Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pipe Dream?  (Read 3641 times)

Mctittles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2007, 05:14:40 pm
Pipe Dream?
« on: January 04, 2007, 04:07:43 am »
Hello all!  I'm new here, but have read tons of posts over the last week or so.  Anyway for my first post I'm looking for advice (of course!).  I'm working on the measurements and such for a rotating panel arcade, that looks like it's going to look fine.  But...I'd really need to have an option for 4 players.  I've been going round and round trying to come up with a fold-out or otherwise attached 4 player controls and haven't come up with anything that looks like it will work.  Here's what I have so far...but it's not going to work :(

Here's a two player control panel with a hinged wing attached to the side.  Of course there would be a matching wing on the other side.  There are many problems I see with this, but first a few more pics in case you can't see how it goes..

Here is how it will rotate out.  The part in blue is a chunk of wood that will be attached to the main control panel and hinged to the wing.

And here is how it will look fully extended.  First off, I don't like it because it's ugly, but if it could work I could live with it.  Adding some smart color schemes could fix that.
As far as problems, mainly I think it would break, since the hing is the only area for support and leaning on it might break the wood.  If I knew what to buy I was thinking of countering this with some kind of metal attached to the wing that would be attached to the hing instead of just wood on hinge.  That and maybe some 'kickstand' type pullouts underneat that rest the left side weight against the cab.
But even with these fixes it still wouldn't work because...

If you look at this side profile of the rotating control panel (ignore the floating joystick up in the left!), you can make out that all of the other control panels clear the monitor only by about 1" or so.  With the added wing folded down over the panel, this adds too much room to the top and I would need to move the monitor up further, add more space right above the panel, move my locking door box thing at the bottom down further, and make the hinged panel pull out further.  All things not in the plan...
Anyway, this is a crazy plan but I need my 4 player somehow!  I thought I'd see if anyone on here has an idea for a better way.  If I can't get it integrated into the thing then at the least I'll make wings that can attach into slots on the side of it.  Thanks for any help!

-Shawn

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
Re: Pipe Dream?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:19:02 am »
some suggestions.  first weigh the options on how often you will be playing 4 player games.  Then look at these options.

For a panel your size having built in players 3+4 is going to be near impossible.  i am in the same boat as you.  (im not going to be rotating tho so i might just cut the cab and make it fit a bigger control setup.)

ive seen many people here just use joypads for players 3&4.  plug them in to an accessible usb port when you need them.

if you still want the arcade feel.  why not build some removable unit.  a joystick box that has a hook on the side that you can just hang on the side of the cab when you need them.  have them hook into a usb port or something custom.  By making it an enclosed box you will have more support then just the hinge.  you could also add a small wood "shelf" (1-2") on the outside of the cab to support it. 

I think the folding out setup is not going to be practical for what you are looking to accomplish

Good Luck

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 02:00:42 pm »
I agree. Not practical. Not to mention the wiring will be kinda ugly, and the whole unit might be a bit flimsy.

Good idea though...

Mctittles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 05:29:17 pm »
Thanks for the input guys!
first weigh the options on how often you will be playing 4 player games.
I live in a house with 3 other roomates who are all gamers so 4 player is a must.
why not build some removable unit.
I think I have no other choice but to go this route, although having removable things kind of takes away from the point of having a rotating panel.  This way I could have slots on the side and have it connect that way.  I know I've seen some type of metal connectors that slide into place and lock but can't think of where to get something like this.  Like...think of the headrest on car seats.  This is a lame example but it locks into place where you put it and most can be completely removed.  Something along those lines to lock into the side of the cabinet.
Another question for the experienced on here.  What would you suggest I use to connect the wires on the removable?  Has anyone tried using...um computer card slot things.  Like how you plug your video/sound card etc into the PC.  In the old days I think they were called "gold fingers", might still be today.  I know you can order many sizes from electronic places but not sure how difficult this would be to set up.  That way it takes out the extra cord you would have to plug in.  If I did go with cords though, would you suggest ribbon cables?  I'd rather not have to put an i-PAC in each of the things...
I agree. Not practical. Not to mention the wiring will be kinda ugly, and the whole unit might be a bit flimsy.
Yea, I think you are right.  With enough time I might be able to come up with something, but I don't really have the time to spend redesigning my rotator and all that.  This idea is probably something I should save for after I've at least got one cabinet under my belt.

Thanks for all the help guys!

-Shawn

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:37:47 pm »
I think what you really want is Doc's Modular Mame. Find it in the "Hall of Fame" part of the "Examples" area. A really nice piece of work! And much more practical than rotating control panels...

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:38:27 pm »
What about something that slides out from the middle of the rotating piece? Instead of flipping down, the joystick would slide out like a drawer from the side of the cabinet.

Mctittles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:04:40 pm »
I think what you really want is Doc's Modular Mame.
Yea, that is a sweet deal with all the panels and such.  Not something I would want though.  I want as much permanetally attached to the arcade as possible.  I came up with all kinds of ideas for stuff until I found 1-ups rotator which eventually led me to find this one
http://www.marksarcade.com/
Which I'm using as a slight model for mine.  The 4-player part is the only kink, but it's a BIG one...
What about something that slides out from the middle of the rotating piece?
You know, that is a pretty great idea, and something I tested in 3d already and couldn't get it to work.  One problem is that there is the room to fit all the joysticks into that slot as a fold-out is pretty tight.  The main reason I ditched this line of thinking though is that you would have to stand back from the aracade quite a bit further to play.  And if you want the extra players to the side of you, there would still need to be a fold-out of some sort :(

screaming

• Offline Offline
  • Registered lUser
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:24:05 pm »
ok.. i have another idea. It's hard to explain, but we'll see how well I do.

You have players 3/4 flipping from the inside-up-and-out. What if you had them flipping from the outside-up?  Then the "wings" could actually be flush with the side of the cabinet and you could support it better by using sides on the wings (so when you flipped them down the sides of the wings went into the cabinet).

That would make the folded out wings look almost like they are in your 3d diagram, meaning they would be at the right height and distance from the monitor... right?

Edit: let me see if I can find an illustration of what I'm talking about.  Please hold.

Mctittles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:29:47 pm »
Looks like we think alike.  If I'm reading you right that is pretty similar to the first idea I had come up with for 4 players.  Actually before I decided on making a rotating panel, except I was thinking they fold forward from toward the back of the arcade so the joysticks wouldn't be sticking out from the sides.  The problem I run into now is with the rotator.  It wouldn't be able to rotate with joysticks inside the panel.  I could have them on the sides and make them flip up, but then there would be joysticks sticking out from the side of the arcade at all times...

screaming

• Offline Offline
  • Registered lUser
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 06:30:57 pm »
yeah, having the joysticks stick out was what I was thinking.

Edit:  but on the other hand, you'll have easy access to underneath the joystick if you want to take the handles out when they're in the way. It's kind of a hassle, but may be worth it since you'll realistically be playing 4p games only when you have 3 other people over.. which you'd be able to prepare for anyway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:35:01 pm by screaming »

Mctittles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 06:40:34 pm »
Would definetally be the easiest of options so far.  I could use table locks like they have when you fold up a leaf on the end.  Unfortunetally I just think it would be too ugly having the wings shown permanent on the sides.  With it built into the rotator I was thinking that if we are doing 4 player, it's folded out and looks ok, and other games it will be rotated in where you don't see it....

screaming

• Offline Offline
  • Registered lUser
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 06:42:13 pm »
good point.. :dunno

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 08:17:59 pm »
I think what you really want is Doc's Modular Mame.
I want as much permanetally attached to the arcade as possible.

Why? It only takes a few seconds to completely redo the layout (assuming everything you're changing is USB-based). Are you really going to flip between games so quickly that you need 5 dedicated panels on a complex rotating gizmo?

FYI, here's the easy solution to your problem: make the whole damn cabinet wider! Then you can have one panel with all of the 4-player controls you want. Layouts with the other panels may also be less cramped. Since you're considering flip-out panels, I'm assuming you already have the space for a wider cabinet. The cost in additional wood shouldn't be that much. Just have to make sure that the cabinet isn't so deep that you can't slide it through a door sideways...

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 10:12:04 pm »
FYI, here's the easy solution to your problem: make the whole damn cabinet wider!

Theres a winner. Make a showcase to make it lighter. I built a showcase so I could use a huge tv.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 06:20:55 am »

Ok, heres an Idea...

Imagine a  Pull-Down  panel-set.    Like a Babys Car seat lockdown bar.   

A U-shaped  panel,  who's pivot is on each side of the cab.

When not in use, They would lock at an angle level with the top of
the cab.   

Since you will see the bottom of it,  you could actually insert speakers there,
so while not beiing used for 2 extra players.. at least it will play
sounds  :)   

And if you really want to get crazy, you could even make the
thing telescopic...  and thus can extend the panel behind the players
when its raised,  and acts as a surround sound speaker set.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 09:09:15 am »
Why not just build multiple cabs with different control panels?  You could build the Project Arcade panel first because I think that allows for the most amount of games to be played on one panel and then determine the next set of games that will get the most play and go from there on a new cab. 

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:05 pm »
Why not just build multiple cabs with different control panels?

Better yet, build multiple independent cabs but allow them to be linked together to play the same game! Here's how I imagine it would work:

Cab A would be the "main" cabinet. It would need a video card with the capability to display the same image on multiple monitors. It would also need a external input capable of accepting controls for Players 3 and 4. Doc's trick of using Cat5 cable and RJ45 connectors might work well here.

Cab B would need a monitor capable of displaying video from two different sources (the computer in the cab, or the computer in Cab A). You could use a computer monitor with multiple inputs for buy some sort of VGA switch. You'd need to wire up the controls such that they went to the Player 1 and 2 inputs in Cab B and also had an external connector that could be connected to Cab A as Player 3 and 4. You'd probably want to send the controls either to Cab A or Cab B, but not both. That might argue for another switch of some sort.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 05:20:07 pm »
Why not just build multiple cabs with different control panels?

Better yet, build multiple independent cabs but allow them to be linked together to play the same game! Here's how I imagine it would work:

Cab A would be the "main" cabinet. It would need a video card with the capability to display the same image on multiple monitors. It would also need a external input capable of accepting controls for Players 3 and 4. Doc's trick of using Cat5 cable and RJ45 connectors might work well here.

Cab B would need a monitor capable of displaying video from two different sources (the computer in the cab, or the computer in Cab A). You could use a computer monitor with multiple inputs for buy some sort of VGA switch. You'd need to wire up the controls such that they went to the Player 1 and 2 inputs in Cab B and also had an external connector that could be connected to Cab A as Player 3 and 4. You'd probably want to send the controls either to Cab A or Cab B, but not both. That might argue for another switch of some sort.

Awesome! I'll finally be able to play Galaxian3
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7889&letter=G

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 01:38:58 pm »
I think that really defeats his plan.

the 2 options are go with some sort of extra box on the sides, or build it wider

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 07:22:15 pm »
I think that really defeats his plan.

the 2 options are go with some sort of extra box on the sides, or build it wider

I disagree.

He could use gamepads, some sort of modular option or even use some sort of multiple display option. And thats just the options I could think of...

Mctittles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 07:32:25 pm »
Hey all, thanks for the comments.  Lots of interesting ideas here.  I started building this weekend and am going with the option to attach two extra players to the side of the machine as it was the most sound option I could come up with at the time.  Maybe I'll make changes to it later.  So far building it is going good.  Although it took up most the day to transfer my odd multi-control panel 5 sided shape to wood!  Got the sides up, the rotator, and the back wood cut, so from here it's mostly easier rectangle cuts and wiring.  Hope I have time to finish and order my artwork this week!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 07:49:40 pm »
Hey all, thanks for the comments.  Lots of interesting ideas here.  I started building this weekend and am going with the option to attach two extra players to the side of the machine as it was the most sound option I could come up with at the time.  Maybe I'll make changes to it later.  So far building it is going good.  Although it took up most the day to transfer my odd multi-control panel 5 sided shape to wood!  Got the sides up, the rotator, and the back wood cut, so from here it's mostly easier rectangle cuts and wiring.  Hope I have time to finish and order my artwork this week!

You make a Project Announcement? Have you taken pictures? You must share!

Mctittles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 09:11:10 pm »
I'll make a new project post and show a link shortly.  Too busy right now to upload my pics but I have been taking some of the progress!