Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: '720 Degrees'.... Red Cabinet??  (Read 2690 times)

spriggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
'720 Degrees'.... Red Cabinet??
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:04:04 pm »
I should hopefully be picking up an excellent nic '720 Degrees' cab next week.   Been looking for one down here in kangaroo-land for years..  Many memories!   :'(

However, she's in a red laminate cabinet, as opposed to the gray version I seem to see now and agin over the net (including KLOV)..   Anyone else seen a red one before?

It is possible that Leisure and Allied Australia (main OZ distributor in the 80's), imported the 720 kit and built their own cabinet.  They used to do this, on license, to save on shipping whole cabinets from the US.  The lack of side-art also leans me towards this theory...

Anyway... the red question stands!? ???

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:04:13 am by spriggy »
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
Re: '720 Degress'.... Red Cabinet??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:11:11 am »
In the US, I'd assume it's a re-paint, but in Oz, who knows?  You're just lucky the thing didin't fall off the bottom of the earth.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 01:51:17 pm »
I'm going to assume it's not uncommon for game operators to re-do the sides of scratched up, dirty games.  Back in the 90's I went to DisneyLand and in their huge arcade 90% of their games has their sides re-done in colored laminate.
NO MORE!!

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 07:51:45 pm »
I'm going to assume it's not uncommon for game operators to re-do the sides of scratched up, dirty games.  Back in the 90's I went to DisneyLand and in their huge arcade 90% of their games has their sides re-done in colored laminate.

It could just be something as simple as that RayB!  Maybe I'm just looking for some conspiratory wank about an ultra-rare red 720!  :P   Wake up sprigg you idiot!! ::)
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

spriggy

• Offline Offline
Re: '720 Degrees'.... Red Cabinet??
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:03:41 am »
I should hopefully be picking up an excellent nic '720 Degrees' cab next week.   Been looking for one down here in kangaroo-land for years..  Many memories!   :'(

However, she's in a red laminate cabinet, as opposed to the gray version I seem to see now and agin over the net (including KLOV)..   Anyone else seen a red one before?

It is possible that Leisure and Allied Australia (main OZ distributor in the 80's), imported the 720 kit and built their own cabinet.  They used to do this, on license, to save on shipping whole cabinets from the US.  The lack of side-art also leans me towards this theory...

Anyway... the red question stands!? ???

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:55:57 am by Peale »

dek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2011, 01:23:33 am
  • Banana Cognac!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:01:55 pm »
Re-paint, guaranteed.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 02:41:09 pm »
Probably repainted, but since you guys didn't get dedicated cabinets for many games, it COULD be a local build from a kit, and red from the start.  Only you will know once you get it.

I saw another red one once, but again I didn't see it closely enough to know if it came that way.  I seem to remember it WAS overseas from the US though, which supports your theory about the local builds in red.

Whichever...  good luck!  720 is a great game and is waiting in my garage for restoration.  It's at the TOP of my want list.

Wade

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:29:49 pm »
Cheers Wade.  Long time no speak!  :)

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 11:11:31 pm »
Hey Spriggy!  Yeah, I have only been popping my head in here on occasion lately.  Still have a lot of game stuff going on, just not hanging here as much because it encourages me to tinker with my MAME cabinet. :)  Hey, you probably didn't know, but we have a baby girl on the way!  Our first! :)

Wade

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 11:34:56 pm »
... Hey, you probably didn't know, but we have a baby girl on the way!  Our first! :)

Wade

HEY...well done you fertile monkey!! :cheers:

Yeh... I've been away for quite a while until recently.  The stupid illness crap came back... but all's good now!!  Hence, work on the house was delayed.  Full steam ahead now!!  ie Retain and finish the backyard.... Outdoor Spa... Outdoor entertaining area with LCD tv etc.... 4 the gamesroom - 80's Pinball machine to go with my 'Cosmic Guerilla' UR (when restored).. and 720 of course.... which is what this semi-hijacked thread is all about! :P  :blah:
Trying to organise a time to check it out this arvo.  Let's find out if this ---smurf--- is painted, relaminated or original!!??Good to hear from you and congrats again to u and the lady!!
I'll have a beer or 6 for ya!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:37:51 pm by spriggy »

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 11:42:25 am »
Hey Spriggy, thanks!  It's our first baby (not just our first girl if that wasn't clear) so we're pretty excited, and scared too! ;)

I looked at that 720 pic more closely, and there are several differences between the US version, so I'm betting it was red originally.  The other one I saw pictures of (unless it is the SAME one) had the odd coin door as well.  Since the fan grill on the side isn't painted, I'm betting this was red originally.

If I got it, I think I would leave it red as original, if it proves to be unpainted.  Might stick sideart on it if you want, but I wouldn't "convert" it to the silver US spec.  Your choice though!!

Glad to hear things are good with you guys and you're moving forward with some projects.  My game selection has grown a lot, but I need to fix up an extra room in my basement next door to the main gameroom to house the new games.  Right now it is impossible to play billiards.  Starting that new project is just days away (we are finishing up on our nursery right now).  It'll be sweet when the new gameroom is done!

TTYL!
Wade

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 05:23:44 am »
Well...  :banghead: ....  Checked out the supposed "immaculate" 720 this arvo..  Damn.. some people are full of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!!  :angry:

Cabinet was in good strong nick.  No wood damage... but thats about it.

The joystick needs a definate rebuild... artwork is very yellowed and looks quite awful, hence new overlays are required, as well as sideart......  Broken speaker box plexi Terrible humming noise from the speakers, hence fault finding required (could be old or bad wiring... bad shielding ... tiring monitor overworking and interferring with speakers.. :blah:)... plus... the monitor appears to be on it's last legs!!! >:(  .... and hence.. he want's too much for it!!  Not bad for an "immaculate machine"..

Fricken shaved chimp needs to open his eyes me thinks  :angry:

The sides are red laminate and in good nick.  The coin door is not original (aussie style and not the original two tiered doors). ... However the red laminate around the coin door is in the same condition and color shade as the sides.   A few other differences as well (coin box etc.)

So... I'll go the locally built cabinet with a 720 kit as the likely source.

Not for me... case closed!

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 08:45:26 pm »
Hey Spriggy!

How much did he want for it?

I gotta say though, I have never seen an original 720 in really nice shape.  Every one I have seen had yellowed/gold CP and boombox, and I don't think it was caused by smoking.  Joysticks can be cleaned up and lubed, etc.  I mean, new artwork is a given, even if you find a "nice" 720.  And usually a working but beat up one goes for roughly $500... so with new art it can easily be $700+.

I do have dupes of most of the parts though.  I have the metal and sticker for the boombox, and an extra CP with "most" of a joystick.  So if you DO decide to scratch build, I could probably source ya the parts.  I'm just going to put all new repro stuff on mine (they are all golden, and I already have a repro CP overlay - just need the side and boombox).

TTYL!
Wade

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 11:35:28 pm »
Wade'o,

(all in aussie dollars)
I got him down to $800 for the 'immaculate' machine!!! :tool: 

Add $600-700 plus shipping for a 25" monitor down here in Perth,  $300 plus shipping for repro cpo, speaker box and sideart... plus other ancillary...   I'd be up for an easy $1000+ .... hence my non-interest.  My small workshop is already full enough with a few machines (3 machines = full  :P ).  With at least 3 months of flat-out work to get the house COMPLETELY done... with all my toys as well  ;D...... I'm not interested in another project yet.  I really just wanted something that was nice and clean I could just give a general service and chuck in the gamesroom.

Oh well.... something will come up again.   In fact I just came across a 'Sprint 2' down here.  Lots of good memories on that beast as well. 

We'll see!!

Thanx 4 the offer anyway dude..

Later

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 08:26:15 am »
I don't know the US->Australia exchange (looks to be about 2:3?), but I understand your frustration about it not being as described!  That happens a lot, and the only defense is to go into it expecting the worst!

I know how it is not to want any more projects, in fact I always have too many and sometimes I get tired of the queue and just start dumping stuff or giving it away.  But it would be hard to pass up a 720, IMO.  And if it is roughly $500-600 US and works, that is a "fair" price!

What is wrong with the monitor?  Buying a brand new 25" EGA monitor would be pretty extreme.  Usually the chassis can be repaired for a reasonable amount.  There's a guy here in the US that works on my 25" EGA monitor chassis' (some are really oddball models) and it's a huge relief, considering how many monitor problems I've had previously.

Obviously, I need to get started on my 720 restoration... ;)

TTYL!
Wade

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 05:26:20 am »
Hey spriggy,

It's a real pain living in Perth when it comes to getting cabs.  80% of them seem to be on the east coast and the ones in perth are so expensive and quite poor quality.  Have you thought about having a chat to Filtek - you can tell them what you're after and they'll let you know if they ever come across one.  Might even be able to tell you how much you might expect to pay.  I'm hoping that once I get back to Perth (which will be mid '08) and manage to find the new family home it will have enough space for some games I can then collect a few favourites.

Good luck on the hunting.

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 05:52:28 am »
Hey spriggy,

It's a real pain living in Perth when it comes to getting cabs.  80% of them seem to be on the east coast and the ones in perth are so expensive and quite poor quality.  Have you thought about having a chat to Filtek - you can tell them what you're after and they'll let you know if they ever come across one.  Might even be able to tell you how much you might expect to pay.  I'm hoping that once I get back to Perth (which will be mid '08) and manage to find the new family home it will have enough space for some games I can then collect a few favourites.

Good luck on the hunting.

G'day cd,

Russ closed down Filtek about 12 months or so ago.. Jump on the website and see what happened.  http://www.arcadegames.net/aboutus.htm..  Quite sad actually.

Russ was a nice guy just a bit pricey, that's all.  (don't know him personally, just dealings)...

Hence, that leaves Perth with ZERO shop fronts that soley deal with Arcade Cab's and Pinnies..

There are a few little nooks and crannies still around... oh.. and the occassional auction.....but nothing to scream about!  Mind you.. I haven't been to those N&C's for over 12 months... so maybe they don't exist either! ???

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- happens!! :-\

Cheers

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 07:25:52 am »
Well it was about 12months ago that I left perth for the bright lights and recycled water of London so that would have been about the last time I had any interest in the local market.  Tis a shame, but it seems he's got his priorities right and everything is working out for him and the family.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to drop him a quick email to see if he has any contacts out there that may come across a 720 machine. 

Sometimes I really do wonder what has happened to all those machines over the years - there were so many arcades in Perth, you'd only have to walk around the corner and you'd be faced with another timezone or orbit (still kicking on I hope).  The first big hit was the closure of the Timezone warehouse in welshpool - knew things were in bad shape when that happened.

If I happen to come across anything while I'm back in perth for the first 3 weeks in Feb I be sure to let you know.

:cheers:
-cdbrown