Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Advice, Power ON/OFF switch  (Read 26661 times)

clhug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 10:49:58 pm
Re: MAME Advice, Power ON/OFF switch
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »
I used a smart strip and wired the power pins from the PC motherboard to a button on the control panel.  BUT, to hide the button, I put it recessed in the BOTTOM of the control panel.  So nobody can see it, but I know exactly where to reach under to press it.

Why are people worried about arcade authenticity when you've got things like "exit" and other control buttons on the control panel?  You're worried about one more button?  But at least it can be hidden so that normal guests/players don't see it or hit it by accident.

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 05:09:31 am »
As many others have done, I bought a small SPST switch and mounted to the very top of my cabinet after drilling a small 1/2" or 3/4" hole so I can stick a finger into that hole and press the button. Just like the power button on your computer, it simply turns on the computer when pressed. At the other end, I just used the PWR connector going into the motherboard and the computer p/s itself is plugged into the CONTROL plug on my Smart Power strip so it has constant power. The marquee light, monitor, fans, and speaker amplifier are all plugged into the ACTIVE outlets so once the computer turns on, everything else in the cab turns on.

Right now, because I'm still working on the software side, I haven't figured out an easy way to get the cabinet to turn off -- what ends up happening is I use the actual keyboard that I still have plugged in vis USB to tell Windows XP to shut down. Once the computer shuts off, the Smart Power strip turns off everything else. I need to figure out how to get that to happen using just the cabinet controls.

Good thread...I'll keep an eye on things to see if there's a surefire way to make this work.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 05:39:52 am »
As many others have done, I bought a small SPST switch and mounted to the very top of my cabinet after drilling a small 1/2" or 3/4" hole so I can stick a finger into that hole and press the button. Just like the power button on your computer, it simply turns on the computer when pressed. At the other end, I just used the PWR connector going into the motherboard and the computer p/s itself is plugged into the CONTROL plug on my Smart Power strip so it has constant power. The marquee light, monitor, fans, and speaker amplifier are all plugged into the ACTIVE outlets so once the computer turns on, everything else in the cab turns on.

Right now, because I'm still working on the software side, I haven't figured out an easy way to get the cabinet to turn off -- what ends up happening is I use the actual keyboard that I still have plugged in vis USB to tell Windows XP to shut down. Once the computer shuts off, the Smart Power strip turns off everything else. I need to figure out how to get that to happen using just the cabinet controls.

Good thread...I'll keep an eye on things to see if there's a surefire way to make this work.
You could have your frontend shutdown Windows on exit...

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 05:50:02 pm »
      On mine I wired a led arcade switch on the arcade to the power switch, when I push it once quickly it suspends, or if it sets idle it will suspend. then I set up wake on usb that wakes the computer when I move the joystick. Sometimes I will leave it suspended for weeks.It always starts right up. I don't know what the big mystery is, it is an easy fix. If that wouldn't work for you most front ends I think have an option to shut down on exit Or just shut it down. Back your ROMS up if it messes up reload windows. On startup, put your front end folder in the startup folder then the front end will start on startup.
     BTW where did that built in keyboard with a cover come from.I want one of those.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
I know this probably goes against common practice here but I have a bartop that I just cut the power on and it has been working faithfully, in fact it's the oldest machine I currently have in my collection, for over 8 years now. I've heard all about how this is supposed to "ruin" the HD by crashing the read head onto the platters and all that jaz but frankly it works great. Never had a problem with it.

I've also done this with a couple other machines (tho they aren't as old) and never had a problem. I have come to the conclusion that it may not be as big a problem as it has been made out to be...
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 02:14:09 am »

My mame cabinet is set up like yours. I just hit the button again to shut down the computer. You can do this while in game with no ill effects. You just need to set up XP power settings to "shut down when power button pressed".
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 12:07:04 am »

You could have your frontend shutdown Windows on exit...

My mame cabinet is set up like yours. I just hit the button again to shut down the computer. You can do this while in game with no ill effects. You just need to set up XP power settings to "shut down when power button pressed".

I had completely forgotten about this when I posted.  :-[ Wow...problem solved. This is why I love this forum.  ;D