Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 36" Medium Res Monitor as a TV?  (Read 2118 times)

zelony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2019, 04:00:12 pm
    • Green Chavez Law Firm
36" Medium Res Monitor as a TV?
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:43:29 am »
Hi all,

I recently swapped out my 36” Neotec Medium Resolution monitor with a 36” SVGA monitor (Gateway Destination DL36).  My old monitor is a Neotec NT-3501, fixed resolution of 640 X 350 at 24.8 KHz.  The picture on this tube was amazing before I pulled it.

So, I put the old tube in the Gateway monitor’s case and would like to use the monitor as a TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert an NTSC signal to 24.8KHz RGB? 

I would prefer not to have to use a computer as an intermediary.  The main reason being that my wife wants to use it and would not like having to deal with a computer.

If someone know where to buy and adapter, that would be great.  If someone knows how to make one, share the schematics please.  I am not overly concerned about the cost, so all suggestions are fine.

Thanks,

Jeff

albert_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2010, 03:57:07 pm
Re: 36" Medium Res Monitor as a TV?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:09:13 pm »
So, did you de-case the gateway destination and put it on the frame of your old neotec?  Sounds like the gateway came apart pretty easily.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  I have a 36" RGB monitor that looks really nice but the games I want to play on it run on native VGA.   

zelony

• Offline Offline
    • Green Chavez Law Firm
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »
That's exactly what I did.  The gateway came apart very easy.  However, the Gateway (made by Toshiba) tube was much heavier and the neck was longer.  The back of the arcade chassis would not clear the neck, so I had to use some washers to get it to clear.  Also, the chassis board for the gateway is huge and barely fit within the new frame, it actually sits at an angle.

I was too lazy to configure windows to run at 640X350 and I want to be able to play modern PC games on this system, so I bought the Gateway monitor.  Besides, this way I have a spare 36" tube if the Gateway dies. hehe.

What I really want is the Hitachi 37" Plasma with the 4:3 aspect ratio.  But they are rare and expensive.  If I ever see one for $1,000 or less, I will probably by it for my MAME cabinet.  Nothing against CRT's, but I prefer the newer technology.  Besides, the Hitachi plasma is 1024 X 768 native!

Jeff

albert_c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2010, 03:57:07 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:37:06 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Disp-CMP307XU-Plasma-Display/dp/B00006HNTX

I didn't know 4:3 plasma monitors existed.  I wonder if there is any video lag for games.

zelony

• Offline Offline
    • Green Chavez Law Firm
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:17:29 am »
Does anyone know if I could just swap out the chassis with a different one?  Maybe with a TV chassis or a low res board?  That might be easier.

I had no trouble swapping the chassis on my daughter's 25" monitor, but I knew that the other chassis came from another similar 25" monitor.

Any ideas on what chassis would drive a 36" Neotec med. resolution tube?

Thanks again,

Jeff