Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: router slot cutting arbor question and blade depth adjuster???  (Read 5142 times)

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
router slot cutting arbor question and blade depth adjuster???
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:01 pm »
I have a bosch 1/8" 3-wing slot cutting bit and the matching bosch arbor for a 1/4" shaft router and I was wondering if a Dewalt 2 slot 1/16" bit would work on the bosch arbor safely for both the wood and me everything about the 2 wing and 3 wing are the exact same size except one is 3 wing and one is 2 and the other is thicker then one but they are the same lengh blade style shaft hole etc. is all the same I just don't know if the 2 wing need's a clamp or brace or something or if it can just be put on the bosch arbor and be ready to go.

also how do I go about adjusting the depth of the blade the way this one is setup it is pretty much a shaft with 2 clamps that screw down and nothing to adjust depth really?

ScottS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
Re: router slot cutting arbor question and blade depth adjuster???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:55:09 pm »
Assuming the bit fits on the arbor and can be secured, everything should be fine. A 3-wing cutter will give you a slightly better cut than a 2-wing cutter, BTW.

Which depth do you want to adjust? The depth of the slot made by the cutter? Or the position of the slot on your board?

The depth of the slot is adjusted by changing the size of the bearing installed on the arbor. You do have a bearing, don't you? If not, your slot cutter was designed to be used with an edge guide; the edge guide will be used to adjust the depth of the cut in this case.

The position of the slot on your board should be adjusted on the router itself.

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:10:02 pm »
yes the 2 solt is the same mounting wise and shape wise as the 3 wing

I can adjust the height on the side by pushing and locking the plunge router at the level I need but I was wondering how deep should  go for standard T-Molding I used a T square and measure where the clamp guide is out to the farthest tip of the cutter blade and it is at a 1/2" depth is that too deep or not enough?

also I the arbor new and it did nt come with any bearing's it is a pole that one beveled clamp lay's on the the blade then anotehr clamp layed the otehr way down over the blase then it screw's down and then it is done I guess is a bearing better to have or will this still be fine I am using it on 3/4" mdf. 

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:41:35 pm »
I can adjust the height on the side by pushing and locking the plunge router at the level I need but I was wondering how deep should  go for standard T-Molding I used a T square and measure where the clamp guide is out to the farthest tip of the cutter blade and it is at a 1/2" depth is that too deep or not enough?

How deep are the barbs on your T-molding. Mine are just shy of 5/16", it looks like. I'd try that first, then maybe bump it up to 3/8" depending on the fit. 1/2" is probably too deep.

also I the arbor new and it did nt come with any bearing's it is a pole that one beveled clamp lay's on the the blade then anotehr clamp layed the otehr way down over the blase then it screw's down and then it is done I guess is a bearing better to have or will this still be fine I am using it on 3/4" mdf. 

??? You either need an arbor that accepts a bearing (and, of course, the bearing itself) or if your arbor won't accept a bearing then you need a router attachment called an "edge guide". You could also try making a guide rail, though I think it will be difficult to get the depth of the slot consistent. A bearing is by far the easiest way to go...

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:43:54 pm »
these are my parts I am dealing with

http://northerngames.myphotoalbum.com

I already spent like $18.00 on the arbor and $12.70 on the 1/8" slot only to find the slot blade is to wide and now I may need baring on top of that?

if so maybe I will try to take them all back since I did not use any of them yet.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:11 am »
You're going to need all of that stuff and a bearing. Basically, you want your setup to look like this. Notice the big silver bearing underneath the nut. That's the thing you're missing.

If you can return the stuff you've got, you can find everything cheaper online. Whiteside makes the best router bits. You can find them at routerbits.com. Or you could order the whole setup from t-molding.com for $27. Plus shipping.

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:27:41 pm »
yeah I already paid $28.00 just for arbor and the blsde and now I need a bearing also jeez lol

think the 2 wing will be alright on the 3/4" mdf?

also in the link you had sent on that bearing is both side's flat and flush on the bearing or does one end have a cylinder cone shape to it?

Rusty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2010, 10:46:24 am
  • Ow! Ow! Ow!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:42:51 pm »
MLCS generally has pretty good prices on router bits.  Here's a slot cutter, arbor, and bearing combo... http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_slot.html#438

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 02:04:05 pm »
I ended up getting these since I lost my lowes receipt and tossed the bag for the new bosch 1/8" cutter blade  :banghead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330076561194&rd=1&rd=1

well thank's for the help guy's I now should be able to adjust the height by using the plunge router and with that bearing set I can adjust the blade cutting depth.

my last concern is it safe to use the 2 wing I know a 3 wing would cut faster but the 2 wing is all I have in 1/16" and don't want the side's to shatter into peice's if it is not going to cut the T-slot in the 3/4" mdf right.

I guess I could just try it on junk wood but also would like opion's of experiance so eveything can go as smooth as possible for me thank's.

well i just found out I got the wrong size I needed now so still need the bearing's lol.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:02:10 pm by northerngames »

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 05:08:26 pm »
I wouldn't use a two-wing cutter, but obviously the manufacturer doesn't think it's a problem. They're designed for cutting slots in hardwoods, so MDF shouldn't be a problem. Given the problems you're having assembling a working cutter, it doesn't sound like you have much experience using a router. I'd be more concerned about that than about the slot cutter grenading...

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 06:38:54 pm »
no i have done many control panels and cabinet work with router's but all the bit's I usually bought come ready to use and I am just getting into cutting my own T-slot's instead of having a local do it the router I have costed like $120.00 and everything and bit I tired on it so far run's very smooth with no skipping hoppin or bouncing etc.

I did a few 4 player control panels that turned out excellent with 3/4" particle board but I either used a edge shaper bit or paid to have somebody do the slot's if I wanted the T-molding.

I probably will just buy another 1/16" but get a 3 wing instead of the 2 and find a bearing set for various size's I just don't want to go and ruin my work the bottom took a bit of time to get everything perfect and I did so I would hate to run down the side and tear it up really bad and that is why I am asking before diving in lol.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:40:50 pm by northerngames »

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 09:57:05 pm »
well I ended up ordering the correct bearing and a 1/16" 3 wing slot cutter from http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_slot.html#438 as posted above and used my arbor from the prior picture's and ended up with a nice working slot cutter rig thank's to you guy's and this is what it made me do lol

not too bad of router and cutting skill's ehh?

my 4-player make's this one look small still though lol.

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 06:19:44 pm »
Looks great.  But why so 2003?