Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logo Designer needed, help fund youth center  (Read 5534 times)

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
Logo Designer needed, help fund youth center
« on: March 07, 2007, 10:12:18 pm »
Well you don't really have to be the best ever, but hey...I made you look.

I grew up in a small town and played games at a place called "The Bodega". Legendary small town Pizza eatery, Hangout, Video Games, etc..etc..the placed rocked the 80's. SOOO many fond memories of this place. The owner "Dick" or AKA "Bodega Dick" is THE pizza legend in our town. Well Dick finally hung it up about 1995 or so. Took off on his Harely and traveled the country and what not. Of course the gang of hoodlums are devastated...NOWHERE to hang out anymore. Long story short...Dick is back and wants to DO IT AGAIN!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I was fortunate enough to bump into him yesterday and he says that he would possibly re-open and I said I would help. I don't think he realizes how willing I am to help. I would like someone @ BYOAC design the sickest logo to present to him to show him that I mean business.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED...

A "BODEGA PIZZA" logo that could be used as a commercial logo for the hopeful return of my local legendary pizza joint. Remember that I will be donating this to Bodega Dick and just on a whim of hope that this could actually fly. I'm willing to pay the price but will probably be limited to a lot > less than $100. So name your price.

I would like for discussion, concepts and decisions to be made here. Winner will be paid ASAP upon acceptance.   

NOTES TO CONSIDER:
One individual actually re-opened Bodega pizza for about a 2 year stint from 2005 to just recently. It was a HUGE flop due to mismanagement. We would somehow like it to be known that Dick the legend is BACK...I don't know if this would be incorporated into a logo design or not...as much as I would like for it to be. IOW it needs to be known that The original Bodega Dick is back in all advertisement, if possible.
:dunno

7/09/2008 UPDATE: Bodega Pizza is now going to operate within our local Youth Center as a means for cash flow to keep the Youth Center operating. Please read towards bottom of thread for more information on the updates. Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:44:35 pm by Donkey_Kong »
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Organic Jerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
Re: Coolest Logo Designer...EVER!??! Inquire within...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:38:20 am »
I guess for some direction and idea flowing, I'll post logos of current big Pizza places...

Is there any specific direction you want to go?  Classic looking or modern looking, regal or down-to-earth?

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:38:09 am »
I guess for some direction and idea flowing, I'll post logos of current big Pizza places...

Is there any specific direction you want to go?  Classic looking or modern looking, regal or down-to-earth?

You know what would be cool Organic...Thanks for asking BTW. *Classic* with a hint of video gaming...somehow!! I mean even though there were only ever about 4 machines at a time at the original Bodega...This is what it was all about for me. Along with lots of 8 ball pool sessions! Don't forget the rockin' Jukebox. My favorite tune to play on it was Scorpions...Passion Rules the Game. Oh...and the Best, Pin, Ever,...CYCLONE!!

:dunno Sorry about getting worked up...If this actually goes down...IT'LL BE NUTZ!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:42:51 am by Donkey_Kong »
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 03:32:21 am »
Well from what you're saying, I'm not sure if I'd want to directly hint at the videogames, so much as the "entertainment" aspect in general... Someone could come in there for pool or for good music with their pizza, and we wouldnt want to downplay those things in favor of one..

It definitely sounds like a biker spot, and almost like it's begging to embrace the "around the corner good place to eat and have fun" image.. that is, as opposed to any type of "classic" image...

Thoughts anyone?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:37:40 am by OrganicJerk »

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 10:05:13 am »
It would be more family oriented than a biker joint. The more earthy kids might filter in like I did myself back in the day and Bodega Dick was always cool with that.

Currently it would be the one of the few places to eat...and pretty much the only place for family entertainment in the entire town. Population is 2500.

Oddfeld

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2021, 07:04:15 am
  • I was Jeff Minter's llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »
I'm willing to pay the price but will probably be limited to a lot > less than $100. So name your price.

If you can stump up $100, you might get more entries and consideration from budding artists if you ran a corporate logo design competition at worth1000.com. I think as it's a small company they'd probably charge you their minimum listing fee of $50 and you'd offer $50 as a cash prize incentive for the winner.

Details at http://www.worth1000.com/faq.asp#C40

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just seems a cheap way for a small business to get lots of logo design concepts done. Go to their homepage, click on the 'contests' tab and have a look at some of the previous corporate contests.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 03:15:45 pm »
I'm gonna go take some pics of the building inside and out. It is currently an antique store but the pizza ovens are still in place as well as the menu on the wall!!

I might try and get a shot of Bodega Dick too!!

Thanks Guys! Will definitely look into the worth 1000 at that point.

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:37:36 pm »
Is pixelhugger still around? He's designed most of the BYOAC token designs, the marquees for SlikStik, my GameRoom tokens, and a bunch of other artwork.

He'd be my first pick.
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:59:29 pm »
Take a look at the identity design for BJs Pizza; it is a nice retro style that works well for them: http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:14:56 pm »
Is pixelhugger still around? He's designed most of the BYOAC token designs, the marquees for SlikStik, my GameRoom tokens, and a bunch of other artwork.

He'd be my first pick.
Thanks Kev. I hope he is still around. I dialed him up on a PM months ago about something else...hmmmm. Anyone heard from him lately?

Take a look at the identity design for BJs Pizza; it is a nice retro style that works well for them: http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/

There food looks great man. Wish they had on of these in Central, MN

I'm really liking the Litzas. I'm thinking a picture of Bodega Dick carrying a pizza similar to the litza guy but an actual artist rendition of Bodega Dick himself.

So it would actually be something like this
"The Bodega"
(artist rendition of bodega dick)
"**Tagline?"

**Tag line ideas welcome too cause obviously...mine are teh suck.
"---Deutsche Frankfurters--- back"
"The LEGEND Returns"

Edit: Actually I am liking "The Legend Returns"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:17:07 pm by Donkey_Kong »

melarky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 12:49:22 pm
  • If I could be any animal, I would be a llama
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:55:47 pm »
You could always go to http://gotlogos.com/ and see what they come up with ($25 per logo is a pretty good price to see if they can come up with something nice).  It's  a gamble (I think if you don't like the design they give you, you have to pay another $25 for changes or redesign...).  You might get lucky, they have some sharp looking logos in their gallery...

SodaPopinksi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2011, 03:38:29 pm
  • Cold, Smokey, Rich Diet Caffeine Free Coke
    • John Keeler
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 05:43:29 pm »

Just some idears, could put the town name on there, like "A Cleveland Classic" was thinking you could have a pac man shaped pizza eating pepperoni... or the arcade classic font in the logo without any video game images to imply video-gameness. You could have Melissa carve a big pacman and pixellated letters for the sign hehe ;)
"Seimitsu LB-39's make me thirsty"- SodaPopinski

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 06:14:32 pm »

Just some idears, could put the town name on there, like "A Cleveland Classic" was thinking you could have a pac man shaped pizza eating pepperoni... or the arcade classic font in the logo without any video game images to imply video-gameness. You could have Melissa carve a big pacman and pixellated letters for the sign hehe ;)

Very Cool soda!! I love the idea of a pizza pacman...Genius. Ok, this concept is definitely gonna work. I do also like the "A Crosby Classic"

Oh: If this thing goes I'm really hoping for Melissa to carve the actual sign. I would love that.

Nice work buddy...nice work. Anybody else have any input?  :cheers:

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 06:30:19 pm »
Great to see this is still going... I was kinda waiting to see the pics of the place but I guess we're going right to it..

Not a bad idea Soda... I like the pac-man idea but not sure about it's space usage, and the font. It seems like the cheese topping creates alot of extra empty space.  You could add pepperoni to it, but then that would muddle/confuse the quick understanding of the pac-man idea...

I'll try playing around with some ideas..

SodaPopinksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2011, 03:38:29 pm
  • Cold, Smokey, Rich Diet Caffeine Free Coke
    • John Keeler
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 07:12:58 pm »
Thanks :) I just made it in a few minutes for ideas, if any of the ideas were liked I was hopin' maybe someone with better skills could work it out. The cheese is actually a modified comic strip bubble in Paint Shop Pro lol. Maybe a more realistic looking pizza would be better, like with browned cheese and such? and have the crust look baked like brown/tan. I bet Melissa could carve and paint a really nice looking realistic pac-man pizza.

Maybe a three piece sign... like the bodega up top, the pacman/pepperoni trail in the middle and a sign with more words hanging off the bottom... or two piece with The Bodega up top in an arc with some font, - I agree I think maybe the pixels seem a little too arcadey and robotic- then " A Crosby Classic" in small cursive words right under that, and then the pacman pizza chowing pepperoni hanging below... :dunno
"Seimitsu LB-39's make me thirsty"- SodaPopinski

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
Re: Logo Designer needed, help youth center
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 06:13:40 pm »
I'm very happy to be bringing this thread back up. The Bodega Pizza will be coming back!

It will be located within our new 4000 sq ft youth center. The pizza place will help fund the youth center.

If you could help with this design it would be appreciated. Let me know what you can do. I'm still liking Soda's concept, it's a good start.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
Re: Logo Designer needed, help fund youth center
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:07:57 am »
I love this idea! I'm going to start some concepts tomorrow after work. Ideas are already spewin ;D

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:56 am »
Cool man thanks for any help!

I'm going to upload some pictures for inspiration and to help give an idea of our environment. There are four pictures total. It shows us hanging a new sign for the Youth Center. Remember the Youth Center and Bodega Pizza will be partners and in the same building but of course they will have two seperate logos.

So in the pictures you will see Bodega Dick and I hanging the Youth Center sign that my wife just made for them. Bodega dick is in the bright green shirt. I would really like to see him on the pizza logo, but i dunno. This will give you an idea of his profile (slightly roundish). I can get more pics of him...we are neighbors now.

Note: The Youth Center sign you see is being mounted to their exsisting building that will be tore down in a year or so...then we build the new 4000 sq ft building. The Youth Center logo is not necessarily set in stone and doesn't really have to relate to the Bodega Pizza logo, I wouldn't think so anyway.  :dunno

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:57 am »
If it were at all possible to get something like this...with a profile of our local pizza legend Bodega Dick. That would be pretty cool! I realize this might not be possible...or even the best option.

Edit: Honestly, the dude in this logo could damn near pass for Bodega Dick.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:54:49 am by Donkey_Kong »

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 10:55:00 am »
I just wanted to say awesome work as usual by your better half Donkey_Kong  :applaud:

Good luck with it all.

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:15 am »
Thanks, she is soooo easily the better half.  :laugh2:

Ok, I think that I could transform that Litza's Pizza logo into the Bodega Pizza logo myself. I'm not the greatest designer though and would appreciate any assistance if anyone is feeling energetic. I know when I first posted this I offered money. I feel crappy about this but I'm going to have to retract that offer now. That was a long time ago and we were in better position financially. Hopefully you understand that it's for a good cause. Given that I don't expect anyone to work to hard on this, if at all.

:)

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 11:52:43 am »
My hope is to eventually use the logo and build a bodega themed arcade cabinet as well.

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 05:48:56 pm
  • "I'm surrounded by arcades!"
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 03:47:47 pm »
PM sent.  If you want, Ill do a logo...

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 05:50:21 pm »
Don't know if you already found a logo, but here is one I done on a rush, one white and one black...  The images are of higher quality than what the forum will allow...

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 12:53:44 am »
Looks great man! Thanks for taking a crack at it. It won't be open for at least a year, so there is no hurry. Having a logo might hurry things a long just a bit though. Might get people motivated and start greasing the wheel.

:cheers:

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 04:59:02 am »
If you need me to get down and dirty and make something nice, I will.  Just let me know, I'm not going anywhere over the next year...

spacedace76@yahoo.com

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 12:15:33 pm »
Didn't the old Bodega have some sort of logo or business graphic? If so, why not incorporate that into something more contemporary as a way of honoring the legacy the new Bodega will be carrying forward?

Spaced Ace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »
Didn't the old Bodega have some sort of logo or business graphic? If so, why not incorporate that into something more contemporary as a way of honoring the legacy the new Bodega will be carrying forward?

If Donkey could find the orginal, I could really do it justice....

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 11:40:48 am »
You have a LOGO yet?
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki

Donkey_Kong

• Offline Offline
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 03:41:17 pm »
Wow, dang near 2 years since I made the original post about this.

Bodega Pizza should be making it's comeback this summer. I have a new 3D modeling program for our cnc machine called Aspire. They have 3D clipart that they sell for it so I purchased this chef. It is uncanny how it resembles the real Bodega Dick. I had to get rid of a mustache and add a pizza and lettering.

First draft:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:18:33 pm by Donkey_Kong »