Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: At what stage should the cabinet be "stable"  (Read 2527 times)

Teebor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2009, 12:39:06 pm
  • What does this button do??
At what stage should the cabinet be "stable"
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:43:23 pm »

This is my first time actually constructing a cabinet shell and certainly first attempt at constructing it from wood(had several goes at the control panel with varying successes  ;D )

So far interior shelf is in and fitted (with additional supports for the outsize monitor) and attached firmly to the side panels.

The base is on and a small section of the back panel as well as the "shelf area" for the control panel to be mounted.

Now these are not a great deal of side to side surface area contact parts but the cabinet still seems "wobbly" to me.

Still to go on are several of the upper parts of the cabinet (roof, monitor area,etc) which will constitute a much larger support structure than is currently in place.

But my concern is that it just doesn't feel sturdy currently, and although the parts to go on yet should strengthen it more, it is additional weight for the top.

So I guess what I am asking from you more seasoned veterans is, at what point in the cabinet construction can it be considered "strong" for moving or for judging if it requires additional support, etc??
How was your french toast dear?
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Re: At what stage should the cabinet be "stable"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:54:16 pm »
What thickness and type of wood are you using.  Also are you using some kind of connecting boards between the pieces, batons or are just doing a but joint?  What type of fasteners Nails or Screws?

Teebor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 04:34:08 pm »
wood is 3/4 inch thick chip board

Connecting "blocks" are being used,  thinking about it a baton might have been a better idea but I use several of these small cut blocks

I am using screws of varying length depending on where I am attaching things

I was thining of just screwing straight from the flat panel into the cross section of the piece of wood that is butted up against it, but I am kind of talking myself out of that at the moment.
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 05:02:14 pm »
Full length batons, I would use 1x1 or 2x2 pine, will give you the stability you are looking for.  Using a but joint with screws into the edge of chip board will tend to make your wood split on the edge even if you pre-drill.  This is the case with most panels, MDF, Chipboard, Plywood, etc.  Screw into the batons from both panels about every 6-8 inches using 1 1/2 inch drywall screws.  That will give you a nice strong joint.  Then if you really want to be sure add construction adhesive to the joint just prior to installing the screws.

Don't over tighten the screws or one of two things might happen.  The screw head could snap off or the some of the chips under the screw head will pop up.  To avoid this use a counter sink drill bit and pre-drill the holes for the screws

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:01:09 pm »
Batons are easy, but they're also overkill in most cases. I've made cabinets from 3/4" plywood that will support 400+ pounds of weight... and they don't use a single baton (or screw)!

The important thing to realize here is that screws aren't that great. Especially in MDF, which seems to disintegrate around the screw rather than holding on tightly. The thing you want to use in addition to screws is Titebond wood glue. The joint produced by wood glue is often stronger than the surrounding wood! If you use both glue and screws, the cabinet should be considerably stronger than if you use only screws.

Teebor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:10:21 am »
I was hoping to avoid glue as if the cabinet needs to be moved I would rather unscrew it then have to destroy it (its an outsize monitor and will not fit through the doorway once constructed)

I have started to put on some batons and it seems to be more rigid but I am starting to get the impression that the 3/4 that I am using is very flexible as the joints do not move but the cabinet still seems to wobble a bit.

I will finish off putting on the batons (ran out of good length screws last night dammit) and see how it goes.  I also need to add some additional monitor supports still and that should help by acting as a brace within the cabinet so that may help.

Tbh this is giving me hours of entertainment, I have never worked with wood properly (beyond wood working at school :D ) and I am learning a heck of a lot.
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 11:41:13 am »
You may find that the cabinet gets more stable as you put it together. I've built quite a few cabinets from plywood. If you have four sides (top, bottom, left, right) the thing is often unstable no matter what you do. Add another side (the back) and the entire thing becomes rock solid. If your cabinet isn't the equivalent of a five-sided box yet, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still a bit unstable.

Hopefully, you're not going to make the cabinet completely without glue. At the very least, I'd secure the batons with both glue and screws. If disassembly will be a frequent occurance, you might want to think about using some threaded inserts (or T-nuts) and bolts for the assembly. Removing and re-inserting screws in wood tends to ream the hole out and it will quickly get to the point where it won't hold a screw well. If you've got screws that are spinning in their holes without seating firmly, that may also be part of your stability problem...

Teebor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 02:28:58 pm »
I've removed all the existing blocks and redone with batons and it is a little more stable than previously.

Chances are if I move again than the cabinet will be disposed of anyway (and its an excuse to create something new  ;D ) I was just thinking without glue it might be easier to dismantle.  Theres no harm in applying glue along one seem of the baton for a bit of added strength I guess.

I have noticed now that the joins with the batons do seem to be rock solid (no movement or very little) but the cabinet itself still has a hell of a wobble from the middle up, so I think the wood on the side panels is a bit more elastic then I gave credit.

I will cut the rear panel probably tomorrow (which won't be a door anyway now) and that should hopefully give the extra strength I am looking for.  Last thing to go on is going to be the top and I don't think thats going to be a key strength giver.

Who says gaming isn't educational??  LOL  I'm learning loads about woodworking.  Thanks for the feedback and tips so far guys its really appreciated.
Smelly and ungrateful
-American Dad

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 07:20:21 pm »
Listen to ScottS, he knows what he's talking about.

As for dismantling the cabinet, I would forget about it. Perhaps make the control panel so it can detach(especially if it's one of those large winged varieties). Once it's together, and painted, it won't come apart so well anyhow.