Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mala Issue with Tempest  (Read 2921 times)

acevedor2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 08:21:24 pm
Mala Issue with Tempest
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »
I seem to be having a problem running Tempest in Mala RC9.  The game comes up fine and sounds great.  The spinner moves the ship, but when I fire, you can't see any of the bullets/lasers/whatever you want to call them.

This game works fine with Mame 32 and it works fine with GameEx as the FE using Command Line Mame .113

I am also using .113 command line for Mala so I am not sure why it doesn't work.  Any thoughts?
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Mala Issue with Tempest
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:44:59 pm »
I seem to be having a problem running Tempest in Mala RC9.  The game comes up fine and sounds great.  The spinner moves the ship, but when I fire, you can't see any of the bullets/lasers/whatever you want to call them.

This game works fine with Mame 32 and it works fine with GameEx as the FE using Command Line Mame .113

I am also using .113 command line for Mala so I am not sure why it doesn't work.  Any thoughts?

OK Well it's not MaLa RC9 as I just played a game (I'm am not to good at that game by the way)

MaLa does not change the way mame runs...   Weird

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:18:53 am »
That is very strange then.  Again, it works with Mame32 and GameEx with Mame.  The game DOES run in Mala, but it doesn't show the lasers coming from your ship. ...It's kind of hard to play when you can't see that you're actually shooting something.  I'll keep plugging at it and see what I come up with.

I also tried running Mame32 with Mala and the game has the same issues.  Yet if I run Mame32 on it's own and run Tempest, the picture is fine.  Leads me to beleie I might have a setting wrong...Though I am not sure what setting would allow me to see the game but not all of the vectors (me firing)?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:57:13 am by acevedor2 »
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:04:06 am »
OK, I think I figured it out.  In Mala Config there is a setting for Vectors.  2 Options are:

Draw translucent vectors
Draw antialiased vectors

Both of these items were checked.  You CANNOT uncheck "Draw translucent vectors" for some reason.  Well you physically casn, but as soon as you click "ok" at the bottom and if you go back into the vector config, that check mark is back in so I think Mala does that by default and won't let you change it.

The one that says "Draw antialiased vectors" however, can be unchecked and does save the setting.  With this off (unchecked), everything looks great in Tempest and it works fine.

My question now is what does antialiasing do (this tab I unchecked) and will it negatively impact any other game to have it off?  Thanks!

Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:06:01 am »
Well done for figuring it out  :applaud:

Ahh  Manually edit mame.ini (with notepad)

That is all MaLa is doing anyway...

I don't think that Mame.ini editor (Built into mala) has been updated in a while so it's not coping with the lastest version of mame seince changes have been made

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:01:23 am »
I appreciate all the help.  So do I need to worry at all about the fact that I have antialiasing unchecked in mala?  All of the other games seem to be running fine with no issues - though I haven't checked all my vector games. 
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:27:21 am »
I appreciate all the help.  So do I need to worry at all about the fact that I have antialiasing unchecked in mala? 

Nup :-)  I've never used that bit of MaLa as I'm old school and have was used to editing mame.ini by hand  :D

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 02:11:17 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks!  :cheers:
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman