Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 video cards possible in DOS?  (Read 2044 times)

WB

• Trade Count: (0)
2 video cards possible in DOS?
« on: April 17, 2002, 02:35:03 pm »
Got a new computer with a nifty Geforce 3 Ti 500. However, now Arcadeos won't show anything in 15 khz-mode on my arcade monitor (NeoTec 2515)! Also, AdvanceMame/Menu will run, but the colors are completely washed out.

It seems as if my geforce card is incapable of producing a proper 16-bit 15 khz mode.

Has anyone gotten a Geforce3 Ti 500 to work (good...) with ArcadeOS/AdvanceMame and a standard res arcade monitor?

If not, (which brings me to my main question) is it possible to use 2 separate video cards in DOS? That is, I'd like to use my geforce in win XP most of the time, but in DOS (which I start using a bootable CD) I'd like to use a ATI PCI-card. Would that be possible?

I know it's possible to use 2 video cards (feeding separate monitors) in windows, but how about good old DOS? I suspect it would require some sort of driver.

I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on these matters!

Also, this whole situation kinda makes me wish I'd gone with a TV instead of a real arcade monitor... However, up until now it was a really easy mame-cab to install, with the awesome JPAC, a ATI Rage Pro video card and an old ISA Soundblaster 16... The problem was that other than that, the old computer was very crappy.

/ Peter

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

tom61

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
Re: 2 video cards possible in DOS?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 08:08:56 pm »
There's a setting in most computer BIOSes that let you switch between having the AGP video as primary and the PCI video as primary.  Called something like "Video Intitialization Order" or "Video Enumeration Sequence".

Change that setting to PCI first and DOS will use the PCI card exclusively.  In this setting your PCI card will be seen as Primary, and your AGP as secondary to Windows.  This means the 3D features of your Geforce will not work (only Primary can do 3D under Windows), so you'll have to reboot and go into the BIOS each time to switch between DOS and Windows.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »