Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom arcade stick building questions.  (Read 6703 times)

Momo254

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2011, 09:46:19 pm
Custom arcade stick building questions.
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:18:19 am »
What's the best wood to use when building an arcade stick?  I got a router for my bday thanks to my girlfriend and is a router pretty easy to use for making indentions to mount a joystick and buttons? Thanks in advance.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
Re: Custom arcade stick building questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:47:01 am »
The 2 best materials in my experience have been baltic birch plywood for the body and MDF for the top. Baltic birch plywood is very light and very sturdy. I like MDF for the top as it is uniform in thickness and flatness and because it machines very easily. What style of joystick are you building?

Here's a couple of mine.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

kowal

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2023, 02:02:16 am
  • Suzo 4ever
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:06:07 am »
Nice sticks!

I use wood frame (I have resigned from MDF )
http://www.kowal.itcom.pl/ArcadeParts_pliki/Skrzynia.htm

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:05 am »
Nice sticks yourself! Especially the Feng one. :cheers:

Momo254

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:29:30 am »
I wanna build just a custom sanwa case.  I'm just trying to find a good wood to use or a combination there of

Momo254

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:17:29 am »
The 2 best materials in my experience have been baltic birch plywood for the body and MDF for the top. Baltic birch plywood is very light and very sturdy. I like MDF for the top as it is uniform in thickness and flatness and because it machines very easily. What style of joystick are you building?

Here's a couple of mine.

I really like that stick with the sanwa parts on it.  It looks amazing.  I'm just starting out and I just wanna get as many tips as I can.   My gf bought me a router for my bday, but I have yet to even touch it. 

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 04:36:57 pm »
Looking at the middle pic bottom row I see tones of quick disconnects and wire ties and other parts in the background.  Where do you get your supplies?

TTFN  :cheers:
Kaytrim

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 08:05:51 pm »
Looking at the middle pic bottom row I see tones of quick disconnects and wire ties and other parts in the background.  Where do you get your supplies?

Kaytrim
Here's most of my sources. I generally buy in larger quantities to save a bit. A lot of my sources are ebay sellers.

Here's the list:
.187 Quick Disconnects for Happ buttons and sticks and seimitsu sticks.

.110 Quick Disconnects for sanwa buttons.

Euro Terminals for wiring up the insides. No more paying $2.59 each at radio shack. ;)

Acrylic or Polycarbonate sheet for making control panel overlays. Fast shipping and much less than what you'd pay at Home Depot or Lowes.

This is the seller where I get my rubber feet from. They're not listed at the moment, but the ones I use are 15/16" diameter.

Plastic Jars, just in case you were interested.  ;) I buy the 26 oz size. Check out his site as he has a lot more sizes and styles.

A good source for Baltic Birch Plywood. Sells decent sized pieces for not too much. Good quality stock. This place is especially useful if you only need a little bit for a project. I'm favoring baltic birch plywood as a building material now because it's stronger and lighter than MDF.

That about covers my online sources for the most part. I get my glue, gluesticks, exacto supplies, and cable ties from wal-mart. I get wire (22 awg stranded) and soldering supplies from radio shack. Hardboard (for joystick bottoms), plastic laminate, contact cement, wood glue (titebond FTW), and other misc items I get from Lowes (closer than home depot). I got the square cable tie mounting plates from home depot a while back, but would do an ebay search if I needed them again. And I get most of my tools from amazon. ;)

Hope this helps you out some. Let me know if I left anything out.
 :cheers:

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:51:48 pm »
My gf bought me a router for my bday, but I have yet to even touch it. 

You're off to a good start. :cheers:
What router did she get you?

What questions would you need answered?

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 01:55:43 pm »
Thanks for the links.  ;D  I am looking at getting into this but my artistic skills are very lacking.  I might have to outsource this part of the task or sell without art or a basic color scheme.  I notice that you use Happ controls in one and Swana in the other.  What is the difference and why would people choose one over the other?  Are you laminating or painting the base?  I am looking at doing a portable MAME setup with a custom interface.  What do you make yours for, console or PC?

Kaytrim
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:03:22 pm by Kaytrim »

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 02:21:50 pm »
I notice that you use Happ controls in one and Swana in the other.  What is the difference and why would people choose one over the other? 
It's a matter of preference. Sanwa buttons and joysticks are more responsive than Happs. They are much preferred for fighting games. Some still prefer the feel of Happ buttons and sticks. I used to swear by Happs but now I'm a sanwa convert. IMHO, sanwa buttons and sticks aren't for heavy handed players.

Are you laminating or painting the base?  I am looking at doing a portable MAME setup with a custom interface. 
I use plastic laminate. I toyed with the idea of painting but I don't like waiting for coats to dry. Then you have to put on a clear coat and wait for that to dry. And even with all that time spent on it, the finish still isn't as durable as plastic laminate. With plastic laminate you just spread the contact cement, wait 20 min for it to dry, stick the laminate on and trim it with a router and flush trim bit. Very simple. It comes in a lot of colors too. I love it.

What do you make yours for, console or PC?
Depends on the application. Mostly console though. I even make game specific joysticks sometimes. For instance, right now I'm working on a dedicated Neo Geo stick for PC, a general purpose stick for PS2 and a stick dedicated for tekken tag tournament (5 buttons). As soon as I get a PS3 I'll make a Tekken 5 dark resurrection stick for that. Others on my list include a PS2 tekken 5 stick, a street fighter alpha 3 joystick and maybe a capcom vs snk 2 joystick. I just really like building joysticks...

Hope this helps some.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 02:55:42 pm »
Are you laminating or painting the base?  I am looking at doing a portable MAME setup with a custom interface. 
I use plastic laminate. I toyed with the idea of painting but I don't like waiting for coats to dry. Then you have to put on a clear coat and wait for that to dry. And even with all that time spent on it, the finish still isn't as durable as plastic laminate. With plastic laminate you just spread the contact cement, wait 20 min for it to dry, stick the laminate on and trim it with a router and flush trim bit. Very simple. It comes in a lot of colors too. I love it.

Hope this helps some.

Have you tried the stick on vinyl or do you think that the laminate is better?  How much do you charge for one of your sticks?

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 03:02:44 pm »
I've not tried the vinyl personally but I have had a few sticks that had it preinstalled (x-arcade and street fighter anniversary sticks) and I've found that it's durable on a flat surface, but at the corners it can and will start to peel up after use. I feel plastic laminate is much more durable and worth the extra cost.

Generally prices are based on what the customer wants.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 03:11:38 pm »
So do you get you laminate at Lows or HD or do you get it online?

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 03:21:28 pm »
The plastic laminate I get from Lowe's. If I need something they don't have I simply special order it and it's there a couple of days later. No shipping charge.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 03:27:48 pm »
Finally do you do your own artwork or do you hire it out?  Do you print it out at home or Kinkos or Mame Marquees?  I know that I am full of questions :dizzy: but I am rather serious on doing this to make a little money.  At least to fund my own project(s).  ;D

Kaytrim

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 03:31:04 pm »
For my own sticks I do my own artwork. For customers they provide the artwork. I get the art printed at kinko's on 11x17 glossy photopaper. I'm looking into a printer that will let me print on those sizes.

Momo254

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 02:19:28 am »
My gf bought me a router for my bday, but I have yet to even touch it. 

You're off to a good start. :cheers:
What router did she get you?

What questions would you need answered?

Its from harbor freight.  It's a ryobi router thats all I really know about it.  Is that a good router?  How hard is it to route into wood? For specifics like creating the top of the box so that it'll fit a piece of acrylic? Thats my real main concern, I don't want it to be an uneven top and all.  Was it hard to mount the joystick in place?  I just don't wanna mess this up :)  Also can a router cut like perfectly straight squares or rectangles?  I'm interested in making a beatmania controller, which looks like this:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:23:06 am by Momo254 »

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 05:42:57 pm »
I read this thread title all wrong.

I thought someone was making a joystick out of wood.  :dunno

I was gonna get happy go jacky on the white guy like a donkey eating a waffle
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 01:17:57 am »
It's certainly possible, Drew, with a lathe. In fact it's probably pretty simple. I'm surprised someone hasn't done it yet.

Momo254; here's some answers.

Ryobi isn't the best brand for routers but they're ok. Just make sure to get some good router bits. Whitesides are some of the best out there and if you know where to shop you can get them for a pretty good price too. :cheers:

Routing into wood is easy as long as you follow the basic guidelines. I highly recommend this book, Woodworking with the Router. It will teach you everything and more regarding the use of your new router. It covers everything including router bits. You'll be able to do everything you need to with it. It can cut the pieces (yes, square cuts too as long as you use a straight edge), shape the edge profiles, cut the recesses for the acrylic, cut your button and joystick holes, and anything else needed. Router really can do anything.