Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MALA startup / shutdown probs  (Read 4317 times)

Quarterhorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2007, 01:25:17 pm
  • She tried grabbing Chuck's wheel -- ONCE
MALA startup / shutdown probs
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:43:29 pm »
I recently upgraded to the newest MALA version (1.0 RC5) and love it.  I'm using XP with MALA tree.  It automatically goes into it via XP.  Now, the weird thing is, my arcade controls (namely my joystick to move the game list up and down) doesn't work UNTIL I click somewhere in the background with my wireless mouse.  THEN everything works fine.  Joystick is controlled via IPAC on the PS2 slot and wireless setup is USB.  Also, now with shutdown, it will only exit the program back to windows and won't shut down my computer (yes I have it set that way on the Options)....Strange that it had all worked until I set up everything on the mala tree.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? 

Also....previously on my background music songs it used to start the last song where it was left when a game was launched...now it restarts the last song played at the beginning of the track (and not where it was in the song when the game was launched)...and never cycles to the next song (a minor nuisance)....is this intentional or do I have the settings wrong?

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: MALA startup / shutdown probs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 11:12:49 pm »
I recently upgraded to the newest MALA version (1.0 RC5) and love it.  I'm using XP with MALA tree.  It automatically goes into it via XP.  Now, the weird thing is, my arcade controls (namely my joystick to move the game list up and down) doesn't work UNTIL I click somewhere in the background with my wireless mouse.  THEN everything works fine.  Joystick is controlled via IPAC on the PS2 slot and wireless setup is USB.  Also, now with shutdown, it will only exit the program back to windows and won't shut down my computer (yes I have it set that way on the Options)....Strange that it had all worked until I set up everything on the mala tree.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? 
Some PC's with XP have issues if MaLa is launched on Startup. This may be the cause. What can happen is MaLa launches before XP has loaded properly. Try adjusting the splash screen delay to 10 secs to see if this resolves it. (see attached screenshot) I had to set mine to 7 secs
Also....previously on my background music songs it used to start the last song where it was left when a game was launched...now it restarts the last song played at the beginning of the track (and not where it was in the song when the game was launched)...and never cycles to the next song (a minor nuisance)....is this intentional or do I have the settings wrong?
I found this too with the lateset versions. I think it is a bug. I have asked SWINDUS in the MaLa forum about it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:14:23 pm by loadman »

Quarterhorse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 01:10:14 pm »
Thanks for your advice.  I'll give it a try.  It may simply take longer to load since using mala tree and doing that. 

Update(s) to follow. 

Any ideas why shutdown isn't working correctly for me while using mala tree?  Bug?

edge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2023, 11:56:46 am
  • AttractMode and GroovyArcade rock!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:18:50 pm »
I, too, have the same problem where I sometimes need to click/move my mouse before Mala will respond to any joystick movement.

Here's the scenario:
  • I play a few games.  Exit back to Mala.  I walk away from cab to tend to wifey/kids.
  • Power saving mode kicks in.  LCD screen goes to power saving mode.  XP goes to screen saver mode (blank screen).
  • I come back to cab a few hours later.  Wifey watching GH, kids sleeping soundly.
  • I grab joystick and move it up or down.
  • The LCD senses something and comes back to life.  I see Mala.
  • Moving the joystick, however, does not do anything in Mala.
  • I press my right mouse button, then left.
  • Mala works.

It is as if Mala loses window's focus. 

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you want me to try anything out.

swindus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:52:50 am
    • MaLa - M.A.M.E. Launcher
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:06:41 pm »
Any ideas why shutdown isn't working correctly for me while using mala tree?  Bug?

I also noticed that with my setup. Using a tree too and the shutdown doesn't work anymore. Did you try the alternative shutdown method (shutdown.exe)? This works for me. But I will do some more research ...

swindus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:52:50 am
    • MaLa - M.A.M.E. Launcher
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:07:20 pm »
I, too, have the same problem where I sometimes need to click/move my mouse before Mala will respond to any joystick movement.

Here's the scenario:
  • I play a few games.  Exit back to Mala.  I walk away from cab to tend to wifey/kids.
  • Power saving mode kicks in.  LCD screen goes to power saving mode.  XP goes to screen saver mode (blank screen).
  • I come back to cab a few hours later.  Wifey watching GH, kids sleeping soundly.
  • I grab joystick and move it up or down.
  • The LCD senses something and comes back to life.  I see Mala.
  • Moving the joystick, however, does not do anything in Mala.
  • I press my right mouse button, then left.
  • Mala works.

It is as if Mala loses window's focus. 

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you want me to try anything out.

Will check this.

Quarterhorse

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:42:26 pm »
Yes, shutdown.exe will work, but then I have to manually turn off the computer (not ideal for me).

Thanks for advice and looking into this.

No luck with changing the delay in recognizing my joystick without first clicking on my mouse (update).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:47:48 pm by Quarterhorse »