Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I need pictures of original Galaga cabinet  (Read 6907 times)

AE35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 01:48:24 pm
  • That sure is a nice raygun!
I need pictures of original Galaga cabinet
« on: October 23, 2006, 02:22:19 pm »

Hi!

I really need to ask a favor. I need to get high-res pictures of a Galaga cabinet, one from the
front, one from the side, and one from the back. They need to be pretty precise, so the one
from the side are not at an angle etc, so my wood-person can see the curves.

Does anyone have the means to do this?

Thanks!!

Nicholas

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: I need pictures of original Galaga cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
Is this as opposed to Jakobud's plans ?

http://www.jakobud.com

Cheers

NOTE: I know that this is going to open up the whole "straight or angled bottom front edge of the cab" debate, but those plans have to be better than eyeballing pictures.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

AE35

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »

Hi, yes it is!

The person who is going to cut the wood asked for the pictures...

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 04:10:48 pm »
You could try this page with Ms pacman pictures

I'd love to see some good pictures of a Galaga cab too though. So I can finally try to fix the colors of the artwork in the vector drawings.
This signature is intentionally left blank

AE35

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:27:53 am »

Cool!

Let me be sure, the ms pac-man and Galaga are 100% the same cab?

Thanks!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:39:30 am »
yes - same cab

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:04:40 pm »
Is this as opposed to Jakobud's plans ?

http://www.jakobud.com

Cheers

NOTE: I know that this is going to open up the whole "straight or angled bottom front edge of the cab" debate, but those plans have to be better than eyeballing pictures.

:)

There's no debate.  There are those who know what a real Galaga looks like, and those who use random pictures gathered from the internet to assert that the jakobud plans are accurate w/ the sloped front. ;)

I agree, Jakobud's plans are definitely better than eyeballing, but if you build one, please know that the lower front panel and edges sould be perfectly vertical, not sloped like on Jakobud.com.

Wade

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 03:55:58 pm »
There's no debate.  There are those who know what a real Galaga looks like
You mean there are those who know what a single Galaga cab in their neighbourhood looks like and there are those who saw hundreds of pictures of loads of cabs and know that there are cabs with both types of kickplate areas? But I guess it's the same as the dust washers. I have never seen a cab with dust washers showing and then there are people who say they only saw cabs with dust washers on top. You cannot proof either statement just by going on what you see for yourself.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 04:40:02 pm »
You're right, I can't prove anything by going only on what I've seen myself.

It is true though, that someone could easily produce evidence of a game both with or without dust washers (go to a local arcade or two, take some photos, done...)  I seriously doubt anyone is trying to argue that only one way was ever used... they can only argue which they prefer, based on which they saw more examples of.

But the sloped front, to my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong...), hasn't been documented by *anyone* yet.  I can easily produce the documentation to support the flat front, and the known MsPac measurements photo also agrees with it.  I suppose if I have to to put this to rest, I can produce that evidence.

If you plan to try to do the same, let me know and I'll take my camera and tape with me when I go to a friend's house in the next week or two (need to pick up some parts anyway).

Wade

There's no debate.  There are those who know what a real Galaga looks like
You mean there are those who know what a single Galaga cab in their neighbourhood looks like and there are those who saw hundreds of pictures of loads of cabs and know that there are cabs with both types of kickplate areas? But I guess it's the same as the dust washers. I have never seen a cab with dust washers showing and then there are people who say they only saw cabs with dust washers on top. You cannot proof either statement just by going on what you see for yourself.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 05:30:42 pm »
I think we've been through this already. AFAIC the conclusion was that there was at least some evidence to suggest that some MsPacman cabs had a sloped front, but most likely most Ms Pacs and Galaga cabs still around to date have straight fronts. There are at least 3 sets of (independent) measurements showing the slope on an Ms Pac cab. I don't have a Galaga or MsPac cab nearby with a sloped front so I will not be measuring one or taking my own pictures. BTW one picture of a straight front is not going to prove that there are no cabs with sloped fronts. I guess this will never be resolved unless I find a msPac or Galaga cab with a sloped front :)

For what it's worth, I would probably use a straight front for my Galaga cab (did so already for my pocket galaga), but I do think there are/were cabs with a sloped front.

Actually I think the MsPac/Galaga profile on jakobuds side doesn't look exactly like a Ms Pac/Galaga cab. I think the area around the CP is a bit to sharply angled. The tip of the CP and the angle below the CP look too sharp to me. I think both corners should have a radius.

OK, I just now superimposed the Jakobud drawing over the picture taken from that site in south africa (wouter's arcade) and the whole control panel area does not match up. It looks like the tip of the CP is almost 4" lower.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 10:22:33 pm »
Yeah, talk about beating a dead horse. ;)  Well, we reasoned that there might be some cabinets somewhere with a sloped front, but no one has found one yet to my knowledge.

You're right, I can prove there are straight fronts and that doesn't prove they ALL are.  The same could be said about any claim, no matter how outrageous (lets see.. there were factory neon orange 720 cabinets... disprove that). ;)  I also agree, there won't be a true resolution to this unless someone finds a sloped front.

I agree, there are some other things about Jakobud's plans that are fishy, not surprisingly.  There is a radius on the original cabinets, that is just a detail that he left out.  Again, I know his plans aren't perfect because I supplied the T&F plans and notified him of a correction, which he never added.  He also left some radiused corners off.

FWIW, my buddy with the Galaga also has a MsPac right next to it now, and they are identical as far as profile.  Just a quick glance and it's obvious.  I will try to get some detail pics of both cabinets when I go over there next.  I think all ply MsPacs and MDF Galagas very likely have the same profile.  An occasional bootleg or a Bosconian conversion Galaga or MsPac could be slightly different.

BTW, where were the other 2 sources of sloped front info?  I thought it all stemmed from Jakobud's plans and people propagating that design.  If there are 3 independent sources of the info, it would lend a lot of credibility to the idea.

TTYL,
Wade

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 06:20:25 am »
The southafrican site I posted before has a set of measurements. This is from before Jakobuds site. I cannot find the third anymore (I'm at work now), but also some MsPac pictures definately show a sloped front (don't have them now either, but still).  See from the south african site: set of measurements and Clear MsPac

I'd love some nice pictures of a Galaga cab. It would be good to have the plans corrected and I hope I can check the colors properly.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 06:30:14 am by patrickl »

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 09:33:03 am »
I looked into the South African site, and if you explore http://www.retro.co.za/arcade/cabinet.html then you'll see that he hasn't even seen a dedicated Mspac/Galaga in person, and he just made those dims for his own cabinet based on some pictures and measurements he found on the net (including the common MsPac dims over the photo, which show a slight curve to the front but the dims say the front is straight).  I can also spot that the top sides don't stick up far enough above the top surface of the game (compare this to the clear MsPac which looks more accurate to me... perhaps 3" of maximum height from the top up to the top side).  I think we can toss that drawing out as being even remotely dependable.

The clear MsPac sure appears to have a sloped front, but again it is just a picture, and they can be deceiving.  Without someone actually seeing that clear one in person, it's hard to say.  Not to mention, it is clearly (pun intended) not an original cabinet.  It is possible it was built slightly off.

When looking at my buddy's Galaga the other day I noticed that a photo can really "suggest" that the front is sloped.  It is because the artwork on the kickplate makes the lower edge well defined.  Since the MDF if glossy, the upper part can get a reflection of the overlap and it ends up making the top portion appear to be more like 3/4" deep rather than the 3/8" or so that it really is.  I will try to take a picture to demonstrate this, though his isn't as glossy as factory (totally rebuilt, relaminated) so the effect might be hard to capture.  I won't be able to get total measurements for the game right now, the game room is too crowded and we'd have to move a bunch of stuff, but I could hit some highlights.

I'm sorry, but I can't help much with the colors, as we applied repro twobit artwork, which looks pretty good but isn't exactly the same as the original.  Most noticable to me was the two shades of green were FAR to similar.  One of the greens on the originals is MUCH darker than the other.  Some of the other colors looked a little off too, but I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side.  I have seen other repros that weren't screen printed and had a layer of clear laminate over them (the original is not that glossy), but the colors were actually closer to the original.  I think a couple of my buddies bought a set or two of these as extras (they have been selling for about $10 each.  Probably great for a home built cabinet where screen printed artwork isn't a requirement).

Wade

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:59:28 pm »
Oh yeah.  I did get pics and the dims in question for a Mspac and Galaga.  If anyone is interested, I can send the pics.

Thanks,
Wade

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 03:22:04 am »
I'd say you shuld send those to Jakobud so he can change his drawings for all the people that use those.

If you don't mind then I'd like them too so I can fix my own plans.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 11:13:40 pm »
Okay, here are some dims that are consistent with the MsPac overlayed dims found on the net at a few other sites.  Jakobud definitely has too much of a curve at the CP and the angle on the front is incorrect.  Maybe other differences.

I don't know how I could measure this stuff extremely accurately, especially the curve.

http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/MsPacGalagaDims

Wade

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 11:56:15 pm »
Gees Wade'O... that's the most I've seen you type in ages!  ;D   And all over 3"- 4" of slope! God bless ya  ;) ;D
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 04:19:35 am »
Can you take a picture of (more of) the whole side?

BTW Great game room!

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 10:20:35 am »
Gees Wade'O... that's the most I've seen you type in ages!  ;D   And all over 3"- 4" of slope! God bless ya  ;) ;D

Spriggy, that BIG post was from October, if that's what you're referring to! :)

Thanks Patrickl!  Assuming you're referring to other pics in my album on that site.  The MsPac and Galaga belong to a friend, so those pics are from his gameroom.

I could try to get a picture of the side, but we might have to move some stuff.  It would probably distort a bit due to the perspective, but we can try it.  I'm not sure when I'll be over there next (got a lot going on right now), but I do plan to take some more pictures of some of his games in the future.

Wade

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 11:22:49 am »
Actually, I guess the picture of the ms pac sideon (from Wouter's arcade) should do already.

I'm not sure which of the machines are yours and which are your friends, but all the pictures look cool!

Thanks for the pictures.

BTW is there any one of these pictures where you would say the CP colors look most like you see them in real life. Maybe picture 19? The reflective nature of the CPO seems to shange the color in every picture I see. I still need to color correct the CPO I vectorized, but I cannot seem to find a real Galaga anywhere here in the netherlands (only those ugly MsPac Galaga reunion things) and since every picture looks different I have some trouble deciding on the proper colors.

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 06:39:18 pm »

Spriggy, that BIG post was from October, if that's what you're referring to! :)

Now who feels like a --missioncontrol--!!  ::)  Next time sprigg, keep your trap shut instead of trying to be mildly funny! :P
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)