Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mala problem with .lnk files  (Read 2394 times)

theCoder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
Mala problem with .lnk files
« on: July 22, 2006, 02:23:21 am »
Yesterday I went through turning off many services on my machine, carving a lot of time off the boot cycle.  Now, some of my games won't launch.  I have a mixed group of pinball files in a directory of type .bat and .lnk.  I have the rom extensions set to lnk, bat  and the Command Line set at "%path%\%rom%.%ext%".  This worked fine before I went in and shut down approximately 19 services.  I have another emulator in another directory that is filled only with .lnk files with the Command Line set to "%rom%".  The files in this directory still launch fine. 

So...I shut down some service that is needed to get Mala to work with a .lnk file with the command line set at "%path%\%rom%.%ext%".  Any ideas?

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Mala problem with .lnk files
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 05:16:31 am »
If you are sure everything worked well before started turning bits of XP off then..

Should you consider backing up you gaming directories (like Mame/mala/pinball etc) as you should do that anyway

Then possibly do a .....................

After that you could take notes of what services you want to shutdown and ask SWINDUS if that will affect MaLa?

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:20:25 am »
I am assuming the BAT and LNK games can still be executed via the command line with no problem?

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 11:44:34 am »
I am assuming the BAT and LNK games can still be executed via the command line with no problem?
Yes.  They both still work from the command line.  Also, if I have no bat files it will launch lnk files with "%rom%".  It is though the file association is messed up somehow if both bat and lnk are involved.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 08:32:34 pm »
I didn't get it fixed so it can use mixed file types, but I did figure out a work around.  Instead of using .lnk files, I made bat files that did a cd to the directory then launched the exe.  Among other pinball, I'm using Microsoft Pinball and the wrapper (I forget who wrote it) that allows you to launch individual tables.  Anyway, they use bat files, so all my pinball games are now referenced with .bat files.  In Mala, you have the option to launch "hidden".  This hides the black dos screen when the .bat file is launching.

Not a fix, but a work around.

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 08:39:39 pm »
 ;D  Cool