Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Touching up your cab  (Read 2556 times)

the720k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2019, 02:31:47 am
Touching up your cab
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:28:27 pm »
I just tried out the Mohawk Blendal repair stick to touch up my cabinet's surface imperfections, and I thought you guys might appreciate the info.

I have an Asteroids-to-MAME conversion machine at home that had quite a few spots that needed some touching up.  I didn't want to go through the hassle of painting every spot and risk having the repair still show up, so I tried out the Blendal black stick on my cab.  Wow.  Just wow.  Every spot I blended came out perfectly, and really makes the cab look sharp.  For the heck of it, I tried it on my metal coin door to touch up some of the chipped paint spots, and it now looks like a brand new coin door! 

All you do is rub the stick on the damaged surface and smooth it out with your finger (which can get a bit messy) or VERY lightly with a paper towel until the surface is the same color and consistancy. 

I realize that this is not a permanent fix if you will be handling the repaired section constantly, unless you spray a protectant over it, but it's the only thing I've run across that actually makes the cab look like it's never been touched.  I'd post some pics, but I never got good detailed "before" pics before I applied the stick.  I haven't tried anything but the black color, but I'm sure if you tried a few different colors on a laminated or wood panel, it would do just as well.  One stick should last you well past the lifetime of your cabinet, unless you are constantly beating and gouging it over an extended period of time.   ;D

Anyway, I found a link to Mohawk's order page if anyone would like to try it out.  $3.41 a stick seems like a steal for what it does.  I'm not sure if you have to be a regularly ordering customer to get it from Mohawk directly, though.  I'm sure other places carry and resell it as well.  Here's the link:

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=628

Hope this helps.  It made a world of difference on my machine!
My Machines:  Sega Top Skater | Vertical 25" JAMMA cabinet (Raiden Fighters II / 60-in-1 currently) |  Xevious (Restored)  |  3-Player MAME in a previously MA(i)MEd Beast Busters cab (In progress)  |  19" upright 2-player MAME cab w/light gun  |  Pac-Man Cocktail running MAME (built from scratch - no original harmed in the making) : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64599.0