Mine looks laminated with the red and yellow painted on top.

I'm just curious how replaceable Ms. Pac control panels are for a possible upcoming project.

Yes... all Williams cabs were painted... if yours is otherwise, it has been done after by someone else.

Ms. Pac panels are easily replaceable.  MikesArcade sells blanks as well as some that have extra button holes... its a very common cab with plenty of stuff available for it.

Thanks for the compliments!  ;D
Happy Gaming!

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog

Yes... all Williams cabs were painted... if yours is otherwise, it has been done after by someone else.

Ms. Pac panels are easily replaceable.  MikesArcade sells blanks as well as some that have extra button holes... its a very common cab with plenty of stuff available for it.

Thanks for the compliments!  ;D

I'll have to look at it in more detail.  The chipped off bits looked like laminate broken off, but I either didn't see it right or mine has been restored with laminate by someone else.

Cool!  I'll check out MikesArcade!  Thanks for the link?

Do you happen to know if Centipede control panels are also easily replaceable?  Trying to figure out what to do for my vertical machine.  I never want to start with a machine that is in decent shape and do anything that isn't reversible, so control panel replaceability is important! :)
My blog on learning how to develop FPGA versions of arcade boards: http://garymct.blogspot.com

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
I don't think I've ever come across a cab that the control panel was not easily removed... so generally speaking that won't be an issue for ya!

Good Luck!
Happy Gaming!

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
Re: Defender Restore to Williams Multigame - still drawing up plans...
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2009, 02:48:41 am »
This one has been done a million times... but just the same...

The control panel drawing seems off.  My defender control panel measures at 8" tall from a top-down view, not 9".  Is that what you see on yours?

Thanks!
Gary

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2009, 03:11:27 am »

The control panel drawing seems off.  My defender control panel measures at 8" tall from a top-down view, not 9".  Is that what you see on yours?

Thanks!
Gary

Also, the joystick width looks like it might be wrong too.  Looks like it's closer to 3/4" to me (I might be off by 1/16").  From what I can tell you have 5/16", which looks too small to me. 

Only reason that I noticed is because I'm building it in sketchup based on your measurements as a starting point for making new control panels.

Thanks again,
Gary

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:03 am »

Thanks!
Gary

You may be right... I could have measured the panel starting on the 1" mark of the ruler... but I will double check all the numbers. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:49:26 am by RetroACTIVE »
Happy Gaming!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
You are so right!  Those numbers are victims of cut and paste syndrome!  I'm sure I measured from the 1, hence the length error!

Sorry to anyone that got mislead by my poopy plans!
Happy Gaming!

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
You are so right!  Those numbers are victims of cut and paste syndrome!  I'm sure I measured from the 1, hence the length error!

Sweet!!!  What do you get for the joystick hole dimensions?  I can double-check 'em, but my joystick isn't out of the control panel yet, so it's a bit hardt o measure. :)

spriggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
Gr8 job on resto and documentation dude  :afro:   :notworthy:

This is project #4 because of your work.  Thx

PS

If I haven't said it --BINGO! Either that, or I was attempting to say "before" but it was too many letters to type--.... nice repro Spacies  ;) 8)
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

andykmv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2020, 06:01:53 pm
retroactive,
I have been researching defender cab dimensions for a while and have not had much luck but have a bunch of parts ready to build a cab so this is fantastic work!

just wondering if you still have the dimensions for the top three panels, the bit above the back door, the vent panel above the back door and the very top panel! ;D

cheers!

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps

Sweet!!!  What do you get for the joystick hole dimensions?  I can double-check 'em, but my joystick isn't out of the control panel yet, so it's a bit hardt o measure. :)

Yes I need to correct the drawing... but mine is put together as well, so I'm in the same boat you are ;)

retroactive,
I have been researching defender cab dimensions for a while and have not had much luck but have a bunch of parts ready to build a cab so this is fantastic work!

just wondering if you still have the dimensions for the top three panels, the bit above the back door, the vent panel above the back door and the very top panel! ;D

cheers!

They are somewhere... I'll look around and post them as soon as I can.
Happy Gaming!

GaryMcT

• Offline Offline
    • GaryMcT's arcade blog
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2009, 09:11:59 pm »

Did you end up replicating the button hole shape and use short-shaft buttons for your new control panel, or did you cut a hole straight threw and use long shaft?

Thanks!
Gary

RetroACTIVE

• Offline Offline
  • Gramps
I used long leafs, which required me to route the back side under each switch holder...
Happy Gaming!

CathalDublin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 04:05:23 pm
hey RetroACTIVE

I know this thread is wayyyy old, but I'm finally getting around to giving my defender cabinet the love it deserved and I'm looking for the overlay you used.
gameongraphix don't seem to list it and I was wondering would you have a copy of the file used?
You cabinet looks awesome by the way, excellent work.

I've found one here but its not quite as good as yours
http://www.arcadeoverlays.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=17232&c=0&i=250278371

Living in Ireland is a pita sometimes :banghead:
Cheers
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:59:13 am by cynos »
Defender(multiwilliams), SF2CE
Whirlwind, Lethal Weapon 3