Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pictures from Saturday's auction in Mesquite, TX  (Read 11165 times)

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Re:Pictures from Saturday's auction in Mesquite, TX
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2003, 02:19:05 am »
LOL.. I saw that, too, but didn't get it until now.. was wondering why it was listed under Arcade Parts & Accessories :P

I can see selling MAME cabs at an auction.. but not for that much when the conversions are so shoddy.. and not with ROMs or MAME..

Oh, and is anyone else in Houston or near there?  I was planning to take the day off and go to the upcoming auction on (I think it was) April 5.. if you didn't know (I just found this yesterday, maybe it's not very well publicized?), check the listing @ www.gameroommagazine.com.. and if anyone went to their auction last year, please post your comments!

I've got this madness all of a sudden for a dedicated Galaga.. well, OK, I've always had it  :-[
k-spiff

MrArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2003, 03:04:03 am »
Now that is funny!

Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2003, 03:11:31 am »
<snip>

Oh, and is anyone else in Houston or near there?  I was planning to take the day off and go to the upcoming auction on (I think it was) April 5.. if you didn't know (I just found this yesterday, maybe it's not very well publicized?), check the listing @ www.gameroommagazine.com.. and if anyone went to their auction last year, please post your comments!
</snip>
http://www.arcadecenter.com/2002expo/index.html
My wife is the chick wearing the blue tye dye shirt in the second pic on the first page.  Shes playing pinball.

It was a blast, but not what I was hoping for.  I pictured a big trade show.  Which is probably why my wife came along.  She new I wanted to find something to start my project on.  Turns out, what everyone does is bring their pins and vids in, charge $5 dollars a head (that was last year, this year it is $10) and you play for free.  Apparently there was a tournament, but I didn't stay late enough for that.
http://www.arcadecenter.com/
Its at Fitzgeralds there in houston.  I played the hell out of some pinball that night.  Last year we got there early and got to play the games that were already set up.  When everything was ready, the told everyone to get out so they could start taking the money.  Oh yeah...its at Fitzgeralds so there was a full bar.  I got drunk.  The atmosphere was great...lots of old video games, pinball machine...man, I never played so much pinball as I did that day.  Old 80's music in the background.  

Anyway, I'm gonna plan to take the day off again and go to it this year.  

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2003, 04:52:17 am »
D'oh!  No game sales whatsoever?  Hm.. I dunno about that.. not worth taking a day off for to me (and I would have to take the day off, no way around it with my work schedule).

Maybe I'll try to dig up more info.. sounded too good to be true, though. :(
k-spiff

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2003, 05:03:45 am »
Sorry...there were games for sale, and pinballs too.  But they were collectors prices...ya know...sellers market.  Nothing really on the lines of project cabs.

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2003, 07:39:10 am »
Yeah.. the situation for getting a cab down here is pretty sad.. so far I've gotten 2 for free (and one was a gambling game; I just got lucky on this deal) and an APB that cost $250 (which works pretty solid, but could use some work [including maybe a new cap kit]).  The site vidpin.com has cabs for sale local, but their prices are horrible, too.

I wouldn't mind collector's prices, but oftentimes the price just doesn't match the condition.  Hell, when it does the price gets even worse.  Average for a G/VG (working but not very pretty) machine in working condition seems to be @ $450-600.
k-spiff

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 04:53:33 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2003, 06:11:00 pm »
lol...i found out yesterday in the newsgroups that that guy is known as ' Mr. do-rag' or 'stinky' (depending on what part of the country you're in...) he goes to *all* the auctions, and bids his own machine up to what he wants to get for them, even if it means he's takin' them to the next auction..:-) aparantly, the mame cabs are his...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=3215436123

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2003, 09:00:07 pm »
lol...i found out yesterday in the newsgroups that that guy is known as ' Mr. do-rag' or 'stinky' (depending on what part of the country you're in...) he goes to *all* the auctions, and bids his own machine up to what he wants to get for them, even if it means he's takin' them to the next auction..:-) aparantly, the mame cabs are his...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=3215436123

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WTF is this?  ??? :o ???

Its disturbing..

WHAT HAPPEND TO THAT UNDERWEAR ?
Someone kicked REALLY hard in his ballz or somethin?
AND people are bidding on it..am I the only one think this is VERY disturbing ???

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2003, 12:48:51 pm »
FWIW someone in the RGVAC community put up a page dedicated to mr do rag - stinky/shill auction guy

*shrug*

rampy