Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Do jigsaws have a built-in "drift"???  (Read 5375 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
Do jigsaws have a built-in "drift"???
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:50:08 am »
I've noticed that when I'm using my jigsaw (Dewalt brand) I have to hold it at an angle when trying to make a straight cut (by eye).  The blade appears to be installed properly and everything appears to be square.

I decided to make a sawboard for it and I couldn't due to this drift problem.  I had everything lined up and ready to cut - I rested the shoe of the tool against the factory straightedge on my sawboard and tried to cut.  The tool had a tendency to cut towards the sawboard edge and it kept getting jammed up.  I'm not sure what to do.  I am left-handed if that makes a difference...

Anyone ever heard of this?  It's like when you are driving a car and the wheel is straight but you are still drifting to one side for some reason...

NickG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 05:25:23 am
  • Dig.
    • My Projects Page
Re: Do jigsaws have a built-in "drift"???
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:07:04 am »
My jigsaw does that, too. I think it was because I was moving it forward too fast.  I did not want to take all day on my cuts or worry about this problem at all so I used different tools, instead.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 07:06:20 pm »
My dewalt jig has a option to blow the saw dust out of the way when cutting.  It helped a lot.  I used goggles and just made sure I went slow.  For long straight cuts a circular saw is much easier.  I only used the jig saw when making cuts with circles (speaker cut outs, coin door, etc).

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 08:18:15 pm »
I don't know if I'd call it a drift but my jigsaw always seems to cut with a slight angle to it. I only use it for making rough cuts or cuts that are not critical. Maybe it's because it's not a real expensive one. It's a craftsman.

Encryptor

Xam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 11:16:45 pm
  • " Oh my heavens; good gracious. Cro-Magnons."
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:40:52 pm »
I have the same problem cutting with a jig...regardless of cost of the tool (though the better ones seem to minimize the problem). I think it has more to do with inexperience than the tool. My wife's cousin can gut a strait line with no "drift" in just a few seconds...freehand! He can work some wood!

One thing to remember with a jigsaw...you are cutting with a thin strip of metal with nothing to stabilize the bottom of the blade. Going slower and letting the tool do the work (not forcing it) will also minimize the "drift".
It does not take much pressure to get a jigsaw blade going at an angle.

Xam
Can't talk to a psycho like a normal human being.

cripto9t

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2008, 10:30:30 am
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:12:56 am »
I rested the shoe of the tool against the factory straightedge on my sawboard and tried to cut.  The tool had a tendency to cut towards the sawboard edge and it kept getting jammed up.
The bottom of the blad whips around and is not very stable, that and the shoe is probably not at 90 degree angle with the blade. If you want to use a straight edge your best bet is a circular saw.  With a circular saw always set the blade just below the cut and cut from the back side. This keeps splintering on the finished side to a minimum.

As already pointed out, slow and easy and at minimum speed is the way to go. The thickness of the material also plays a part,  The thinner the better.
The best advice I have is to get what you can with a circular saw and finish with the jigsaw
_- cripto9t -_

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 01:09:40 pm »
It's the quality of the jigsaw (or I should say build).  The "nice" jigsaws have a bearing guide at the base to hold the blade to center.  The older style and cheaper ones don't have this.  Mine also cuts at an angle.  You can help it a little with practice also.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 01:16:08 pm »
Ah, here is an example.  The Bosch I think is considered one of the better jigsaws these days:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1590EVSK-6-4-Handle-Jigsaw/dp/B0001X21RG

You can see the guide to the blade on the bottom near where the wood would be.  It keeps it from drifting and bending.

Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:27:38 pm »
Ah, here is an example.  The Bosch I think is considered one of the better jigsaws these days:

Having owned several different jigsaws, Bosch ones are the only brand I'd personally recommend. Because it's the only Jigsaw I've ever owned that doesn't suffer from this drifting problem.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:29:32 pm by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 04:34:32 pm »
Same here. I've noticed it gets better with a fresh blade.

My desktop cp is crooked as all getout due to the drift factor. I let the wife cut a few pieces and she was able to cut straighter than I could. Boy that was embarrasing. :dunno

Note: why do I post embarassing things like this?

Mental note: Don't post any more embarrassing things like this.

Note to all: I have taken a new vow to not post any more ebarrassing comments about myself.
 :laugh2: :laugh2:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:42:13 am »
OK, so I'm guessing it's not a good idea to make a sawboard for my jigsaw.  I don't have a circular saw but maybe I'll have to add it to the list now...

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 09:51:34 pm »
OK, so I'm guessing it's not a good idea to make a sawboard for my jigsaw.  I don't have a circular saw but maybe I'll have to add it to the list now...

I built a SawBoard for my Jigsaw.... It works a treat... Just buy a Bosch Jigsaw and forget the rest.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

spiffykyle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 08:13:59 pm
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 12:06:57 pm »
Just like a hand saw if your blade enters the wood at anything other than straight it will end up drifting. Plus think blades bend pretty easily. It should get better with practice and a higher quality jigsaw, I use a Bosch.

However for long straight cuts I would highly suggest getting a circular saw. They are relatively innexpensive and will cut straighter and faster than a jigsaw. I only use my jigsaw for curves, large holes, and for cutting non-wood materials.
A wise man once said, "Forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza." -Michelangelo-