Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will Playstation to USB adapter work with light gun?  (Read 8245 times)

arcadecab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2007, 06:17:06 pm
Will Playstation to USB adapter work with light gun?
« on: April 13, 2003, 08:07:46 pm »
I have a radio shack Playstation to USB adapter and it works great with my Sony PS2 controller and my Pelican arcade fighter stick.  I am wondering if it will possibly with a PS2 light gun, such as Guncom or possibly others?  I am using just a standard NEC computer monitor.  Anyone try this or believe it would work?  I read in a previous thread that the steering wheel would probably work--wondering if same is true for light gun.
Thanks.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Will Playstation to USB adapter work with light gun?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 08:49:16 pm »
I have a radio shack Playstation to USB adapter and it works great with my Sony PS2 controller and my Pelican arcade fighter stick.  I am wondering if it will possibly with a PS2 light gun, such as Guncom or possibly others?  I am using just a standard NEC computer monitor.  Anyone try this or believe it would work?  I read in a previous thread that the steering wheel would probably work--wondering if same is true for light gun.
Thanks.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying anything, no matter how "out there" a given idea is...

But... I'm guessing that this will not work.  

1. The  usb adapter shows up as a "joystick" in windoze... which will probably dork up any accuracy, if it works at all...

2. how will the light gun be able to tell the software/screen to "flash"... i.e.  i imagine some sort of special driver...

that's just my opinion.. and I bet one of the light guru's on the board can post a more coherent, but simliar explanation as to why it won't work (or maybe, I'm wrong... and they'll tell you it will work)

goodl uck!

rampy

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 09:19:32 pm »
I do not think so.   I have heard a lot of reports that guns do not work with this.  

However, if you are in the mood for a light gun, try www.actlabs.net, as their USB Gun will work with MAME, when using a CRT Type PC Monitor..    I heard some reports of them building a TV Out version as well.

AX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2004, 02:07:53 pm
  • The only way to win is to cheat!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 10:30:50 pm »
I would say no since TV and VGA light guns are 2 totally seperate things.  

DinoRoger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2005, 02:00:37 am
  • Hey, can I borrow a quarter?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 12:50:32 am »
Please try it on the monitor and a TV (S-Video/Composite).  I believe the software/game tells the screen to flash, not the gun.  You never know!  All this not coming from an expert.  :)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 01:34:57 am »
Thanks.
Doesnt work..I have guncon 1 and guncon 2...none of them works with any converter..I have 3 different converters(INCLUDING radio shack converter)..i tried PC monitor and TV..no dice  :(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 01:40:31 am by SNAAAKE »

Rasher2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2003, 11:34:23 am
  • Dwarf on smoko.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 02:38:48 pm »
Out of interest, on a REAL playstation do the Guncon's buttons register on NON gun games? Just wondering if maybe the game sets up an special environment for the gun, if not you should at least be able to register button presses with a convertor shouldn't you?

Anyone tried using the Guncon with a gun game on a playstation emulator?
Too much blood in the alcohol stream.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 03:17:58 pm »
Out of interest, on a REAL playstation do the Guncon's buttons register on NON gun games? Just wondering if maybe the game sets up an special environment for the gun, if not you should at least be able to register button presses with a convertor shouldn't you?

Anyone tried using the Guncon with a gun game on a playstation emulator?
even though are not cool with people(artwork cop) but I will try to answer your questions.
Yes the guncon red button and triger registers inputs(I think its input 8 and 6) but thats it.
There is nothing else goin on when you try to test the gun in windows control panel.
And it doesnt work with psx emulator...my guess is that Psx guncons only work with composite input so there is no way...
Whatever I would just get an actlab gun(for mame).

« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 01:53:29 am by SNAAAKE »

Moebius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2003, 07:44:30 am
  • Thanks for the fish
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 02:03:40 pm »
No matter what you do, Playstation light-guns will NOT work with MAME. MAME simulates gun input by looking for a mouse (eg. if you've no gun, you can use a mouse to move the crosshair). The Act-Labs gun works by simulating a mouse. You can even control the mouse pointer in Windows with it  :)

The Playstation lightgun doesn't know what a mouse is, let alone act like one.

Theoretically, support is possible, but I doubt you'll find any of the MAMEDEVS to program support for a non-PC lightgun directly into MAME.

Accept it, and go buy an act-labs gun. They're actually pretty good  ;)

Moebius

Rasher2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2003, 11:34:23 am
  • Dwarf on smoko.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 02:23:19 pm »
A while ago I remarked "I guess I'm still waiting for someone to hack the Guncon!" and got
Its already been hacked.  Someone wrote a guncon2 (usb) driver for Linux.  I haven't seen anyone take the code and put into mame though, but I'm sure its just a matter of time.

I don't know if this helps any but there you go. I never did ask Dave the details.
Too much blood in the alcohol stream.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2003, 01:51:15 am »
A while ago I remarked "I guess I'm still waiting for someone to hack the Guncon!" and got
Its already been hacked.  Someone wrote a guncon2 (usb) driver for Linux.  I haven't seen anyone take the code and put into mame though, but I'm sure its just a matter of time.

I don't know if this helps any but there you go. I never did ask Dave the details.
Ok, I scounged around for awhile, and finally found the link (somehow its not on google anymore).

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bgoines78/

Anyway, the details are that someone came up with a basic set of linux USB drivers.  Nothing is actually implemented yet in mame.  Happy hacking....