Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MaLa LED Support Questions  (Read 3313 times)

stoli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2010, 09:38:38 pm
    • Stoli's World
MaLa LED Support Questions
« on: July 23, 2006, 12:19:59 am »
I do not have the MaLa LED hardware yet but was looking into the software that supports it and had a few issues that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. The attractmode program only allows me to add 16 LEDs even though I have the 32 LED board selected in the LED Config section. Is the attract mode limited to 16 LEDs or is this just a problem because I do not have the hardware hooked up?

2. Is there a problem assigning 2 or more LEDs to the same button? The software seems to allow this. I just wanted to make sure that both leds will actually be lit in the "selecting games" mode.

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa LED Support Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 01:40:28 am »
I do not have the MaLa LED hardware yet but was looking into the software that supports it and had a few issues that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. The attractmode program only allows me to add 16 LEDs even though I have the 32 LED board selected in the LED Config section. Is the attract mode limited to 16 LEDs or is this just a problem because I do not have the hardware hooked up?

You can use EVERY led in attact mode. Trust me I use 'em.   I have 48 of em running (but it supports up to 64)

I assume you got the wrong impression by looking at the attract mode editor default setting? Sometimes the settings can be fiddly to change. Have a look at attached pic for set-up for 32 LEDS

Once you get your hardware I can guide you through set up if you want. I have done it many many time (beta testing)

2. Is there a problem assigning 2 or more LEDs to the same button? The software seems to allow this. I just wanted to make sure that both leds will actually be lit in the "selecting games" mode.
No Issue, both will light up (with the latest version)

Enjoy

stoli

• Offline Offline
    • Stoli's World
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 09:57:02 am »
Maybe it's a bug in the attractmode software because I do have the 32 LED board selected like you show in the pic. I can select 16-32 on the list, and assign buttons to them but it will only show LEDs 1-16 on the screen.  Come to think of it however, I made that change after I did an initial save with the default settings. I will start with a clean slate and select the 32 board as step 1.

What does the checkbox next to each Led in the list do?

stoli

• Offline Offline
    • Stoli's World
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:17:59 am »
.... I will start with a clean slate and select the 32 board as step 1.

No luck. Tried on 2 different computers (XP Pro and XP Media Center) and can't get more than 16 to show up. Maybe because I don't have the hardware?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 07:03:05 pm »
.... I will start with a clean slate and select the 32 board as step 1.
No luck. Tried on 2 different computers (XP Pro and XP Media Center) and can't get more than 16 to show up. Maybe because I don't have the hardware?
I just tried on 2 PC's and it did work ok :-)
Did you set up your defaults correctly?
Did you check the 'Use for new files box'?
(See Picture attached)

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 07:08:22 pm »
Maybe it's a bug in the attractmode software because I do have the 32 LED board selected like you show in the pic. I can select 16-32 on the list, and assign buttons to them but it will only show LEDs 1-16 on the screen. 
Yeah I think you are right, so to make it work for you:
You need to set the defaults first!

I have never had this issue before as when I connected the hardware I set my defaults with that set-up.

But I can understand you want to have a play before you get the hardware.

So I just tried it on two PC without hardware and it does work if you save the defaults first

What does the checkbox next to each Led in the list do?
I'm glad you asked. When the hardware is connected, clicking the checkbox will light the LED. This allows you to see what button is lit so you can assign it accordingly. This is a great feature as when you wire up the LEDS you don't have to worry about what LED number is going into what button as your can assign them however you like later   ;D

Check out the ugly panel I just made (attached)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 07:27:39 pm by loadman »

stoli

• Offline Offline
    • Stoli's World
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 07:37:32 pm »
I guess it is me. I just tried again by saving the defaults like you said and still no go. It will only display 1-16.   ???

I tried selecting 32(1 Board), 48(2Boards), and 64(2 Boards) and no matter how many leds over 16 I assign, it will only show 16.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 07:54:20 pm by stoli »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 08:17:56 pm »
After you save the  deafults are you then starting a 'New' layout. Then changing the 'LED Config' NOT 'LED Default Config' to assign your buttons?

stoli

• Offline Offline
    • Stoli's World
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »
I was not resetting the default config apparently. Now I see that if I change the default config to "32 (1 Board)" and then check the "Use for new files" box, then it works fine. I guess just a little confusion on my part. Thanks for the help. I'm sure it will make more sense as I start creating new attract mode sequences.

It looks like no matter what board you have selected in the "LED Config ...", the software looks at the "LED Default Config ..." to determine how many LEDs are allowed on the canvas.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 08:53:24 pm »
It looks like no matter what board you have selected in the "LED Config ...", the software looks at the "LED Default Config ..." to determine how many LEDs are allowed on the canvas.
You are right, That is a bug. I never noticed that bug before as when I connected my hardware I set-up my defaults then.

But Hey, It works now!   :cheers:

Have fun making Led Sequences.

You can make many, then choose to have these sequences playing in a random order if you want and MaLa also includes a built in Random sequence you can choose to add to the mix. (See Pic A)

You can also have mala play sequences triggered by certain events (See pic B)

PS I'm painting the skirting boards at home right now an I just got paint on the keyboard (D'oh!)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 08:55:27 pm by loadman »

stoli

• Offline Offline
    • Stoli's World
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 09:21:43 pm »
Awesome. I am really getting excited about the MaLa FE.  There are a few more bugs that affect my setup that I think are already fixed - just waiting for the next release - then I should be good to go.  I have been using MAMEWAH and the only thing that I can think of that I like better than MaLa is the speed at which I can scroll through the games with the trackball. MaLa seems to lag a bit in that department. There is an acceleration setting that I think affects that, but I maxed it out and it is still a little slower than MAMEWAH. Can't have everything I guess. No matter what, the price is right and you have to hand it to these guys (youself included) that devote so much of their time to this stuff. I think I might have to go with the GGG LED hardware with the IOWarrior mod, but Stefan will definitely be getting a little Paypal compensation for his efforts.

-Stoli

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 10:09:16 pm »
the speed at which I can scroll through the games with the trackball.

Have you tried de-selecting some of these options to get some more speed? (see attached pic)

I think I might have to go with the GGG LED hardware with the IOWarrior mod,
Cool, Let me know how you go.

but Stefan will definitely be getting a little Paypal compensation for his efforts.
Cool, I'm sure he appreciates the odd small token donation to keep him motovated   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 11:22:17 pm by loadman »

stoli

• Offline Offline
    • Stoli's World
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 10:21:56 pm »
Ahhh. I knew there would be a way. No time to try it tonight. Off to San Francisco for a few days. I'll check it out when I get back.  Cheers.

-Stoli