Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommend router bits to get started  (Read 4300 times)

Druxar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2007, 02:17:02 pm
Recommend router bits to get started
« on: December 21, 2006, 10:50:21 pm »
FOr someone just buying a router and no real idea what it can do or what use it will eventually bring (open mind), what would be some recommended router bits to have (besides the one that is the whole cause of a router purchase, a 1/16 slot).
There are various bit sets up to a few hundred dollars...to a new person is it more worth the money to just buy individual bits - are all the bits in those big sets similar and only useful for hard core wood workers?
What type of bits would make a good starter setup?   I've heard mention of spiral, flush trimming, maybe something to do a rounded edge, but its' all a blur.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
Re: Recommend router bits to get started
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:15:57 pm »
1.  Slot cutter
2.  Flush cutting bit
3.  Pattern cutting bit
4.  Dado cutter
5.  Spiral

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 12:15:59 am »
My advice is not to buy a big set of bits. They're normally complete crap and you'll never use half of them anyway. Buy the bits you need for the project at hand. Whiteside makes the best bits. I buy them at RouterBits.com.

If you have to buy a set, read Fine Woodworking's article on the "10 essential router bits". I think that Woodcraft has a page that lists these bits ten bits. Have to admit that I own a bunch of bits. The only ones I use are the slot cutter, rabbet set, and a few straight bits.

spiffykyle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:22:54 pm »
The bits I use most often are:

Straight (1/4" and 3/8")
Flush trim
Rabbettting bit with several bearings
spiral/mortising
Slot cutter

A pattern bit (essentially a V-groove) is normally used with a plunge router and templates to make signs or designs.

Chamfer and round over bits are for decorative edging (along with a ton of other edging bits) and only necessary if you need a pretty edge on a piece of wood (i.e. furniture)

Dovetail bits are only needed if you do dovetail joints (not for a newbie woodworker)

Additionally there are a ton of other sets for things like raised panels in doors and drawer locks for constructing drawer boxes.

I agree with not buying a big set since you probably won't use most of the bits.

For constructing a cab I would suggest the slot cutter for the T-molding, and a straight bit and flush trim bit for the recesses and cutouts. You shouldn't need anything else.

Make sure the bits you buy will fit in your router. Routers come with several different size collets (the part where you put the shaft of the bit), 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2". Make sure your bits have a shaft that will fit your router's collet.
A wise man once said, "Forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo-

Tahnok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 04:13:49 pm »
A pattern bit (essentially a V-groove) is normally used with a plunge router and templates to make signs or designs.
I could have sworn that's actually just known as a v groove. A Pattern bit is kind of like a flush trim, but a little longer and with the bearings on top, example

Personally, I use both a pattern and flush trim quite often. Probably more than any other bit. I recommend both.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

spiffykyle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:50:06 pm »
I could have sworn that's actually just known as a v groove. A Pattern bit is kind of like a flush trim, but a little longer and with the bearings on top, example

Personally, I use both a pattern and flush trim quite often. Probably more than any other bit. I recommend both.

I see what you mean. I was thinking the v-groove since that's what i use with letter templates to make signs and such. I don't normally use the pattern bit you're talking about since I just make the template larger to fit the edge of the router plate, or just put the flush trim bit in my table.

Sorry for the confusion.
A wise man once said, "Forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo-

xmenxmen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2012, 03:05:35 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 01:21:25 pm »
Answer from a newbie that just finish the 1st cabinet and never owned a router before.

Grabbed a Ryobi router from Home Depot for 59.
Grabbed the slot cutter from Lowes.  Came in 2 parts, cost about 25 or so.
Grab a router kit from Sears on sale last week for 20.  Kit included the following:
1/4 and 1/2in straight
1/2 or was it 1/4 in flush trim bit
2 cove and one other bit.

For the cabinet, 3 bit was mainly used:

For t-molding, the slot cutter bit used.

For cutting holes and rough cutting, the 1/2 striaght bit did all that.  Use that to drill the hole in the plexi.  Routed the 1/8 top mount for the joystick.  Routing the same opening for the joystick to stick thru.

For trimming down to size, the flush trim bit did all that.  Did all the holes in the plexi using that bit.  Actually the whole plexi was done using that bit beside starting the initila hole using the striaght.

To sum,
Grab the slot cutter, flush trim bit and straight bit at a min.

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
flush trim bits in every style

top mounted bearing
bottom  mounted bearing
I even got one that has a 3/8" diameter for thos button holes and a laminate trimmer
Buy long ones
buy short ones
Spiral cutting ones.

I did buy a router bit set too, for the box........