Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Installing Cabinet Panels  (Read 3696 times)

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
Installing Cabinet Panels
« on: November 15, 2006, 05:56:09 pm »
Hey guys. Just curious if anyone else has done this with the panels for their cabinets.

I'm installing 1/4 X 20 brass threaded inserts into the panel braces and bolting the panels on with some 1/4 X 20 connector bolts. They have a very thin head and can be painted to match the color of your cabinet. I believe it will be just as strong as putting the panels on with screws.

See Pics below.

Encryptor

MikeDeuce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2013, 04:38:38 pm
  • It does a body good.
Re: Installing Cabinet Panels
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:19:52 pm »
Haven't done it myself, but in a related thought, these could work in similar situations (assuming you have access to both sides):

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=368

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 07:31:18 pm »
What I'm using is the bolt part of that picture. I figured using the insert would be easier than trying to get at the back side and hold one part in position while reaching around the cab and trying to insert the bolt. Especially if one is working alone.  :laugh2:

WaRpEd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:50:25 pm »
Will this be used as point of cabinet you take apart?
If so I would use a T-nut which is stronger and won't tear out as easy.
The brass insert are OK for some joinery but have tendency to pull out of the wood at the thread. At least that was my experience on a curio cabinet I made the insert holding the side panel on broke when being moved and broke the beveled glass panel (read expensive) .
just my 2 cents
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

Encryptor

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 05:52:19 am »
They are used to hold the back panels of the cabinet on. I did it this way for easy removal and access to the back of the cabinet for maintenance. The inserts are screwed into 2 X 2's and not the MDF. If one does pull out it would not be too hard to replace them with T-Nuts. Thanks for the input.

Encryptor