Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: act-labs lightgun sensitivity  (Read 3480 times)

2slk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2004, 11:38:09 pm
  • Fascinating, Captain.
act-labs lightgun sensitivity
« on: March 07, 2003, 02:46:56 am »
 Could someone explain what effect changing the X & Y lightgun sensitivity in the MAME analog menu has on gameplay? Thanks!!

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Re:act-labs lightgun sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 03:06:19 am »
Huh?  Change a light guns X-Y axis sensitivity?  Why would you want to do that?

The only thing I imagine that would accomplish is manual calibration (ie: move the lightgun less and have it move more on the screen if you increase the sensitivity).

Weird.. try it! :P
k-spiff

u_rebelscum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 03:47:25 am »
Could someone explain what effect changing the X & Y lightgun sensitivity in the MAME analog menu has on gameplay? Thanks!!

Nothing, depending.

Mame ignores it if lightguns are enabled and you use a mouse of lightgun.

It's designed (and still used) for analog joystick, trackball, spinner, and keyboard simulation of those.  So, if you don't enable lightgun support but so enable mouse or joystick and use either, mame uses it.  Or if you use a keyboard or digital joystick (8way or d-pad), mame uses it.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 04:58:59 am »
Those would be useful settings to tweak for a positional gun like from T2..

Come to think of it, I never tried a gun game with an analog joystick.. when you play with one, does the crosshair return to center when the stick is centered or just stop where it is?

If it returns to center, I may still try to use these T2 guns.. I've been concerned about using them because if the crosshair just stops then it'd be impossible to keep 'calibrated'..
k-spiff

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 04:29:34 pm »
yeah it returns to center.  the cursor constantly follows the axis position.. its not like a normal game where you press left and it moves left.  so if you move the joystick to the far right corner then the cursor will be in the far right corner..etc   If you were to play it with a digital 8-way it would just go from the center to all 8 extremes and nothing in between...not very fun at all.. unless you enjoy getting gunned down ;D