Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I Bought A Router. Is It Any Good?  (Read 2487 times)

fjl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
I Bought A Router. Is It Any Good?
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:38:49 pm »
Okay I went to a car swapmeet today and someone had an old router among the other junk they where selling. He wanted $30 for it but I haggled my way down to $20 bucks. It's pretty rusted from the looks of it. I have no bits to try on it. Actually this is my first router so I'm not really sure how to use it as in putting in the bits and such. It has dials but they don't really move anything. It's either stuck or meant to be that way. It works cause I turned it on and spins pretty much smoothly. Kind of noisy but I expect routers to be noisy. Regardless, look at the pics and tell me if its missing any parts or anything. What you see is all I got. There where no extra accessories or anything. Looks kind of old or maybe its just dirty.

One other question, is the part that holds the bit supposed to be a chuck that can be tightened? Mine seems to just be a hole with no way to tighten it. Anyone want to point me in the right direction on that part? Was this a good buy for $20 bucks?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:45:42 pm by efjayel »

prOk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2015, 08:29:34 pm
  • www.rgvac.com
    • Brian's Classic Arcade
Re: I Bought A Router. Is It Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:16:34 pm »
I'd get my 20 bucks back.

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:28:57 pm »
Without seeing it work, its hard to tell. It looks pretty well used...but looks can be deceiving.

I just got a brand new display router at Lowes for $15...and that was with a case...so $20 for a well used one seems a bit high at the moment. However, if it functions properly, it will be a decent deal as most decent routers are pretty expensive.

Try it and see if it works!

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 02:13:51 am »
After some research, it seems this is an old no longer made model. Supposedly, Ryobi made this one like many others back in the day for Sears. It's a 1HP 6.5 amp router.

Also, the rust was preventing it from going up and down. Took the base off and it seems like the plunge base still works as long as I get rid off the small amount of rust and the all the wood dust stuck in it and adjust some of the holding screws. I'll go by me a bit tommorrow and clean it up and try it out.

Although, I still plan to buy the Bosch model that comes with all the accessories. But this will help me play with using a router before I buy mine. So if I break it, it's only a $20 dollar loss ;)

ZOMG! $20 dollars down the drain!  :o

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:21:56 am »
Indeed. $20 down the drain...

Even if it did work, the craftsman routers made way back had bit slippage issues. That's a big problem for a router.

Here's a better choice for $47.49 delivered to your door. Not production quality, but I'm pretty confident it'll survive a few cabinets. Leagues better than the craftsman you got scammed for.

EDIT:
I just saw that you plan on getting the bosch model. That's an excellent model and the included accessories make it an even better deal. It's a high quality production router.

BUT...

I just got This router kit and I like it better than the Bosch. It's shorter so the center of gravity is lower thus making it more stable during use. It comes with clear sub bases sized for porter cable style bushings, and also includes an extra clear base with a larger hole for bigger bits. The centering cone is an excellent tool for ensuring accuracy, especially when using template guide bushings. One thing I really like is the cord that detaches at the motor so unplugging it is really easy when changing bits. Another place where this router really shines is the plunge base. The plunging action is very smooth (among the smoothest out there) and the dust extraction through the column is genius and efficient. All in all, my new favorite router kit.

The bosch is great, and I'll keep mine, but it's going in a benchtop router table I'm building. More on that later...
The included accessories are great, but I've found that the only ones I use are the dust vac ports...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:35:10 am by NiteWalker »

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:43 am »
ZOMG! $20 dollars down the drain!  :o

You'll be surprised once you total your arcade expense just how quickly it all adds up.

I got my first router for around $15 off ebay. A Harbor Freight model. It may not be much better than that router in it's current condition. Either way, congrats on getting started.

sodapopinski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2011, 11:13:41 am
  • if I only had normal friends
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 04:59:27 pm »
I've used that same router before. almost as old too. It didn't compare to a porter cable, but it got the job done. New(high end) routers run for around $280 CND, so I figure 20 bucks ain't that bad. You're going to need your router wrenches.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 08:54:03 am »

I'd be afraid of taking something that rusty and unknown and standing in front of it at thousands of RPM.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 11:05:29 pm »
I have the cheapo harbor freight router and it has performed very well for what we do with them.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

ElKootcho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 07:58:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 02:00:23 am »
you can download a PDF of th eoriginal owners manual here http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDetail.asp?ID=222&PubID=613