Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Questions about routers.  (Read 4436 times)

steveh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
Questions about routers.
« on: December 26, 2006, 08:57:19 am »
I currently Own this Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-MT1405B-2-Cordless-Multi-Tool/dp/B00006S7D1

I purchased it about 2-3 years ago.  I was looking for a cheep drill and the price was right for the kit.  It has a router attachment, and a circular saw attachment.

is this any good for Building an Arcade Machine. 

Or should I look at better tools.

I had my eye on this router.  (as again the price is right)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109589-353-1825

what do you recomend?

bb040

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2020, 03:11:01 pm
  • ok what ever
Re: Questions about routers.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:33:06 am »
buy the router...allways use the right tool for the job

steveh

• Offline Offline
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:09 am »
That is a good rule to follow,  Why would you think that the router attachment to my drill kit (which i already own) is not the right tool..  also is that router i picked out a good one? or is it a pos

bb040

• Offline Offline
  • ok what ever
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:17:46 am »
I don't think the stuff you have will stand up to what you are doing it may be ok for once in a blue moon stuff but I don't think the router part will turn the rpms that you will need ...As far as the skill router it's very capable of doing every thing you need. A nice entry level router , it will serve you well.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 12:11:05 pm »
Neither of these tools is particularly good. They're probably fine for occasional use, but if you want to do woodworking more regularly, you'd be better off investing in a decent router (read: Bosch, DeWalt, Porter-Cable).

steveh

• Offline Offline
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 08:30:41 am »
will i get poor cuts from it?  or will it just die faster?  Im not really sure how often i will use it (probably not very) but i also dont want to purchase a pos.  what would i get from a more expensive model that i would not get from this one?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 10:36:40 am »
buy the router...allways use the right tool for the job

This is the best advice any new woodworker can get (other than wear your safety glasses, know how to operate your tools and be super super careful).  The right tool for the right job makes life so much easier AND SAFER.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 11:29:27 pm »
will i get poor cuts from it?  or will it just die faster?  Im not really sure how often i will use it (probably not very) but i also dont want to purchase a pos.  what would i get from a more expensive model that i would not get from this one?

Probably both: poor cut quality (due to excessive vibration or the spindle not running true) and an early death. You may also find that a cheap router doesn't work with certain accessories (e.g. template guide, dust collection).

Remember: if you're not sure about a tool, the best thing to do is buy it locally and return it if it ends up being a piece of crap...

steveh

• Offline Offline
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:05:03 am »
ok i guess ill hold off till im ready to use it.  then buy something, and try it out.  thx for the advice

bb040

• Offline Offline
  • ok what ever
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 12:59:07 am »
as for brands ...you get what you pay for......my routers  are made by potercable,makita and ryobi...they make craftsman routers if you didn't know ...and you being new at this ....yes you could buy a really expensive router and it would everything you could ever think of doing with a router ...as soon as you learn how to use it BUT unless your going to get hard core on it , it might be a waste of money...regardless of what router you buy use good bits, carbide tips...the router is only as good as the bits..take your time and let the tool do the work...you can allways trade up later when you know what you are doing

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 02:23:56 pm »
and you being new at this ....yes you could buy a really expensive router and it would everything you could ever think of doing with a router ...as soon as you learn how to use it BUT unless your going to get hard core on it , it might be a waste of money...

Unfortunately, there's a fine line between spending too much on a tool and spending too little. If you spend too much... well, you've spent too much. The tool will work well and do everything you ask of it, but it may be far more durable or more capable than you need. If you spend too little, you end up with a piece of crap that will never work right, may ruin projects, or otherwise be frustrating to use.

Here's the thing: while an experienced woodworker may be able to get an inferior tool to produce good results, an inexperienced woodworker probably won't have the skills to necessary to achieve the same thing! So it makes sense to spend the money to get a decent tool. Maybe not the biggest, or the most expensive, or the most powerful but make sure that you're not buying a piece of crap either.

bb040

• Offline Offline
  • ok what ever
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 02:31:12 pm »
Maybe not the biggest, or the most expensive, or the most powerful but make sure that you're not buying a piece of crap either........DITTO

steveh

• Offline Offline
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 03:47:26 pm »
so do you guys have any recommendations of something to get for a novice (preferably something that is sold at lowes or homedepot.)

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 05:46:59 pm »
Think cheap - sales - blow outs.  It doesn't take much to make a mame cab.   MDF is very easy to work with.  Your bits might cost more than the router.  The worst routers out there are Harbor freight and they will work fine.

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 11:27:24 am »
so do you guys have any recommendations of something to get for a novice (preferably something that is sold at lowes or homedepot.)

Any router made by a well-known company should be decent: Bosch, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Makita, Milwaukee, etc. Kits that include both a fixed base and a plunge base are nice if you think you'll end up using the router a lot. For MAME cabinet work, you don't need a lot of horsepower. A 1HP or 1.5HP router is plenty and ends up being easier to control than a bigger 2.25HP or 3HP router.

holtdoa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2007, 03:00:29 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:13:12 am »
I managed to get a Hitachi 2.25 HP fixed/plunge router kit(km12vc)  on EBay for $113.50. It was from a pawn shop, but is in great shape and even came with a few bits (none of which I've used, bought 1 of each when WoodCraft had their $5 special). After using it to duplicate a complex cut from a piece of furniture I'm building for my Daughter, I'm building jigs for every cut I can dream up. I may never again use my saws for anything but building jigs! ;D

You can do some snooping around and find a good deal on a good router and have something that will make your life easier. Worse case, buy it off EBay, use it, and put it back on EBay!

Even better make your next project a CNC Router. Of course once you get it perfected, send me the plans  8)

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 02:11:09 am »
You certainly get what you pay for. The Skil router you linked to was give an award by fine woodworking as best value in a router kit. Not best, mind you (that went to the bosch 1617EVSPK), but best value, as in best bang for the $$. I'd consider it good for building an acrade cab or 2.

Here's the Bosch router I'm talking about. I have it, use it daily for a year now and am head over heels in love with it. That's also a very good price for all the extra accessories that come with it. I recommend getting it from amazon as opposed to lowes or hd. No taxes, lower price and free shipping. It's how I get 98% of all my tools.

I say if you're only ever going to build one cabinet then get the skil. If you have even the slightest thought that you'll build something in the future, save your pennies and get the Bosch. You will thank yourself in the end. Also, the Bosch holds resell value very good, as opposed to the skil. That is if you ever decide to sell your tools.

A router is the single most versatile power tool one can buy and use, so a router is the one place I would not pinch pennies on.

@holtdna: Indeed; jigs increase a router's versatility by 1000%.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

steveh

• Offline Offline
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11:09 pm »
where can i read reviews on routers? or better yet the reviews you are talking about.

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:32 pm »
2 good places are www.amazon.com (just type in the model # in the search bar), or www.woodnet.net click on the forums. There's a lot of mention of what routers to buy there. Or just ask me  :cheers:

I read about routers a lot so I know what's decent out there.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.