Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pictures from Saturday's auction in Mesquite, TX  (Read 11118 times)

RacerX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2022, 12:06:34 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
Pictures from Saturday's auction in Mesquite, TX
« on: March 16, 2003, 11:44:46 pm »
I went to an arcade auction at the Mesquite Rodeo arena on Saturday.  It was put on by www.superauctions.com.  All in all, I thought it was very cool.  I enjoyed seeing that many classic cabs all in the same place.  And when it came time for the auction, I was pleasantly surprised how much the cabs were selling for.  They were a LOT cheaper than they go for on Ebay.  Of course, there were a couple of people who payed more than I would have, but that's to be expected.  There were two brand new Ms. Pacman machines that went for $950.  A Centipede that was in great shape went for $775.  But a Track and Field that was also in great shape went for $375.  I would have bought that if I wasn't about to buy a house.

Anyway, I threw together a quick web page with some pics.  Enjoy!  Be sure to look at the last picture!   ;D

Here's the link: http://www.tunnelmill.org/auction.htm

TacoSmuggler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2017, 06:35:45 am
Re:Pictures from Saturday's auction in Mesquite, TX
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 01:20:03 am »
Real cool ! Nice pics! I am going to the US Amusements auction on this Saturday in NJ. I have been to quite a few of them and I have never seen a Mame cabinet for sale at one of these. Do you know what the Mame cabs went for?

Whats the most fun about auctions is you can bring an extension cord and play free classics all day long! I always end up buying something though!   ::)

Anyone else going down this Saturday?
Sanity leaves too many walls to bounce off of
While the deranged can run endlessly in any direction they choose

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 05:53:43 am »
Cool!  I will make it out to Mesquite one of these days.  I live in Houston but haven't been able to justify the trip yet.  Did they have any deals on empty cabinets?  How much were they going for?

thx,

-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

Bursar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2005, 06:57:07 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 07:39:52 am »
Cool :) Especially like the Mario pic at the end ;)

If only they had stuff like that in the UK.

If they do, someone want to hook me up with the info?

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 07:45:20 am »
Lol! I like the old Elvis nerd with the TCB tattoo. It's worth it just to go skid watching! hehe

Great cabs! Too bad you can't report the Mame sales to someone.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Xphile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 12:54:48 am
  • I'll never go back to the NHL!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 09:36:34 am »
lol...i found out yesterday in the newsgroups that that guy is known as ' Mr. do-rag' or 'stinky' (depending on what part of the country you're in...) he goes to *all* the auctions, and bids his own machine up to what he wants to get for them, even if it means he's takin' them to the next auction..:-) aparantly, the mame cabs are his..

good pics..

Pull a year and a half strike- it's over 4eva..
besides, WHL rocks!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 09:43:20 am »
I'll make it up there to Mesquite one of these days when I'm not broke cuz I know I'll buy something whether I can afford it or not. My brother lives up there and he's got a truck so it's all good. Plus he's a collector too so dragging him out there wouldn't be hard. They are coming to Corpus Christi this weekend, though... That's only 3 hours from me. I wonder who I could drag out there with a truck. :)

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 01:06:18 pm »
Cool!  I will make it out to Mesquite one of these days.  I live in Houston but haven't been able to justify the trip yet.  Did they have any deals on empty cabinets?  How much were they going for?

thx,

-Ace-

Unfortunately I couldn't stay at the auction the whole time (I had friends along.  I'll leave them at home next time.   ;) )  I don't know what the MAME cabs went for.  They did have some cabinets that were in really bad shape.  A friend of mine forgot her driver's license and we had to go back later in the afternoon, and I heard some of the cabs that were in poorer condition going for $125.  Some of the worst ones probably went for less.

AlanS17, let me know about how much the cabs go for.  The auctioneer was saying that you could buy a cab in Mesquite and take it to Corpus next weekend and make a profit.  Of course, I know he was just trying to get the bidding higher.  But I would be curious to see if that was an unusual auction, price-wise.  Most machines that were in good condition were going in the $450 to $750 range depending on the game and its condition.

One thing that I found interesting was that at one point the auctioneer made an announcement that if they caught you behind the machines messing with them after the review period was over, they would prosecute you.  Apparently they've had problems with people messing with the cabinets in order to make them appear to not be working so the bidding won't go as high.

Also, as has been mentioned, the people watching alone is worth going.  I saw the king of all mullets at this thing.   :D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 02:03:40 pm by RacerX »

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 01:10:50 pm »
Lol! I like the old Elvis nerd with the TCB tattoo. It's worth it just to go skid watching! hehe

Great cabs! Too bad you can't report the Mame sales to someone.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out exactly what the proper course of action was with those MAME cabs.  So every time I walked by them, I would say to my friends in a loud voice, "That thing is running MAME.  That's highly illegal!  Look, it's running ArcadeOS as the front-end!"  

Stupid, I know, but I just wanted to discourage people from bidding on them if I could.

bigugly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2003, 01:36:40 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2003, 03:34:22 pm »
the mame cabinet that was on the first row with all the classic machines that was called 'williams arcade classics' (i think) went for $575.  i didn't see or hear where the others ended.  the one i saw sold didn't even work right.  i saw three different people looking at it and the games would freeze after a few seconds every time.

Xphile

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2003, 03:41:24 pm »
I heard the tron that was there worked great during the preview, then wouldn't start when it came auction time...turned out someone yanked or crunched a fuse trying to keep it cheap... apparently it happens quite a bit at these things..you really have to watch your machines like a hawk..

besides, WHL rocks!

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2003, 03:46:44 pm »
Ooo, I would have been all over that Alien Syndrome game.   Such a freakin classic!  It's not illegal to sell mame cabinets, but you're not supposed to put all the games on em like that cocktail cabinet did!  That's where they will bust you, since you're basically "borrowing" a game you don't own.  So does anyone know what that green button on the Frogger cabinet do?  I saw one of those on a donkey kong, but it didn't do anything when I pressed it.
   -Good stuff
      -CthulhuLuke

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 03:56:45 pm »
the mame cabinet that was on the first row with all the classic machines that was called 'williams arcade classics' (i think) went for $575.  i didn't see or hear where the others ended.  the one i saw sold didn't even work right.  i saw three different people looking at it and the games would freeze after a few seconds every time.

So you were there!  I was wondering if there were any other BYOACers there!

Was that Williams a MAME?  I thought it was legit.  Of course, I didn't look at it very closely.  That would make 4 MAME machines there.  It shows up in one of the pics I posted if you guys want to take a look.  Of course, it's in the background, but if anyone else has seen one...

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 04:12:20 pm »

Was that Williams a MAME?  I thought it was legit.  Of course, I didn't look at it very closely.  That would make 4 MAME machines there.  It shows up in one of the pics I posted if you guys want to take a look.  Of course, it's in the background, but if anyone else has seen one...

I wasn't there (not even remotely close =P ) but re: the williams -> there is a "mod chip" to make a williams game a "multi williams" machine... not to say that one was one of those, or that it wasn't MAME... just that it coulda been a multi-williams  (not that it makes it any more or less legit either way) =P

Rampy

johnpurs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 10:59:30 pm
    • John &ampamp; Mad's MAME2000 Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2003, 04:20:46 pm »
Real cool ! Nice pics! I am going to the US Amusements auction on this Saturday in NJ. I have been to quite a few of them and I have never seen a Mame cabinet for sale at one of these. Do you know what the Mame cabs went for?

Whats the most fun about auctions is you can bring an extension cord and play free classics all day long! I always end up buying something though!   ::)

Anyone else going down this Saturday?

I'll be there. My wife and I attend most  South Jersey Auctions. It really sucks that they will not be doing any more in Pennsauken since it's a 10 minute drive for us.
MAME2K

Pins:Devil'sDare*Taxi*Meteor*Fireball 2*WC Soccer 94*WhiteWater*Catacomb*FunHouse*Nine Ball*Space Shuttle*Flight2000**SeaWitch*Centaur*Paragon*Big Game*F-14 Tomcat*

TacoSmuggler

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2003, 05:54:03 pm »

I'll be there. My wife and I attend most  South Jersey Auctions. It really sucks that they will not be doing any more in Pennsauken since it's a 10 minute drive for us.

Cool, I'll be there with my girlfriend also. She needs to 'supervise' my purchases!  ;D

I know it sucks they are moving the auction to Atlantic ---smurfy---...the 1st auction there was reeeaal bad! Nobody went...which is good if you are buying.....low prices, but they didnt have a good selection at all.

Both auctions are still over 4 hours away from me(Albany, NY) !!!

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2003, 07:26:42 pm »
I went to the last one in Pennsauken and the one in Atlantic City. I was the guy in Atlantic City that bought the huge Road Riot 4WD sit down in the back room. Haven't decided yet whether or not I'm going Saturday yet, I live in Southern MD it's 3.5 hours up there for me.

Coming Soon

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2003, 08:25:11 pm »
uhh....well....I don't mean to go against the grain, but isn't it illegal to have ANY roms on your computer to run with Mame if you don't own the PCB?  To get pissed about someone selling a Mame cab seems like the pot calling the kettle black.  It's like complaining about dope dealers in between hits from a hash pipe.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 09:02:59 pm »
uhh....well....I don't mean to go against the grain, but isn't it illegal to have ANY roms on your computer to run with Mame if you don't own the PCB?  To get pissed about someone selling a Mame cab seems like the pot calling the kettle black.  It's like complaining about dope dealers in between hits from a hash pipe.

Yeah but those dope dealers charge WAY too much markup maaan!

More free stuff! I deserve it! Too many Mame cabs for sale with romz and they might close the Mame project! Then no more free stuff! Poor me!! boo hooo

*sarcasm mode off*
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 09:16:59 pm »

I'm not complaining so much about it being illegal to sell the machines.  I realize using MAME to play games that you don't have the PCB for is just as illegal.  But doing that in the privacy of your own home is not going to raise any red flags.  If people start selling MAME cabs all over the place, it is going to attract attention and bring an end to our favorite hobby.  That's what annoys me about it.

Xphile

• Offline Offline
Dallas Prices are up!
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 11:02:33 pm »
here's the prices of everything but the junk that was being sold at the end.

http://home.attbi.com/~myplacearcade/Auction.html

thanks to "Buzzman" from rec.games.video.arcade.collecting

besides, WHL rocks!

RacerX

• Offline Offline
Re:Dallas Prices are up!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2003, 11:11:58 pm »
here's the prices of everything but the junk that was being sold at the end.

http://home.attbi.com/~myplacearcade/Auction.html

thanks to "Buzzman" from rec.games.video.arcade.collecting

Thanks for posting this.  I didn't have the patience to catalog everything.

TacoSmuggler

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2003, 04:10:53 pm »
I will take pictures of the auction this Saturday in NJ for everyone. I cant guarentee I can catalog the prices though!

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2003, 04:56:59 pm »
Pictures would be great but I wouldn't break your neck to get prices. Mark at Basement Arcade gets them every time I think.

http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/auction/index.html

Coming Soon

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2003, 07:43:01 pm »
Pictures would be great but I wouldn't break your neck to get prices. Mark at Basement Arcade gets them every time I think.

http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/auction/index.html

hey man is this site accurate?

I mean they had KI 1 machine for only $110...doesnt even say if non working or not..i would buy even if it came with no game and monitor.

as for the funny part,THEY HAVE STREET FIGHTER 4 THAT WAS SOLD ONLY FOR $200..
heck I would pay more for sf 4 :P..LOL !

here is that link.
http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/auction/a55/Data.html

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2003, 07:52:55 pm »
Snaaake depends on the auction. Alot of times the bigger the cabinet the cheaper it goes for just cause no one wants to load the darn thing up. Case in point I got a working two monitor sit down with two great monitors for 115.00 heck the two WG 25" monitors were well woth that but no one wanted to bust it down and load it up in the snow. There are more collectors and operators at these auctions than Mame guys so the "junk" cabs that aren't classics or money makers go for less.

Coming Soon

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2003, 08:12:43 pm »
Snaaake depends on the auction. Alot of times the bigger the cabinet the cheaper it goes for just cause no one wants to load the darn thing up. Case in point I got a working two monitor sit down with two great monitors for 115.00 heck the two WG 25" monitors were well woth that but no one wanted to bust it down and load it up in the snow. There are more collectors and operators at these auctions than Mame guys so the "junk" cabs that aren't classics or money makers go for less.

I see..actually never been to any auction before..but It would be nice if I ever go to any.. ::)

Heck of deal you get down there brother..$110 for ki machine..wooo :o

TacoSmuggler

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2003, 09:12:26 pm »
Snaake, If you need a cabinet, you should go to an auction. Non working games go for pennies..(I saw a non working MK3 in a cab that was in perfect condition go for $80).

Even better
Check this out:
http://www.basementarcade.com/arcade/auction/a57/Afterburner.html

No ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---...this sold for $25 in January 2003! Fully working...I played it! The cab tilted and everything! Nobody else could get it home!

$25 going once, twice,....sold!

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
    • Birdtales
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2003, 09:15:31 pm »

Even better
Check this out:

No ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---...this sold for $25 in January 2003! Fully working...I played it! The cab tilted and everything! Nobody else could get it home!

It would have been mine if I had brought my trailer on that trip up. ;)

Coming Soon

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2003, 09:26:23 pm »
Snaake, If you need a cabinet, you should go to an auction. Non working games go for pennies..(I saw a non working MK3 in a cab that was in perfect condition go for $80).

Even better
Check this out:

I am never gonna buy any cabinet ever anyways because once i wanna move out i might have to sell the thing..now I wanna build one that comes with 2 pieces..easy to move around.
The prices sounds like a steal though :D.
If weather gets any better then we go pickup some cabs then mame/ebay them for some quick cash i guess(I got no spaces anyways :P).

TacoSmuggler

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2003, 12:02:40 am »

It would have been mine if I had brought my trailer on that trip up. ;)

I think everyone there said the same thing once the machine sold! I know I kicked myself for not bringing a trailer!

How cool would it be to have a fully-fuctioning, deluxe cockpit afterburner in your gameroom... purchased for the price of a round of drinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2003, 03:26:28 am »
Damn.. I just can't seem to get on the internet without seeing Ron Jeremy at least once.. :P
k-spiff

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2003, 01:25:54 pm »
Damn.. I just can't seem to get on the internet without seeing Ron Jeremy at least once.. :P

LOL ! ! !

---gosh-darn--- !.i thought i was the only one noticed.. :P

He got thinner too... :o  LOL

Now a days,he plays arcades.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 01:37:51 pm by SNAAAKE »

johnpurs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 10:59:30 pm
    • John &ampamp; Mad's MAME2000 Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2003, 04:09:36 pm »
This being the last Pennsauken Auction. I have heard there will be a lot of games there. One guy said he was bringing three truckloads. It should be really a cool show even if you just bring an extension cord and play all the games you want without buying anything.

So if you are in the NY,NJ,PA,DE Area it may be worth your while to get there and pick up a cheap cab to MAME or buy a working game or even better a Pinball machine for way below retail price.

I'll be wearing my black Stern pinball hat and probably a flannel shirt and some sort of heavy metal band tshirt. If you want to me up with me that would be cool to talk to some BYOAC people.

John
MAME2K

Pins:Devil'sDare*Taxi*Meteor*Fireball 2*WC Soccer 94*WhiteWater*Catacomb*FunHouse*Nine Ball*Space Shuttle*Flight2000**SeaWitch*Centaur*Paragon*Big Game*F-14 Tomcat*

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2003, 05:38:25 pm »
we used to have one of those roy clark the entertainer pinballs whgen i was a kid, it was beat up and broken, you had to catch the ball, when it went down the hole so its didnt fall all the way to the bottom of hte cab, then lift the glass and place hte ball by the plunger, many many hours of fun 8)

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2003, 06:54:32 pm »
And this is a problem why...?

TacoSmuggler

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2003, 09:57:31 pm »
This being the last Pennsauken Auction. I have heard there will be a lot of games there. One guy said he was bringing three truckloads. It should be really a cool show even if you just bring an extension cord and play all the games you want without buying anything.

Cool! One last hurrah in Pennsauken. LOTS O' GAMES!!!

Kilgore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2021, 10:53:34 am
  • Mmmmm, Video Games...
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2003, 10:13:01 pm »

I was there also.  I was the fat geeky guy walking around in a black and blue flowered shirt with a Palm computer.  

The Williams was definitely a MAME cabinet.  Tastefully done.  

At least my friends I brought along had fun playing games and I think both of them are going to build themselves MAME cabinets.

I really regret not getting in on the bidding on a cabaret Battle Zone in great shape.  

We need to meet up for the next Mesquite auction and make sure we don't outbid each other.  Maybe a few cold ones in the parking lot.

- Kilgore

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2003, 10:27:35 pm »

I was there also.  I was the fat geeky guy walking around in a black and blue flowered shirt with a Palm computer.  

The Williams was definitely a MAME cabinet.  Tastefully done.  

At least my friends I brought along had fun playing games and I think both of them are going to build themselves MAME cabinets.

I really regret not getting in on the bidding on a cabaret Battle Zone in great shape.  

We need to meet up for the next Mesquite auction and make sure we don't outbid each other.  Maybe a few cold ones in the parking lot.

- Kilgore

I didn't really look at the Williams cab very closely, but you're right, it was tastefully done.  And that Battlezone cabaret was really cool.  I didn't even know they made Battlezone in a cabaret.

I probably won't get back up there for awhile, but you're on next time I do.  I'm always up for a few cold ones!

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2003, 01:01:18 am »
lol...i found out yesterday in the newsgroups that that guy is known as ' Mr. do-rag' or 'stinky' (depending on what part of the country you're in...) he goes to *all* the auctions, and bids his own machine up to what he wants to get for them, even if it means he's takin' them to the next auction..:-) aparantly, the mame cabs are his...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=3215436123

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2003, 02:19:05 am »
LOL.. I saw that, too, but didn't get it until now.. was wondering why it was listed under Arcade Parts & Accessories :P

I can see selling MAME cabs at an auction.. but not for that much when the conversions are so shoddy.. and not with ROMs or MAME..

Oh, and is anyone else in Houston or near there?  I was planning to take the day off and go to the upcoming auction on (I think it was) April 5.. if you didn't know (I just found this yesterday, maybe it's not very well publicized?), check the listing @ www.gameroommagazine.com.. and if anyone went to their auction last year, please post your comments!

I've got this madness all of a sudden for a dedicated Galaga.. well, OK, I've always had it  :-[
k-spiff

MrArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2003, 03:04:03 am »
Now that is funny!

Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2003, 03:11:31 am »
<snip>

Oh, and is anyone else in Houston or near there?  I was planning to take the day off and go to the upcoming auction on (I think it was) April 5.. if you didn't know (I just found this yesterday, maybe it's not very well publicized?), check the listing @ www.gameroommagazine.com.. and if anyone went to their auction last year, please post your comments!
</snip>
http://www.arcadecenter.com/2002expo/index.html
My wife is the chick wearing the blue tye dye shirt in the second pic on the first page.  Shes playing pinball.

It was a blast, but not what I was hoping for.  I pictured a big trade show.  Which is probably why my wife came along.  She new I wanted to find something to start my project on.  Turns out, what everyone does is bring their pins and vids in, charge $5 dollars a head (that was last year, this year it is $10) and you play for free.  Apparently there was a tournament, but I didn't stay late enough for that.
http://www.arcadecenter.com/
Its at Fitzgeralds there in houston.  I played the hell out of some pinball that night.  Last year we got there early and got to play the games that were already set up.  When everything was ready, the told everyone to get out so they could start taking the money.  Oh yeah...its at Fitzgeralds so there was a full bar.  I got drunk.  The atmosphere was great...lots of old video games, pinball machine...man, I never played so much pinball as I did that day.  Old 80's music in the background.  

Anyway, I'm gonna plan to take the day off again and go to it this year.  

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2003, 04:52:17 am »
D'oh!  No game sales whatsoever?  Hm.. I dunno about that.. not worth taking a day off for to me (and I would have to take the day off, no way around it with my work schedule).

Maybe I'll try to dig up more info.. sounded too good to be true, though. :(
k-spiff

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2003, 05:03:45 am »
Sorry...there were games for sale, and pinballs too.  But they were collectors prices...ya know...sellers market.  Nothing really on the lines of project cabs.

kspiff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2003, 07:39:10 am »
Yeah.. the situation for getting a cab down here is pretty sad.. so far I've gotten 2 for free (and one was a gambling game; I just got lucky on this deal) and an APB that cost $250 (which works pretty solid, but could use some work [including maybe a new cap kit]).  The site vidpin.com has cabs for sale local, but their prices are horrible, too.

I wouldn't mind collector's prices, but oftentimes the price just doesn't match the condition.  Hell, when it does the price gets even worse.  Average for a G/VG (working but not very pretty) machine in working condition seems to be @ $450-600.
k-spiff

RacerX

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2003, 06:11:00 pm »
lol...i found out yesterday in the newsgroups that that guy is known as ' Mr. do-rag' or 'stinky' (depending on what part of the country you're in...) he goes to *all* the auctions, and bids his own machine up to what he wants to get for them, even if it means he's takin' them to the next auction..:-) aparantly, the mame cabs are his...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2003, 09:00:07 pm »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WTF is this?  ??? :o ???

Its disturbing..

WHAT HAPPEND TO THAT UNDERWEAR ?
Someone kicked REALLY hard in his ballz or somethin?
AND people are bidding on it..am I the only one think this is VERY disturbing ???

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2003, 12:48:51 pm »
FWIW someone in the RGVAC community put up a page dedicated to mr do rag - stinky/shill auction guy

*shrug*

rampy