Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Saw For Tight Spots  (Read 7146 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Best Saw For Tight Spots
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:36:11 pm »
Can anyone give me a suggestion as to the best saw I can find that can cut through 3/4 MDF in tight spaces.  Too often I find that my jigsaw wont fit in to where I need to cut...

Also...any suggestions on something to ROUTE with in confined spaces would help.

Thanks!
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

ScottS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
Re: Best Saw For Tight Spots
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:43:46 pm »
Define tight: no room to move left or right? Up or down? In and out? Are you looking for a hand tool or a power tool?

Best suggestion for routing in tight spots is a trim router. If the trim router won't fit, I think your only other option is a Dremel tool, perhaps with their router base attachment.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
Power tool... for example,  to get in to the marqee area to cut out speaker holes...

Something with a jigsaw end but more shaped like a large pencil or something would be kickass...or a plasma cutter for wood!

:o)
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 02:42:43 pm »
Have you looked at a Rotozip?

ScottS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 02:58:42 pm »
I think your best bet is to use a trim router.

If you just want to rough cut a hole and aren't too particular about the results, you might try a RotoZip. Everybody I know that's tried one on wood has been disappointed, but if you're just roughing something in the results might be acceptable.

If you don't have much to do, you could try the Dremel.

You could look into power carving tools, though I'm not sure how accurate they'd be. Something like the Merlin from King Arthur's Tools or maybe some sort of flex-shaft carver? I think there's an attachment you can get for some flex-shaft carvers that adds a reciprocating blade to the end of the shaft.

You might investigate using a pneumatic cut-off wheel. Not sure if you can get wood-cutting blades for them, but the ones that use little 3" or 4" wheels are pretty small.

Proxxon makes lots of miniature tools. They're typically used by jewelers and people building scale models (think: wooden ships). I get the impression that they're pretty pricey and of limited utility when building full-scale projects, but it might be worth a look.