Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ebay and PayPal Personal Account  (Read 1696 times)

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Ebay and PayPal Personal Account
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:49:19 pm »
Has anyone here sold something on ebay with a PayPal Personal Account?

I just have one or two items I want to sell, but am not sure if there is any rules against it.  I can't find anything that says explicitly you can't, but swear I've read about people who tried and got their auction closed.  Just curious what others are doing in this situation.

hypernova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
Re: Ebay and PayPal Personal Account
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:17:32 pm »
Is personal the one where you can't accept credit card based payments?  If so, Peale's stated numerous times that they aren't allowed anymore.  Gotta have a business account (or whatever is the step above personal.)
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 08:30:19 pm »
Thanks.  I knew someone had said it, but couldn't find the disclaimer on the PayPal site.

So, do others with a Personal Account just accept Money Orders?

hypernova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:46:15 pm »
Usually.  And if you want the potential headaches, personal checks.  But that could end up costing you if the thing bounces.
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:09:59 pm »
I don't sell a whole lotta stuff but every time I do I check the "accept paypal" button and put a note in the auction or in the payment terms that I will not accept credit card payments.

None of my auctions have gotten pulled nor have I been warned or any such thing.

I'd say go for it, worst that will happen is they'll pull the auction and warn you...
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:38:05 pm »
In case anyone is looking for the same info:.

Ironically, right before I put something up on Ebay someone sent me a payment through PayPal.  They sent it via CC.  Turns out on a Personal Account you are allowed to receive 5 CC payments per year.  I believe the charge is 4.9%.

When I did put something on Ebay it mentioned changing my account to a Premier, but it didn't require me to.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 02:22:31 pm »
I've never heard of the 5 per year thing--last time someone paid me via a credit card it said i had to upgrade to accept payment and if i upgrade I can only downgrade once.  I think the whole thing is garbage--if you upgrade they take an extra percentage from EVERY auction from that point forward--even ones paid by cash.  Their reason--their isn't one.  They also gave me their sternly worded ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- that I could not state in my auction that I would not accept credit cards--its like a friggin racketeering joint now--you do it their way or not at all--someone really has to find a better way than paypal...
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...